Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
Nov 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #286 of 331
  I replaced the cable with a jack and removed the springs in the swivels and cups to get rid of the creaking plastic noise.

beerchug.gif

Hi care to post url/info about this jack?

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #287 of 331
  Hi care to post url/info about this jack?

Sorry there is no info / URL as the jack was repurposed from a 3.5mm TRS extension cable. The hole in the ear cup was enlarged to accomodate the jack size and JB Weld epoxy was applied to the back.

You just cut the plastic away and unsolder the existing cable on the jack.
One like this would work perfectly but I imagine you could get one at a Dollar store near you easier.
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #289 of 331
Just received them. HM5 pads will be here in 2-3 days as well.
First impression: I don't like them.
After 30 seconds of listening, I removed the dampening, because the highs were lacking and sounded awkward.
The bass is also lacking for calm listening. After I turn them to 90% of the volume on my iPad 2 then the bass comes to play.
Also they lack in resolution, detail and dynamics.The sound just isn't punchy (mainly noticeable in the drums - the snares don't hit nearly as hard as they have to). I will leave them to burn in for 20 hours and after I receive the HM5 pads I will test them again.
I hope that the frequency range will extend in both directions and the dynamics will improve.

Actually even Koss KTXPRO1 sound better and they cost less than 10$

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #290 of 331
After 30 seconds of listening, I removed the dampening, because the highs were lacking and sounded awkward.
The bass is also lacking for calm listening. After I turn them to 90% of the volume on my iPad 2 then the bass comes to play.
Also they lack in resolution, detail and dynamics.The sound just isn't punchy (mainly noticeable in the drums - the snares don't hit nearly as hard as they have to). I will leave them to burn in for 20 hours and after I receive the HM5 pads I will test them again.
I hope that the frequency range will extend in both directions and the dynamics will improve.

I don't know how efi-82 mt sounds before certain amount of burn-in, as I received mine already used. About highs I must say that they are very well extended and not lacking in both extension and quantity. KTXPRO1 shares same drivers from KCS75, and KCS75s aren't even close to efi-82 mt in terms of sound quality.

Dec 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #291 of 331
+1 to the above.

90% Volume on the iPad... You should look into a nice amp for them.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #292 of 331

This isn't the sound at all. The bass is very much prominent, and midbass is definitely boosted. They don't lack in extension either.

I agree with the others. Try an amp or a different source.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #293 of 331

This isn't the sound at all. The bass is very much prominent, and midbass is definitely boosted. They don't lack in extension either.

I agree with the others. Try an amp or a different source.

Left them burning in for 30 hours on 50hz sine tone.
The HM5 pads arrived. I placed the original dampening material back on and put the hm5 pads. I hit the play and
basshead.gif
The sound is amazing in every aspect. I just cannot believe how important earpads and burn in are.
They sound nothing like the first time I listened to them!
Awesome!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #294 of 331

Left them burning in for 30 hours on 50hz sine tone.
The HM5 pads arrived. I placed the original dampening material back on and put the hm5 pads. I hit the play and
basshead.gif
The sound is amazing in every aspect. I just cannot believe how important earpads and burn in are.
They sound nothing like the first time I listened to them!
Awesome!!
smily_headphones1.gif

You convinced me to get the HM5 pads. Kinda stunning what ~$40 can get you sound wise.

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #295 of 331
Very comfy pads the HM5's are, I have them on my Ultrasone's.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #296 of 331
Sorry to bust your balls. The headphone is a fake Sony MDR V700. Counterfeits were made in Shenzen, China. Sony discontinued the cans in 2009. Guess they're called the EFi-82 MT now.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #297 of 331
Sorry to bust your balls. The headphone is a fake Sony MDR V700. Counterfeits were made in Shenzen, China. Sony discontinued the cans in 2009. Guess they're called the EFi-82 MT now.

Either you spent very little time looking at pictures of both models or listening to either, or you're trolling. They look nothing alike and aren't a counterfeit of anything.

Actually produce some evidence when making a bold claim like that.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #298 of 331
Just wanted to share this with you, sorry for the bad picture quality.

A few years ago I picked up a pair of closed cans on a big sale for about $10, ordinary price around $40 I think. They looked like typical OEMs, branded by a local Swedish agent of computer accessories (Deltaco HL-45), but sounded surprisingly good. I have only used them in my very simplistic home recording studio, hence haven't listened to any professionally mastered music, only me and my guitar... :p

I was really surprised to suddenly see them (or at least some extremely similar headphones) hyped here. Plugged them in to my SMSL Fort just now and wow, they do sound sweet! To my ears, they are a tad harsh in the treble (but not even close to my ear piercing Takstar Hi2050) and maybe a bit recessed in the midrange, but over all nicely balanced without being unengaging. To be fair though, my most loved phones are the Sony MH1C with a really warm and smooth sound signature, so don't take my word for it. Over all, I'd say they sound fairly close to my Sennheiser  HD 595, which is quite remarkable for the price of a beer. :)

Some pics...

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #299 of 331
bhazard,

Sorry if I offended you. I didn't say the innards were the same. What I'm talking about is the body. You didn't have to make discourteous comments about my character.

The Sonys were my first cans when I learned to DJ. You can't say I'm unfamiliar with those cans.

I'm posting this on DJForums. Let's see what that others think.

Photos are attached, believe what you want. I stand firm that it's the same body with a paint job and extra skillet design on the ear cup.

Here's what to look at:

1) Headband 
2) 5 dots above the joints
3) Hinges
4) Joints
5) 50mm driver

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #300 of 331
There are design similarities, but counterfeit is a very strong word and implies fraud. Counterfeits are made to mimic the original product exactly, Sony logos and the exact color scheme would also be used in that case.

If what you said was said towards a US based company and their product, you would need strong evidence to back such a claim up, or they could sue you for Libel right from what is posted on this very internet forum. You would get a Cease and Desist letter first to remove it. It has happened before.

In fact, a US company (Soniq) does import this headphone and rebrands it under their company name and charges $99 for it. They could very much sue you if you said the same about their product.

"Soniq", sells them for $99 in the US, which gives you an idea of the price/performance ratio.
http://soniqusa.com/products/thrust/
http://www.adorama.com/SOSH9000M.html

I'm not offended, but be careful on making such claims. Being a Chinese company doesn't mean they are automatically a lesser company than most international brands, and don't deserve the same respectful business treatment. I find their quality better than the majority of well known audio products you see that are pushed in stores like Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back