Some advice on first high-end headphones
Jan 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

detoxguy

100+ Head-Fier
Here is my dilemma, I have a bit of a lump sum of money coming and I have decided to take the plunge and purchase my first set of high(ish) end headphones. I've done some research and seem to have narrowed it down to two options the AKG K701/702 or the Grado RS2i. I've attempted to research both on here (joined the site specifically to do this) and seem to have just confused myself even more. 

Some background information: I listen mostly to rock/roots music (black keys, mumford and sons, white stripes, drive-by truckers etc.) but also a little bit of hip-hop and various genres. I will be listening mostly through my macbook pro, sometimes through my iPhone (have crappy monster beats solo for that, I know, I know but they were a gift and seem ok for casual mobile listening) and have recently bought an entry level turntable which is run through a pioneer receiver (seems to have an ok headphone out jack). I also have a large head.

I am super nervous about this decision as I won't likely be in a position where I can plunk down this kind of cash again in the near future and want to make sure I do this as smartly as possible. I know I should be getting a headphone amp and will be looking at affordable options (I kind of like the iBasso portables are they good enough?) 

The other dilemma is geographical, I live in saskatoon saskatchewan and there is nowhere to buy any of this gear but am going to edmonton where there are a few options I will be able to only spend a small part of one day doing this so want to have as much knowledge going in. 

so with this information what would be the best headphones for me and why? I dipped my toe into higher end headphones and picked up the akg k271 mkii and actually enjoy that sound but have heard so much good stuff about the grados that I'm tempted to get the RS2i as they cost roughly the same as the k701's (although I can get the k702 for about $170 cheaper at a different location).

so confused.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 16
personal opinion (well everyone's is) but...

AKG K701/702...I find they're lifeless in the bass department so for your type of music I'd steer away

I own a pair of Grado SR80 and have demo'ed a pair of Grado RS1 cans...very nice but comfort is still an issue

I feel biased for always saying them but if you like rock and stuff with some "bass" check the D7000's by Denon.  I can't say enough about them!

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 16
I own both headphones. I don't want to rag on the K701, but I doubt many people would recommend them over the Grado's for rock, and certainly not for hip-hop. Of the two, go for the Grado

Although, as N0sferatu suggests above, it might be worth considering the Denons. The D7000 is likely out of your budget, but the D2000 is well regarded. Contrary to what N0sferatu says, I find the Grado cans very comfortable. You just need to bend the headband to fit your head shape and desired level of clamping.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 16
Had the K701 for an extensive tryout.....also just run from my laptop (until amp arrives....
biggrin.gif
). Anyway, returned them because ultemately I simply found them too lean. Then I compared DT990s and Denon AH-D2000. Got the latter and now I am a very happy camper, so I'd definitely say go for the Denon
L3000.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 16
Well comfort got better in time but even with adjustment they still aren't the most comfortable.  Short term they aren't bad but more than an hour I found it's an issue.  Visually the Grados could look sleeker too but really who cares...it's the sound that matters! :)

Quote:

Although, as N0sferatu suggests above, it might be worth considering the Denons. The D7000 is likely out of your budget, but the D2000 is well regarded. Contrary to what N0sferatu says, I find the Grado cans very comfortable. You just need to bend the headband to fit your head shape and desired level of clamping.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 16
Just a heads up, grado's are renowned for their brilliance with rock music, I personally don't find comfort an issue, but i recommend you just force them to work with other pad types such as G or L cushions.

oh by the way, welcome to head-fi and sorry 'bout your wallet

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 16
RS-2 or D5000.  Almost like D5000 more than D7000, which are sometimes painfully bright.  Get the Denons if you will spend much time with non-rock music as Grados do get tiring and don't have spatial detail.  Get them used in the FS forum from a Canadian, and sell them for another set for a minimal loss if you don't like them.  Sell your AKGs too and you'll come out even.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks so far everyone. I think at this point I'm leaning towards the Grados simply because of what I've heard of the sound. I look at it this way, I spend most of my time with rock and when not I still have the k271 mkII and if I'm correct those will only get better with a decent headphone amp correct?

Any Canadians who can help me out by recommending good places to order an amp? any experience with iBasso for shipping etc.?

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 16
Well the day is coming. I will be visiting the good people at the gramophone in edmonton and will be looking into getting my first high end headphones. The more I've been thinking the more likely I am to just bite the bullet and look at the RS-1i. I know that if I get the RS-2i I may end up kicking my own ass for not just spending the extra cash and getting the next step up. The reviews I've read lead me to think that either set will suit my taste in music very well. I am also thinking of the iBasso D12 as a starter dac/amp and have spent much of the last 3 days re-ripping my cd collection to apple lossless (800+ discs). I have a feeling this is gonna get spendy. 

I still love my k271 mkII and think the two will complement each other well but I won't be in the position to spend this much money at once in quite a while so think I will audition the Grados and buy the one that pleases me the most. pretty freaking excited. wife thinks I'm nuts.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 16
If I could give you some advice which would have really helped me when I first took my foray into more expensive headphones -

Use the head-fi classifieds.

In reality it will probably take you a good few pairs of headphones to find the right ones for you, much longer (if ever) to find your perfect phones. If you buy them brand new you are going to take a big hit when you come to sell them as the difference between new and BNIB even is significant.

At the same time it is perfectly reasonable and acceptable to buy things used, treat them with kid gloves and then sell them for the same price again (maybe losing a little) if you don't like them or don't think they are just right for you.

It also allows you to upgrade in increments - adding a little to the budget each time you switch.

This could be good advice as both the phones you are talking about here K70* and Grados, are very much "love them or hate them" headphones that many people will just not like while others will fall in love with. That makes asking for advice about them pretty useless.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for all the help everyone. I will be using the classifieds for future upgrades and experimentation for sure but this lump sum I'm getting is from a long drawn out contract dispute between my union and employer and is the result of getting retroactive pay for a contract that took over 3 years to negotiate and so as a reward I am specifically (crazily) going to buy myself some brand spanking new headphones. I will audition as many as I can while I'm able and will go simply at the end with the pair that makes the song "everlasting light" by the black keys sound the best. As this initial purchase isn't coming out of my regular household budget or income I'm willing to take the chance. 

I will also continue cautiously exploring a continuing interest in head-fi in the future.

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 16
I'm typing this right now in absolute bliss. I got a brand new pair of RS2i's and with luck there also happened to be an RA-1 amp on consignment for $300 cdn. I could not possibly be happier at this moment. Now I'm looking at ordering the iBasso d12 to use as dac/amp for macbook pro as a source and will likely move the RA-1 to the home theatre set up so I can listen to my vinyl there. 

I love this head-fi site but have a feeling that I can now kiss all disposable income goodbye....

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 16
I'm glad you're enjoying the Grados. Sorry about your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back