Something other than the AD700 for gaming/music use?
Nov 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Silverion77

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Bit of a newbie asking for a suggestion and recommendation. I've been stalking the forums for a couple years now, not really seeing the need to post. The threads I read basically gave most of the information I needed.  I told my other friends that are gamers to get the AD700s and they absolutely love them.  I think I've gotten 5+ people to skip or switch from "5.1" headphones :
biggrin.gif
.  I personally own a pair of HF-2s and I will never give them up...

Lately though, I've been looking for a bit of an upgrade for gaming/music use. The Grados fit well with my music, but when it comes to gaming they lack slightly (not that they are bad cause some parts sound great).  I'm just looking for something different. Also, I will be going off to school and taking the HF2s are a no-no for my parents and I.

So, I'm basically looking for a nice headphone (sub-$300 about) to go well with gaming and music.  I've done previous readings on the forum so please don't say to go "search and such".  I think I've read close to 30+ threads on this specifically.  I know the AD700s are good, but I was hoping for something a step above them if there is such a thing
smily_headphones1.gif
.  Music wise, I have a very broad taste.  It's mostly classic/alternative rock, but I listen to anything from that to classical, hard rock, jazz, metal....you name it.  For gaming, its anything, but I also do VoIP (if that matters) Immediately I thought of the DT880s, because they are extremely favored for both general music as well as gaming. I've also seen Ultrasone mentioned here and there, but any other recommendation would be great.

Another issue is amping. For DT880s, I would like to get the 600ohm version and obviously onboard can't come close to powering those. Would the Asus Essense STX be able to do it well or would a full external amp be good?  If so, are there some recommendations that would go well with this system?

Thanks again guys for your help!

Silver

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 12
One headphone I could suggest that's very good for gaming is the AKG k601. They have lots of detail, a good soundstage and imaging. They also don't have a ton of bass and I hate bass heavy headphones for gaming. They're not neutral, but seem to have slightly forward sounding mids. They will have more bass than the AD700 though when properly amped. They do need a fairly powerful amp. I use mine with the $250 Schiit Asgard and it's a really good match. It can power them easily.

They're also the best headphone I've heard yet for music. Well worth the $240 or so I paid. Probably some of the best vocals I've heard and to me they even sound good with rock music. After burn in the highs are not rolled off in any way like some people say. I have no idea why. They're also not bass light, but also not bass heavy. If it wasn't for the slightly forward upper mids they'd be quite neutral.

The k601 is also quite comfortable. It doesn't have those annoying bumps like the k701 pads have.

The DT-880 600 might be good to0. I liked it, but I doubt it'd be better for gaming. Maybe. It actually felt way harder to drive than my k601. I had both at the same time and sent the DT-880 600 back due to it losing out against the k601. Mostly for vocals though and I don't like the treble on the DT-880 600 ohm. It's probably my favorite Beyer Dynamic headphone though.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 12

They might be able to, but I'm not sure. They're quite hard to drive. Even on my Asgard I have to put the volume at nearly 75%.
I had to put a Beyer Dynamic DT-880 600 at almost 100%.

It's a lot different to me. I think the k601 has slightly more forward mids and is less neutral overall. I think it may have a bit more bass then the k701, but I'm not sure.
I've also found it better for my music. It does vocals very well and is one of the main reason I love it.

I think it's possible the k701 has a bigger soundstage, but the k601 may have better imaging. It'd be interesting to do a comparison.
Quote:
hmmm, I'll look into it.  Are they that much different than the K701?!

Anyways, any other suggestions and what about the Essense STX? Will that work or do I need a little bit more oomph

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 12
FiiO E9 is $129 and can handle 600 ohms with ease. You won't need another external amp upgrade unless you're trying to get into tubes and stuff. Since I'm guessing you will be using your soundcard as a source a DAC isn't necessary; but you can get the E7 to go with it if you need one.

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 12
DT 880/990's are as good as they get unless you want to spend exponentially more. For gaming purposes the cause is lost if you go any higher.

Also, you have to consider that the sound in games can only get so good. This isn't music we're talking here. Positioning is up to other hardware (Soundcard/Mixamp) and if you don't have the necessary amplification then that is where I'd look next. Your rig is only as good as it's weakest link so if you have money left over look to improve your source and amp.

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 12
I've been asking myself this question a lot lately.  I really wish there was more information out there about the k601.  For some reason they don't get a lot of attention.  I mainly am interested in the k601 vs. ad700 vs. dt990 soundstage and imaging.  I'm sure the k601 and dt990 are steps up in terms of detail.  If anyone has owned all three they should feel free to chime in :wink:

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 12
The FiiO E9 is small enough to fit in a backpack but I wouldn't recommend taking it to school. As I said it is $129 and can drive basically everything under the sun. If you get the E7 with it you save $30.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513411/micca-store-fiio-e7-e9-headphone-amplifier-bundle-for-199-95#post_6938991

Also, I have not heard comparisons to the K601 but MLE has compared the K701:
Quote:
Mad Lust Envy said:

I dunno, I owned both the K701 and DT990s, and felt I no longer had a need for the K701 and sold them. They are both bright and have a spacious soundstage, but the 990s have a more musical sound (fun), while the K701 is analytical. The bass of the 990s is a lot more present than the K701s.

The K701 is an improvement over the AD700 in practically every way, IMHO.

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Well that doesn't seem too bad.....DT880 600ohm would go nicely with it I would assume.
Edit:  Did some reading on the E9 and it seems like a steal for the money!!!!  Especially when paired with some DT880 600s!

For the longest time I was thinking of making a Millett Minimax...how would that compare?

And wat about Ultrasone?  I see them tossed around here and there, but I'm really unsure what their sound signature is like.  Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back