Softears - Discussion & Appreciation
Mar 5, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #91 of 1,593
Hmmmm, I historically wind up disliking all BA sets (after the newness has worn off over a few weeks of use), and so swore off buying again several years ago, going all-in on hybrids (which obviously have their own "issues"). However, I've always allowed for the possibility of technology/tuning knowledge to "catch up" to my preferred DD sound....or at least improve upon what I always perceived as wonky tonality/thin, unsatisfying response (particularly in the bass region, especially sub-bass).

The RSV love for the objective measurements + apparently solid build quality (**extremely important to me as it connotes overall care in the quyality of the product**) is making me pay attention. Thanks all for the impressions.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #92 of 1,593
Mar 5, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #96 of 1,593
Well that is very intriguing then 😁
I have long planned to share my test tracks/albums for each genre and also what I look for (not only good examples) so my comparisons are more relatable. I hope I will find the time to do so soon.

Appreciate your review Klaus!
Even though the Turii is far more pricey, how would you compare it to the RSV?
In terms of separation of instruments, can the RSV keep up with the Turii?
Short answer: no.

Long answer:
It is almost shocking how an IEM can sound that much more detailed... I made sure to publish a disclaimer earlier today that I linked to in the review. It's not normal that someone has so much access to great gear as I do. (Well, maybe if you live in Singapore or HK and have access to all IEM shops.) Nowadays, my reviews are based on loans, samples and discounts. Softears demos are a loan, AFAIK (they have not yet been requested back).

Otherwise, I personally would stop at RSV and say this is all I will ever need. Previously, this mark was set by the InEar ProPhile 8, an IEM I saved up for and considered end-game. Any TOTL earphone above it was different or special. The 64 Audio U12t upped that, but I couldn't afford it (but have access to it).
The RSV is straight up correct and delivers almost the same performance at a considerably lower cost. It is still a lot of money! Yes, I don't forget that. Anything 500+ is a high price. But the RSV is something I'd seriously save up for privately and pay full amount, not once questioning that purchase.

The Turii is out of my budget if I go by the MSRP. (Might not be the case for you, but for me it's 2-3 months saving without neglecting monthly obligations.) And then also the RSV is made of acrylic, much more pleasant to the touch. The semi-custom ergonomic design is wonderful with the custom Moldex foam tips. You also don't get this everyday comfort with the Turii.

But if you go by sound quality alone, the Turii has much higher resolution and a much bigger soundstage. It picks details apart like the best I know. Unless I need full isolation, I probably won't pick up the 64 Audio A18t (for which I was charged, btw) if I also have access to the Turii - it's that good! It's a different experience. The music just flows better and it's easier to catch details and also not to lose the grand scheme of things at the same time. Switching back to RSV, all of the information is there. It's just a bit harder to pick up. The best example I can give is like using glasses and the Turii being sharper, easier to see.

Nonetheless, the RSV is an IEM I can blindly recommend to anyone who is interested in IEM. The Turii I can only recommend to people searching for an adventure.

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #97 of 1,593
HOLY GOD. I just plugged the RSV into the Aune B1s fed by the E1DA 9038D.

I can't believe this thing has a BA for bass. This set IS the best thing i've ever heard*.

*I will regret this statement

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #98 of 1,593
Im trying a bunch of tracks I picked out because of various things. I can say a few things:

Bass: can hang with a DD, easily! Beats a lot of DDs with no problem, but NO bleed, no slowness. Can hit 30hz no problem.. you know what this means for a basshead.. muhahaha
Mids: YAAAS!!!! mids are the heart of music and this set gives me the huge wow factor but also, this is studio accurate
Treble: just right. Twinklies where a track calls for it. Just the right amout of 'clearness' with no harsh edge. It basically matches my JBL+Yamaha studio monitor setup for mixing.

Stage: huge if the track has it, wonderful and perfect
resolution: normal for a BA sets but a bit better since the tuning is so refined. Allows hearing more detail

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #99 of 1,593
HOLY GOD. I just plugged the RSV into the Aune B1s fed by the E1DA 9038D.

I can't believe this thing has a BA for bass. This set IS the best thing i've ever heard*.

*I will regret this statement
Now I suppose you can understand I upgraded scores on bass from A to S after finding perfect condition to run RSV!

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #100 of 1,593
I have long planned to share my test tracks/albums for each genre and also what I look for (not only good examples) so my comparisons are more relatable. I hope I will find the time to do so soon.

Long answer:
It is almost shocking how an IEM can sound that much more detailed... I made sure to publish a disclaimer earlier today that I linked to in the review. It's not normal that someone has so much access to great gear as I do. (Well, maybe if you live in Singapore or HK and have access to all IEM shops.) Nowadays, my reviews are based on loans, samples and discounts. Softears demos are a loan, AFAIK (they have not yet been requested back).

Otherwise, I personally would stop at RSV and say this is all I will ever need. Previously, this mark was set by the InEar ProPhile 8, an IEM I saved up for and considered end-game. Any TOTL earphone above it was different or special. The 64 Audio U12t upped that, but I couldn't afford it (but have access to it).
The RSV is straight up correct and delivers almost the same performance at a considerably lower cost. It is still a lot of money! Yes, I don't forget that. Anything 500+ is a high price. But the RSV is something I'd seriously save up for privately and pay full amount, not once questioning that purchase.

The Turii is out of my budget if I go by the MSRP. (Might not be the case for you, but for me it's 2-3 months saving without neglecting monthly obligations.) And then also the RSV is made of acrylic, much more pleasant to the touch. The semi-custom ergonomic design is wonderful with the custom Moldex foam tips. You also don't get this everyday comfort with the Turii.

But if you go by sound quality alone, the Turii has much higher resolution and a much bigger soundstage. It picks details apart like the best I know. Unless I need full isolation, I probably won't pick up the 64 Audio A18t (for which I was charged, btw) if I also have access to the Turii - it's that good! It's a different experience. The music just flows better and it's easier to catch details and also not to lose the grand scheme of things at the same time. Switching back to RSV, all of the information is there. It's just a bit harder to pick up. The best example I can give is like using glasses and the Turii being sharper, easier to see.

Nonetheless, the RSV is an IEM I can blindly recommend to anyone who is interested in IEM. The Turii I can only recommend to people searching for an adventure.
@HuoYuanJia Please ask Softears to loan you RS10 and Cerberus, and that will be amazing!!
I’m trilingual (JP/EN/CN) and looked up Chinese web for RS10/Cerberus, I barely found any quality reviews on neither of those... yes some weibo or blogs saying “it’s da best!!” But that’s not the kind of quality review like yours that’s convincing...

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #101 of 1,593
Now I suppose you can understand I upgraded scores on bass from A to S after finding perfect condition to run RSV!
Yep, the bass is S tier. Its perfect. Not too much, not too little, excellent extension and 'slam' .

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #102 of 1,593

Long answer:

Just purchased the RSV, bit of a leap but !!!!!!🙃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back