Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Sep 8, 2019 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

monkey4054

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've pretty much settled on upgrading to an RME ADI-2 DAC (although I could be convinced to get something cheaper). Looking for a nice head amp to go along with it, one that is more powerful and perhaps not as apparently "sterile", "clinical" or neutral (according to some people) as the one built-in to the ADI-2.

Basically, I want a powerful amp that sounds full, rich, punchy, has great bass etc. Not necessarily concerned with what is 100% accurate/transparent etc. Not really considering any tube amps as yet, but could possibly be convinced otherwise...

Budget is 1000 AUD or less, although this is somewhat flexible. I have created a poll with some of the interesting options I have found whilst doing research. Currently leaning towards the Lake People G109-S at this stage.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or comments you have. Cheers.

Sep 8, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 9
Hi everyone,

I've pretty much settled on upgrading to an RME ADI-2 DAC (although I could be convinced to get something cheaper). Looking for a nice head amp to go along with it, one that is more powerful and perhaps not as apparently "sterile", "clinical" or neutral (according to some people) as the one built-in to the ADI-2.

Basically, I want a powerful amp that sounds full, rich, punchy, has great bass etc. Not necessarily concerned with what is 100% accurate/transparent etc. Not really considering any tube amps as yet, but could possibly be convinced otherwise...

Budget is 1000 AUD or less, although this is somewhat flexible. I have created a poll with some of the interesting options I have found whilst doing research. Currently leaning towards the Lake People G109-S at this stage.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or comments you have. Cheers.

If you don’t have the ADI-2 yet, I’d just start with it and see if you feel like you need an extra amp to go with it.

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 9
If you don’t have the ADI-2 yet, I’d just start with it and see if you feel like you need an extra amp to go with it.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I just received the ADI-2 and you're totally right. Ample power from the RME's headphone out and crystal clear sound. Can imagine most external amplifiers would make the sound worse, not better. People have too much expectation bias in this hobby. Selling all my other amps and DACs....

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Hey, thanks for your reply. I just received the ADI-2 and you're totally right. Ample power from the RME's headphone out and crystal clear sound. Can imagine most external amplifiers would make the sound worse, not better. People have too much expectation bias in this hobby. Selling all my other amps and DACs....

Nice! Yeah, I don’t see you ever needing to upgrade/buy a separate component - I guess if you want to try balanced output or tubes down the line, that’s a different story.

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Enjoy your music with the RME, and try EQ-ing / different headphones before you go 'flavouring' with minute differentiations between solid-state amps - it could be an expensive and frustrating wormhole.

Sep 21, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 9
The Schiit Ragnarok is a phenomenal solid state amp and if I hadn't recently discovered my love of NOS DACs and tube amps, I'd still be using it. I'm currently selling it over on Reddit for $950 shipped. It's in excellent condition. Not trying to be shady and just pimp my gear for sale, but it's a serious (used) amp in this range.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Mar 2, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #8 of 9
The Bassman is pretty unique, even among Fenders. Can't really coax that sound out of anything else, the breakup, the clarity, the balls... But you should do your own research, read different resources. Hope you find one to enjoy music a lot

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 9

It depends on which headphones. It is not enough for 300 ohm Sennheisers as far as I'm concerned and they do better with OTL amps anyway. But the RME does well with Audeze and a lot of other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back