Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Oct 13, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,216 of 1,377
Awesome. The fact that you may be adjusting the bass and highs, doesn't that negate the whole flat line which you sent to get customized and perfect? Or am I missing something? Maybe you're wanting slightly less bass frequency that the average line from True-Fi gave you? But if that's so, wouldn't you just bring it down a bit with the setting?

Would love to understand your thinking because it may help me better understand this approach.

What I wanted from sonarworks is to bring down the spikes in the frequency responce to flat or near flat. Then if I want to tilt up the bass or highs to my taste I can do so. Even the midrange as I also use a schiit loki.:beyersmile:
Flat is not necessarily perfect to me but its where I want to start from.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #1,217 of 1,377
Awesome. The fact that you may be adjusting the bass and highs, doesn't that negate the whole flat line which you sent to get customized and perfect? Or am I missing something? Maybe you're wanting slightly less bass frequency that the average line from True-Fi gave you? But if that's so, wouldn't you just bring it down a bit with the setting?

Would love to understand your thinking because it may help me better understand this approach.

For me, I find that having to adjust the bass and/or highs to be a pretty rare thing and it's always to compensate for a less-than-stellar recording. In those cases I'm very grateful to have those controls without having to send the data through yet another device/app, etc. This is also another way that Reference 4's UI is leaps and bounds better than True-Fi's. And on that subject, I mentioned this before but Ref 4 has also been a more stable program for me. True-Fi always felt like a work in progress almost, whereas Ref 4 has a much more polished look and feel.

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,218 of 1,377
Can anyone help me. How do you chain Sonarworks together with other VSTs? Is it possible?

I have the Sonarworks system-wide set up but want to add other effects. I can do this in foobar2k and JRiver, but I want it systemwide to use with video's, streams, netflix/movies etc. not just in foobar alone...

About sonarworks, i sent in my own modded headphones (customer driver audio technica's). The flat EQ is way too flat. After days messing around, tweaking, playing the dry/wet knob; I found that adding toneboosters Morphit on top of sonarworks in 100% flat mode is just amazing.
I wish Sonarworks still had their "Simulate" function, would have saved me the headache of setting up this vst chain lol. But the effect is so worth it. sonarworks 8/10, sonarworks + morphit = 10/10. End-game for little money, hell yes.

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,219 of 1,377
Can anyone help me. How do you chain Sonarworks together with other VSTs? Is it possible?

I have the Sonarworks system-wide set up but want to add other effects. I can do this in foobar2k and JRiver, but I want it systemwide to use with video's, streams, netflix/movies etc. not just in foobar alone...

About sonarworks, i sent in my own modded headphones (customer driver audio technica's). The flat EQ is way too flat. After days messing around, tweaking, playing the dry/wet knob; I found that adding toneboosters Morphit on top of sonarworks in 100% flat mode is just amazing.
I wish Sonarworks still had their "Simulate" function, would have saved me the headache of setting up this vst chain lol. But the effect is so worth it. sonarworks 8/10, sonarworks + morphit = 10/10. End-game for little money, hell yes.

Maybe my question goes in a similar direction. I would like to use an external DAC but do not understand how I could use my Sonarworks Reference Headphone edition here.

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,220 of 1,377
Maybe my question goes in a similar direction. I would like to use an external DAC but do not understand how I could use my Sonarworks Reference Headphone edition here.

I’m not sure what source you are using but if for example you are using Audirvana or Tidal as your source, you would choose SW as the output to either of those sources, and then choose your DAC as the output in SW.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #1,221 of 1,377
I’m not sure what source you are using but if for example you are using Audirvana or Tidal as your source, you would choose SW as the output to either of those sources, and then choose your DAC as the output in SW.

Sorry, I am using a Windows 10 Laptop. I attached the ifi DAC via USB. I can now select Sonarworks as an output or the ifi DAC. If I choose Sonarworks, tries to play via the internal speakers. If I use the ifi DAC the sound is without Sonarworks EQing.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,222 of 1,377
Sorry, I am using a Windows 10 Laptop. I attached the ifi DAC via USB. I can now select Sonarworks as an output or the ifi DAC. If I choose Sonarworks, tries to play via the internal speakers. If I use the ifi DAC the sound is without Sonarworks EQing.[/QUOTE

After you selected SW as the output for the IFI DAC, did you go into the settings in SW and select the IFI DAC as your output device?

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,223 of 1,377
I had my Z1R's custom calibrated by sonarworks and really like the result. also like that I can adjust the bass and highs.
How do the Z1R's compare with the 800s?

Wow I'd really like that and very curious how's the sound of Z1R with Sonarworks??

I still love the Z1R for other than acoustic and vocals. For me HD800S has some edge for vocals and acoustics especially with Sonarworks, it's very smooth and full. But don't get me wrong Z1R is still marvelous for other genre's especially Rock, EDM, etc. It's just that the vocals being put a bit behind. Strangely though I feel Z1R a bit more airy compared than the HD800S even though it's a closed back one :) but I understand it's a very polarizing headphones. I myself never heard of Ether Flow Closed or Abyss or HD820. Thus for me Z1R is the best closed HP that I've heard.

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #1,224 of 1,377
After you selected SW as the output for the IFI DAC, did you go into the settings in SW and select the IFI DAC as your output device?

Thanks. Finally found it. Funny enough it is not selectable (or I did not find it) in the main window but only in the little task bar at the Windows task bar. But now it works. Thank you again, because I did already give up.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,225 of 1,377
Thanks. Finally found it. Funny enough it is not selectable (or I did not find it) in the main window but only in the little task bar at the Windows task bar. But now it works. Thank you again, because I did already give up.

Not sure why SW chose not to put the settings icon in the main window as well as the task bar, but glad you found it.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #1,226 of 1,377
Has anybody compared the LCD-X with the average Sonarworks file vs custom calibration? Is it worth the 150€? I am using the LCD-X for mixing and want to get the best out of it :wink: Also, is everyone using sonarworks at 100% wet with LCD-X? Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back