Solid State Headphone Amp for work
Jul 22, 2010 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Denys

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I used to work from home at least three days a week, but now I am back at the office five days a week....
frown.gif

Anyway, I bring my 80g Ipod at work and listen to my lossless music with my Sennheiser PX100 headphones...

I wonder...would I benefit having a headphone amp ? If so, I'd choose a SS over a tube one.....

I'd also probably invest in a pair of headphones like Grado 60 or 80 or something in that price range....

If an headphone amp is a good idea, what do you suggest ??? No more than $250...

Little Dot ? Schiit ?

Please leave me your thoughts...

Thanks for your time

Denys

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 6
All the headphones you mention are open, do you work out of a cubicle or an office w/ a door. If the first you should make sure you would not bother people next to you, if the 2nd you are in luck! Based on the two amps  you list it appears you are looking for desktop and not for a portable, regardless I would check the for sale forum to maximize your return on expenditure. Personally I prefer tubes but they can be a hassle at the office and you may have to answer a bunch of questions so I would get an SS amp that can be put out of the way and no one notices.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
All the headphones you mention are open, do you work out of a cubicle or an office w/ a door. If the first you should make sure you would not bother people next to you, if the 2nd you are in luck! Based on the two amps  you list it appears you are looking for desktop and not for a portable, regardless I would check the for sale forum to maximize your return on expenditure. Personally I prefer tubes but they can be a hassle at the office and you may have to answer a bunch of questions so I would get an SS amp that can be put out of the way and no one notices.

Oooopps... Open headphones.... You're right... didn't think of it...so I should go with closed ones??? Which one ?

I have a Little Dot MKIII at home I could use, but, as I might be disturbed during the day, I don't know if a tube amp is a good idea.

As for the headphones, should I ask the question on the headphone forum???

Denys

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Any chance you could go to a meet to listen to closed headphones? I mean there are many by Audio Technica, Denon, Shure, etc to choose from. By listening before buying it would provide you with a better basis to make a choice. Good luck.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys,

I just ordered a Schiit today..... At that price, I don't think I can go wrong.....

I will soon sell my Little Dot MKIII with the tons of tubes that I bought for it !!!  
atsmile.gif

Denys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back