Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Aug 15, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #377 of 1,377
Rudewolf, thanks a lot, this is the best news I have heard in the portable audio realm since ever really. A Sonarworks player along with a nice closed compact circumaural like the PM-3 or M50 would be a very optimal portable setup. I could have used something like that during my long flights.

The holy grail though is IEM calibration, it would bring a much needed standard to the IEM market. The IEM landscape is like a wild west right now, and not in a good way. Manufacturers are not divulging their target curves, many are trying to achieve FR targets with multiple drivers leading to time domain issues, others are in fact simply using this as an excuse to cram more drivers into their IEMs to charge a higher premium, etc etc. They are all approaching a problem from the analog side that should really be better dealt with from the DSP side.

I can definitely feel you on the issues of IEM fit, and how this would effect consistency for the end user. There are some IEMs that are very ambiguous with insertion depth such as the RE400, while there are other IEMs that are shallow fit and much simpler, leaving only issues of seal. It did suddenly hit me though that people who would seek calibration would more likely insert their IEMs in a proper way, as there is a bit of self selection bias going on.

I do hope that Sonarworks continues to work something out for IEMs, and maybe in the future offer an IEM calibration service with a big disclaimer for punters like me. There is also the fact that IEMs would be very cheap to ship, and individual calibrations/pre-calibrated sets could maybe even turn to be very profitable. Since IEMs are often used to share music between friends, this could lead to a lot of word of mouth sales and expand the brand, and, oh wait I'm rambling now.

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #378 of 1,377
  Rudewolf, thanks a lot, this is the best news I have heard in the portable audio realm since ever really. A Sonarworks player along with a nice closed compact circumaural like the PM-3 or M50 would be a very optimal portable setup. I could have used something like that during my long flights.

The holy grail though is IEM calibration, it would bring a much needed standard to the IEM market. The IEM landscape is like a wild west right now, and not in a good way. Manufacturers are not divulging their target curves, many are trying to achieve FR targets with multiple drivers leading to time domain issues, others are in fact simply using this as an excuse to cram more drivers into their IEMs to charge a higher premium, etc etc. They are all approaching a problem from the analog side that should really be better dealt with from the DSP side.

I can definitely feel you on the issues of IEM fit, and how this would effect consistency for the end user. There are some IEMs that are very ambiguous with insertion depth such as the RE400, while there are other IEMs that are shallow fit and much simpler, leaving only issues of seal. It did suddenly hit me though that people who would seek calibration would more likely insert their IEMs in a proper way, as there is a bit of self selection bias going on.

I do hope that Sonarworks continues to work something out for IEMs, and maybe in the future offer an IEM calibration service with a big disclaimer for punters like me. There is also the fact that IEMs would be very cheap to ship, and individual calibrations/pre-calibrated sets could maybe even turn to be very profitable. Since IEMs are often used to share music between friends, this could lead to a lot of word of mouth sales and expand the brand, and, oh wait I'm rambling now.

I agree. A mobile version of sonarworks sounds great, but my fullsize headphones are largely wedded to my desktop setup. If I'm going mobile IEMs are the natural choice for me. 

At the same time, the logistical difficulties Rudewolf brought up are a real challenge. The frequency curve will fluctuate wildly with insertion depth and positioning. At the same time, if the correction could be measured against some ideal placement, the consumer could play with positioning after applying sonarworks.

As it is now, once I insert the phones I move it around to get the optimum sound. I would think adding sonarworks would give me a better ideal I could achieve by exploring placement/insertion depth. . 

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #379 of 1,377
Can anyone please explain how i install this program step by step? Ive downloaded the free trial headphone calibration, entered the activation code, and then what? It just says in the right corner "License not active" ..........

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #384 of 1,377

I lost my presets a few months ago, but it was quickly fixed by re-activating the plugin. It should automatically redownload its libraries on its own, but its faster to just reactivate it.

I used a different VST wrapper for foobar. it see have to fixed the issue. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #385 of 1,377
Anyone running Sonarworks system wide on their Windows 10 PC. I'm going to try the method listed on the Sonarworks site using VB Audio Cable and Pedal Board.

Just curious if this is what works best? Or maybe someone has found a better way?

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #386 of 1,377
​I  use Sonarworks as a VST plug in on JRiver MC21.  Pretty seamless,  but I just listen,  don't use it in a DAW for mixing or production.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #388 of 1,377
This is what I'm currently doing I'd like it to run system wide so that even sound outside of Jriver will run thru sonar works. Netflix, Amazon, ect.

I am using VB cable along with PedalBoard 2 just like the video from Sonarworks. No complaints from me, just make sure in order to reduce latency and lag as much as possible, set your DAC and VB cable settings to the highest rate possible, for me that is 96000 hz. I was using 41000 hz for a while, and it was painfully laggy, but the settings are easy to change in Pedalboard, I also set the audio buffer size to 960 (10 ms) and it is working great. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #389 of 1,377
I am using VB cable along with PedalBoard 2 just like the video from Sonarworks. No complaints from me, just make sure in order to reduce latency and lag as much as possible, set your DAC and VB cable settings to the highest rate possible, for me that is 96000 hz. I was using 41000 hz for a while, and it was painfully laggy, but the settings are easy to change in Pedalboard, I also set the audio buffer size to 960 (10 ms) and it is working great. 

Got this to work last night... Very nice set up. I also received a coupon from Sonarworks this morning... Really thinking I may have to purchase this.

That being said it's also making me want to give the hd800's another whirl.

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #390 of 1,377
Id be very curious to see how Sonarworks would work with the hd700's while I was never very fond of their overall sound. They are super comfy and have a great soundstage.
Has anyone sent a pair in for calibration?
I thought I read hd700 thread people where using the hd800 profile and tweaking it? Anyone have any feedback on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back