Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
May 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #1,666 of 4,538
Any E.S. Posthumus and 2 Steps from Hell Song/Music - Their comopositions are used in almost every movie out there!
o2smile.gif

May 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,667 of 4,538
Keep this thread going!! I've found some great music here. Including my favorite live album of all time: Alice in Chains: MTV Unplugged...eargasm.

May 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,669 of 4,538
Quote:
Keep this thread going!! I've found some great music here. Including my favorite live album of all time: Alice in Chains: MTV Unplugged...eargasm.

I second!
Nice album. You might also like Korn's MTV unplugged. It's one of my favorites live records. 
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #1,671 of 4,538
I'm a huge DMB fan. I've been into their "Live" recording for several years. Busted stuff is also good but just an average recording. I haven't listened to "Crash" in years and certainly not since I've been into head-fi. I gave it a listen a few days ago and it's a must add to the "wow" list. I very dynamic and well mastered. I love the use of horns and saxophone. Great album too.

May 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #1,672 of 4,538
I LOVE Dave Matthews.... I had tickets to two of his shows this summer, but unfortunately couldn't go to the first one, and it looks like things aren't going line up for the second one either...

My favorite song for my current setup, which is not that great, is Shotgun or The Idea of You - both live recordings....
Out of all of my roughly 5000 songs, about 8-900 of them are Dave songs!

May 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #1,673 of 4,538
Quote:
I LOVE Dave Matthews.... I had tickets to two of his shows this summer, but unfortunately couldn't go to the first one, and it looks like things aren't going line up for the second one either...

My favorite song for my current setup, which is not that great, is Shotgun or The Idea of You - both live recordings....
Out of all of my roughly 5000 songs, about 8-900 of them are Dave songs!

Are those on a "live album." Or only heard at concerts?

thanks...Matt

May 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #1,674 of 4,538
The Idea of You is from Live Trax Vol. 6.

Shotgun is from the 2007 Summer Tour Sampler.

There are several versions of each of those songs. I haven't ever heard them live, but i have heard snippets of other versions and the lyrics tend to change quite a bit. 

May 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #1,676 of 4,538
Just tried Avril Lavigne's last album "Goodbye Lullaby" with my Q701... WOW! I wasn't expecting that. Really well mastered. The sound stage is impressive. When I close my eyes I can actually place the instruments in space.

I don't know if I finally hit a filter on my NFB-12 that just sounds perfect for me, but the guitar from this album is very well reproduced. The album has an acoustic sound to it, and it's fitting perfectly with my current setup. I must admit it's the first album I listen to that makes my Q701 WOW me.

May 27, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,677 of 4,538
MattTCG, you and I must have very similar musical taste (and ears).

Two "reference" recordings I like to use are Alice In Chains "Unplugged" (I LOVE the dynamics on this record), and DMB "Crash".  I ALWAYS use these two records (along with several others) to audition/test new speakers for their strengths and weaknesses.

Earlier today I was giving "Some Devil" a spin on my SR80is and realized that it too is a very well recorded, and well mastered disc. I am more familiar with "Crash" however, and love all the great sonic textures on that record. It's a pretty amazing album, both aurally, and content wise, IMO. This is the same view I have on "Crash" as well.

To add to the thread I want to toss out Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", Norah Jones "Not Too Late", Jack Johnson "Sleep Through The Static", Black Eyed Peas "The E.N.D." (this record is mastered a bit too "hot" for my taste, but is useful in testing for sibilance and bass response), Radiohead "In Rainbows".

For "punchy" sounding rock records, I like to listen to Marcy Playground's first record, and Green Day "Nimrod". Both of these records are compressed a bit, to give them their sonic "punch", but I feel that neither one (their mastering engineers) went too overboard with it, and find them to sound very pleasing, and aurally exciting.

There are others as well, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. These are generally the ones I always grab, when trying new gear though. In the future, I will probably add either Skrillex "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites", or Deadmau5 "4x4=12". I need to familiarize myself with these records a bit more, and the Skrillex seems to be mastered a little hot, but track two is a nice test to see if a speakers upper mids are "harsh" (for lack of a better word) sounding. The Deadmau5 record seems to have a better mastering job, but like the Skrillex record, I just haven't owned it long enough to become intimately familiar with the sound.

Mumford and Sons "Sigh No More" has been impressive to me as well, and seems to be fairly well recorded and mastered. I will keep it in "heavy rotation" (along with Skrillex, Deadmau5, and the newest Norah Jones record "Little Broken Hearts", to see what tracks are useful in finding the strengths/weaknesses of various audio components. That, and I like their musical content quite a bit as well.
wink_face.gif
L3000.gif

May 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #1,678 of 4,538
Just got to say that after spending the afternoon listening to Diana Krall "Live in Paris" for the third time, it goes right to my top five all time live recorded albums. It's simply a phenominally recorded and master work. 

If you enjoy jazz at all and female vocals, then run don't walk to get this one. In a word...wow 
atsmile.gif

May 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #1,679 of 4,538
Quote:
MattTCG, you and I must have very similar musical taste (and ears).

Two "reference" recordings I like to use are Alice In Chains "Unplugged" (I LOVE the dynamics on this record), and DMB "Crash".  I ALWAYS use these two records (along with several others) to audition/test new speakers for their strengths and weaknesses.

Earlier today I was giving "Some Devil" a spin on my SR80is and realized that it too is a very well recorded, and well mastered disc. I am more familiar with "Crash" however, and love all the great sonic textures on that record. It's a pretty amazing album, both aurally, and content wise, IMO. This is the same view I have on "Crash" as well.

To add to the thread I want to toss out Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", Norah Jones "Not Too Late", Jack Johnson "Sleep Through The Static", Black Eyed Peas "The E.N.D." (this record is mastered a bit too "hot" for my taste, but is useful in testing for sibilance and bass response), Radiohead "In Rainbows".

For "punchy" sounding rock records, I like to listen to Marcy Playground's first record, and Green Day "Nimrod". Both of these records are compressed a bit, to give them their sonic "punch", but I feel that neither one (their mastering engineers) went too overboard with it, and find them to sound very pleasing, and aurally exciting.

There are others as well, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. These are generally the ones I always grab, when trying new gear though. In the future, I will probably add either Skrillex "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites", or Deadmau5 "4x4=12". I need to familiarize myself with these records a bit more, and the Skrillex seems to be mastered a little hot, but track two is a nice test to see if a speakers upper mids are "harsh" (for lack of a better word) sounding. The Deadmau5 record seems to have a better mastering job, but like the Skrillex record, I just haven't owned it long enough to become intimately familiar with the sound.

Mumford and Sons "Sigh No More" has been impressive to me as well, and seems to be fairly well recorded and mastered. I will keep it in "heavy rotation" (along with Skrillex, Deadmau5, and the newest Norah Jones record "Little Broken Hearts", to see what tracks are useful in finding the strengths/weaknesses of various audio components. That, and I like their musical content quite a bit as well.
wink_face.gif
L3000.gif

Definitely agree with you on: Some Devil and Mumford and Sons. Got to try a few of the others.

May 28, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,680 of 4,538
I'm currently undertaking the arduous task of re-ripping my music collection, or in the case of crappy iTunes downloads, re-buying music. I grabbed the Alice in Chains Unplugged today and am really enjoying it.

I picked up some Paul Simon, Echo and the Bunnymen, The XX, and some Bela Fleck. (Which I loved, but the CD I picked up sounds horrible. The mastering must be really bad.)

I'm getting a lot of really great suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

S-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back