Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Oct 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #886 of 1,377
Recalibrated HD-800s. Downloaded the curves today should receive the headphones back tomorrow. Top is the original calibration profile, bottom is the new profile. Not a lot of difference except in the bass there is a significant delta that should tone down the correction which will hopefully clean up the bloated bass I was hearing. Not sure if they fully remeasured it as the two are almost impossibly identical above 200hz but if they did the repeatability is indeed impressive on their measurement rig. Guessing they remeasured but then just tweaked the original profile to compensate for the bloated bass.

Insight into this process RudeWolf?

Original Profile:
HD800s-v1.png

New Profile:
HD800s-v2.png

Oct 12, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #888 of 1,377
i downloaded ref3 plugin to be used with jriver and with my focal elear- mojo---burson v2+ --- good result

also at the same time i got the schiit loki a nice hardware and I can achieve good results--- still dont know which I like more loki or SW

I tried SW system wide and again good results

now I have a question by calibrating are we not removing the character of a headphone completely

I wish SW would add more options like a parametric eq that we an use after we flatten out the response, in case we want to add more bass and treble or more mids. instead of this tilting thing, which does not help alot in fine tuning

truhifi app was not optimal with my elear I do not know why, also the compensation when i set my age 44 yielded in a very annoying sound signature so treble highs, i had to set it to age 15 :) to not get bothered by that option, of course after that I stopped using that option

i for sure will by one of those I am just thinking which one ( system wide, heaphone plugin ) , and if there will be a new version of SW will buyers who bought the old version be able to update for free or is it like Jriver every time a new version comes out you have to buy it

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #889 of 1,377
i downloaded ref3 plugin to be used with jriver and with my focal elear- mojo---burson v2+ --- good result

also at the same time i got the schiit loki a nice hardware and I can achieve good results--- still dont know which I like more loki or SW

I tried SW system wide and again good results

now I have a question by calibrating are we not removing the character of a headphone completely

I wish SW would add more options like a parametric eq that we an use after we flatten out the response, in case we want to add more bass and treble or more mids. instead of this tilting thing, which does not help alot in fine tuning

truhifi app was not optimal with my elear I do not know why, also the compensation when i set my age 44 yielded in a very annoying sound signature so treble highs, i had to set it to age 15 :) to not get bothered by that option, of course after that I stopped using that option

i for sure will by one of those I am just thinking which one ( system wide, heaphone plugin ) , and if there will be a new version of SW will buyers who bought the old version be able to update for free or is it like Jriver every time a new version comes out you have to buy it
How do your Audeze's sound with SW? Not sure what timeline LCD-2 is supported.

Bern

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #890 of 1,377
How do your Audeze's sound with SW? Not sure what timeline LCD-2 is supported.

Bern

lcd2 to me sounds great and i love its sound as is so i did not spend time using sonarworks with lcd2

its the elear i am trying to get it optimized and see whether i like its stock sound or calibrated using sw

also having the loki is making things more difficult which i prefer to use with elear , is it loki and elear or sw with elear

one thing that is starting to concern me, is using either will not make me like the stock sound of elear if my brain gets used to listening with loki or sw. The elear is such a polarizing headphone, sometimes with some songs it can sound amazing as is and with other genres or songs it can be such a can that i can not listen to it at all. But that bad feeling goes away once you listen to a great recorded song on elear and you reach levels with elear that can let you forget its poor performance with other songs. To fix the elear add few db at the 4khz with a wide q in parametric eq can solve the dip issue. Also I add a few dbs at 84 hz to add more bass

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #891 of 1,377
Is there a way to play hd music files with foobar and my external DAC Chord Mojo I cannot make it works with Sonaworks? without it I got no issues!

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #897 of 1,377
I purchased v3 back on 7/30 and when I tried to upgrade, it told me I have to pay yet the previous page said I should get it for free. Just emailed support - we'll see what they say...

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #898 of 1,377
I have tried both Sonarworks Reference 3 and 4. In general, I liked the software. The only thing that is bothering me is their averaged headphones profiles - I am not convinced I can trust them. You can see a comparison below how they have updated DT880 average profile after releasing Reference 4. We can say average profile was very inaccurate in hi-frequencies, but is it accurate now and can we trust it? Will it drastically change again after they release Reference 5?

GIqJVm.jpg

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #899 of 1,377
I have tried both Sonarworks Reference 3 and 4. In general, I liked the software. The only thing that is bothering me is their averaged headphones profiles - I am not convinced I can trust them. You can see a comparison below how they have updated DT880 average profile after releasing Reference 4. We can say average profile was very inaccurate in hi-frequencies, but is it accurate now and can we trust it? Will it drastically change again after they release Reference 5?

GIqJVm.jpg
From my understanding they take an average of what they measure. So it basically boils down to the headphone variance itself. I just wish they had a US shipping center to send to and receive from.

I use the HD800 preset and love it. I could never manually EQ to satisfaction.

Bern

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #900 of 1,377
With my HD700's the highs are tamed very nicely, so that some of the music I have I can actually listen to now. And my problem with the website was the fact that I couldn't distinguish between "July" and "September" and the fact that they are not equal.
*facepalm*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back