Songs that make your headphone WOOOOOW!!!
Apr 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,606 of 4,538
Betweeen my ADH700's and my HD25's these are the albums that immediately spring to mind:

"Warpaint" by Warpaint the album has heavy rotation on my iPod still since I bought it 18 months plus ago.  The whole album is just a cracking piece of alt/psychedelic pop-rock that is just blissful to listen to out on the deck on a balmy evening.

"Elyzium" by Fields of the Nephilim is my 'lose yourself' album.  I put it on turn it up and get embraced by morphic fields.  This is the album Pink Floyd would have made in the mirror universe.  It's a fantastic piece of mood enhancing and mind expanding dark, dark prog rock.  It can scare the **** out of you one moment and bring you close to tears at the end.

"The Boatmans Call" by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds is melancholia/self scrutinisation and angst done only as Nick Cave and Blixa could.  A startlingly moving album that I'll never get bored of.

Jazzanova, Depeche Mode, NiN, Joy Division, Madeline Peyroux, Charles Mingus, Bebel Gilberto, FFDP, Mastodon, Holst, Orbital, Charlie Parker and dozens more could have all made it up there.  I love the soundstage of my 700's and sometimes despair at the lack of bass.  I love the tightness and neutrality (to my ears) of my HD25's but woe at the lack of soundstage (seriously, it's near non-existant after the 700's).  My next mission is to find what pair of cans can best fit my tastes.  I'm gonna try and save around 400 USD,and I have the D5000 and the RS2i's at the top of the options right now.  Or maybe a desktop tube amp like the Little Dot Mkiii.

Decisions, decisions...

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,607 of 4,538
For my Monitor 10s, pretty much anything. Lol. But seriously, I can't seem to pick just one for this headphone. For my SE-50, I'd say Jimi Hendrix-Bold As Love. Also, Green Day seems to sound good on these. Actually alot of metal does too. I think it's their laid back nature that smooths the sound, and I like it.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,608 of 4,538
Listen this classic !!!

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,610 of 4,538
Oh yeah, I know that song. Good call, I'm gonna go youtube it right now and see if it makes my cans go WOOOOOOOOOOOW too. :)

On my new Denon D5000's the song Crystallize by Lindsey Stirling is WOW for me. It is a combination of dubstep and violin and just...wow. Though, anything by her is amazing on these headphones.

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #1,611 of 4,538

Quote:
On my new Denon D5000's the song Crystallize by Lindsey Stirling is WOW for me. It is a combination of dubstep and violin and just...wow. Though, anything by her is amazing on these headphones.

OMG!!! It's been ages since a song made me smile like that! This is Incredible! Thanks for sharing this with us! 
L3000.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #1,614 of 4,538
My last eargasm song was:
"In The Eye" from Suzanne Vega's Solitude Standing LP

...my typical can testing songs are:
"Oh Yeah!"  from  Yello's Touch Yello 2009 virtual concert
"Dodge the Dodo" - E.S.T. (Esbjörn Svensson Trio)
"Slave to the Rhythm" - Grace Jones
The complete LP: "The New School Of Flamenco Guitar" - Gerardo Nunez
The complete LP: "Ten Summoner's Tales" - Sting

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #1,615 of 4,538
Hey thanks for Crystalize!! Nice track and sounds great. I've tried to warm to Ten Summoners Tales for about the past decade. Just doesn't do it for me. Weird cause I love Sting.

Keep 'em coming guys...

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #1,616 of 4,538
If you want to hear what angels sound like in heaven, I have a fair idea this is what it sounds like. 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,617 of 4,538
Maybe I was brainwashed with the Summoners Tales:
I caught the flu when the CD came out and I was listening to it the whole time I had to stay at home...

But I am a true Sting and The Police fanatic: I like all his albums except the philharmonic sell out one
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,618 of 4,538
I saw a few of the Tom Waits songs referenced here. I haven't listened to Tom in a number of years. I went back and listened to Mule Variations this morning and it's unbelievably good. Picture in a Frame is a real standout. You can hear the bench creak often while he's playing the piano. Very beautiful with a great sound stage. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,619 of 4,538

Quote:
I saw a few of the Tom Waits songs referenced here. I haven't listened to Tom in a number of years. I went back and listened to Mule Variations this morning and it's unbelievably good. Picture in a Frame is a real standout. You can hear the bench creak often while he's playing the piano. Very beautiful with a great sound stage. 

Picture in a frame is a real stand out for me too, however, Hold On is my favorite track on the album. There is some sub bass on that track that is my test to see how far a speaker or headphone can reach. A great album both musically and sonically. I would put it up there with his other greats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back