some help choosing a headphone...
Jan 28, 2011 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

matryx

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone and need some help picking one out

Source: PS3, Sansa Clip+, Patriot Box Media Player, WDTV Live, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver

Budget: $100 - $200 + $80 - $130 for DAC/AMP
- I will probably be using these with the Astro mixamp in the future

Use: Blu-ray movies - I want something that can really go low on the bass frequency. I like to feel my bass.

- Games. Looking for something to immerse me into single player games. I do some competitive gaming also so I'm going to need a mic  whether that be a clip on mic or a headphone with a built in mic. I probably can't get both so if I need to buy two separate headphones then I'll get one for non-competitive first and look into getting the AD700 everyone seems to praise about. But I rather get one headphone that does all that if I can.

- Music - R&B, hip hop, and progressive house music. I like my music with bass.

Comfort: I'm going to need something comfortable that I can wear for hours. I don't want to be sweating in it because sometimes I will have 2-3 hours long gaming sessions. So comfort is very important.

These are going to be used at home so it doesn't need to be portable and I rather get a open headphone since I hear that they provide a bigger soundstage.

Choices:
Ultrasone HFI 450
AD700 for competitive
DT990? Not sure which ohms to get since I heard that I need a separate amp to drive some of the higher impedance one with my mixamp. I will be using voice chat.
DT770
DT880
SHR750DJ

Would the Astro mixamp but enough to power the headphones with higher impedance?

Anyone other suggestions?

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Be aware that DT990 while having tight well controlled punchy not bloated just exactly right for rock/metal, for example, bass have very bright highs so they may not be for you, i personally selling my right now because of that.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 5
I just picked up the SHR750DJ from Future Shop and I'm breaking it in right now. I listened to a couple of songs and I find that they sound great with music. I also plugged these into my Yamaha receiver and tried watching a blu-ray. I find that they aren't very good with action pack movies. It doesn't compare to my 5.1 home theater system. It seems like there isn't enough bass.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
It seems like there isn't enough bass.

Wow, they are known for having good bass. 

Probably not a good option for Fps gaming though...

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Maybe it's because I haven't burned them in enough yet. It just doesn't have the impact like I was expecting. The treble seems kind of harsh for me on some songs. This is what I found when I was listening to Swedish House Mafia album in FLAC on my desktop computer.

These definitely aren't for gaming. I felt the KSC75 sounded better but I broke it already after 4 days of use :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back