Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
Dec 11, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #436 of 1,377
I have to admit that I'm disappointed with the list. I mean, don't get me wrong....this software is worth the price for the hd800 alone, easily. But there are so many headphones that are such great candidates for SW EQ:

*Ethers (all variations)

*Nighthawk

*Hifiman Edition x

...to name just a few. Oh well, maybe one day. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #438 of 1,377
  I have to admit that I'm disappointed with the list. I mean, don't get me wrong....this software is worth the price for the hd800 alone, easily. But there are so many headphones that are such great candidates for SW EQ:

*Ethers (all variations)

*Nighthawk

*Hifiman Edition x

I may be buying the Utopia or Ether Flows this week. If I go with the Flow I'll send them off to be calibrated and share the calibration file here.

The HD800 is a different beast when paired with Sonarworks.

Incredible isn't it. I can't get my head around anyone with HD800's not using SWR3. Makes no sense whatsoever!

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #440 of 1,377

*Ethers (all variations)

*Nighthawk

*Hifiman Edition x

As a weathered head-fier I'd be disappointed too. But you need to keep in mind that we're a pro audio brand first and foremost. These lists are generated by user requests and most of these guys are using these cans for mixing. Sometime next year we might do extra work on the 'phile side of things.

I'd very much like to do a joint mass measurement project with niche headphone mfg's, but so far most of my team is neck deep into pro stuff.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #441 of 1,377

As a weathered head-fier I'd be disappointed too. But you need to keep in mind that we're a pro audio brand first and foremost. These lists are generated by user requests and most of these guys are using these cans for mixing. Sometime next year we might do extra work on the 'phile side of things.

I'd very much like to do a joint mass measurement project with niche headphone mfg's, but so far most of my team is neck deep into pro stuff.

I really do appreciate that you guys make an effort to communicate with the community here. And yes, I understand that this is a more of a "side project" for you guys than your primary interest. You really have done something special with the hd800 and I advocate for you every chance that I get. 

I would send in all my headphones for individual calibration if only the shipping weren't so prohibitive. Regardless, thank you for what you've contributed to the audiophile community and I certainly appreciate that you'll be looking to add other headphones in the future. 

Happy holidays to you guys and continued success....

beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #442 of 1,377

What's the turn-around for individual headphone calibration if sending from the UK?

Will be either Ether Flows or Focal Utopias.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #445 of 1,377

When I saw the list, I was first a touch disappointed, and then just thought "yep, that makes sense."

Especially beats, partly because they're popular, but also partly because I've seen a lot of the micro-label hip hop producers actually using them to put tracks together.

On the plus side, I'm actually glad you guys are a pro-studio company first, because it means you can't get away with the bullschitt that a lot of "audiophile" companies do. Coming from a pro studio world means your software has a level of no nonsense, no compromise quality to it that I really appreciate. I'm not sure it would be the same if you came up in the snake oil world of audiophile land.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #446 of 1,377
On the plus side, I'm actually glad you guys are a pro-studio company first, because it means you can't get away with the bullschitt that a lot of "audiophile" companies do. Coming from a pro studio world means your software has a level of no nonsense, no compromise quality to it that I really appreciate. I'm not sure it would be the same if you came up in the snake oil world of audiophile land.

I too once thought that snake oil is a 'phile realm exclusive.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #447 of 1,377
I don't get it. How are programs (or I guess they are plug-ins?) like Sonarworks and equalizer programs supposed to be used? Do you need some kind of software to run them? I am pretty new to this whole thing.

So far I downloading a couple programs like Sonarworks Reference 3 and DMG Audio EQuilibrium and they both just installed a bunch of folders on my computer with various .dll and plug in files. I am not seeing any of the GUI's that people have been posting.

I thought it was as simple as downloading the program and running the .exe 
confused.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #448 of 1,377
These plugins run in AU, AAX Native, RTAS and VST format.  Which are plugin formats mostly for pro studio plugins.  You need a program or host that supports one of those plugin types.  Here are videos showing how to use the program system wide: http://sonarworks.com/2016/03/system-wide-calibration/

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #449 of 1,377
  I don't get it. How are programs (or I guess they are plug-ins?) like Sonarworks and equalizer programs supposed to be used? Do you need some kind of software to run them? I am pretty new to this whole thing.
confused.gif

Okay, I got it to work with foobar2000. Here's what you need to do.

Download and install the free trial of Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone. (Or purchase it.)

Download and install this VST adapter in foobar2000.

Go to Components, VST plugins and add the Sonarworks plugin.

Go to Playback, DSP Manager and activate the Sonarworks plugin. Then click Configure Selected.

Dec 13, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #450 of 1,377

So far I downloading a couple programs like Sonarworks Reference 3 and DMG Audio EQuilibrium and they both just installed a bunch of folders on my computer with various .dll and plug in files. I am not seeing any of the GUI's that people have been posting.

confused.gif

It was mention earlier...worked for me:

I follow this to set up, makes life easy

https://sonarworks.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/202298185-System-wide-Calibration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back