SoFla (Plantation) Meet: March 7, 2009
Mar 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #18 of 65
hey raffy, i seen you had the red dot in the extreme at the meet.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pico was actually a DAC/Portable amp version if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct. It was a DAC/amp combo. I remember this clearly. I didn't know if it was feeding the Woo or if the Flying Cow played some part in that.

I did listen to the Woo, and the CD I was carrying at the time was Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction. I was listening to "Sweet Child O' Mine" and to be honest, perhaps it was the combination of the equipment used, the opening guitars sounded too warm. It was missing that electric feel I hear when I listen to it at home (and this is from a PC to a Trends Audio feeding a Monarchy M24 out to a SP Extreme).

I don't know if this lack resulted from the Woo or from the Pico...

This was my first meet ever, and I didn't dare start disconnecting stuff (I didn't even know if I should even ASK that).

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are correct. It was a DAC/amp combo. I remember this clearly. I didn't know if it was feeding the Woo or if the Flying Cow played some part in that.

I did listen to the Woo, and the CD I was carrying at the time was Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction. I was listening to "Sweet Child O' Mine" and to be honest, perhaps it was the combination of the equipment used, the opening guitars sounded too warm. It was missing that electric feel I hear when I listen to it at home (and this is from a PC to a Trends Audio feeding a Monarchy M24 out to a SP Extreme).

I don't know if this lack resulted from the Woo or from the Pico...

This was my first meet ever, and I didn't dare start disconnecting stuff (I didn't even know if I should even ASK that).

IIRC, The Pico was feeding straight into the Woo.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #21 of 65
Did anyone else take pictures? If so please post them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 65
Yeah, more pictures and not to forget impressions are wanted...
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #23 of 65
Pictures, you want pictures?

Pre meet warmup on Friday included welcoming toast from Voltron's (thanks, Al, you were there in spirits, lol) Willet Family Rye by myself, tyrion, and jp11801.
Nikkor35-70-1.jpg

Nikkor35-70-2.jpg

Then it was off to the local for some pub grub and Pappy on Tappy (Pappy van Winkle) followed by Black & Tan to chase.
Nikkor35-70-5.jpg

Nikkor35-70-3-1.jpg

Nikkor35-70-6.jpg

After a short rest and relaxation period, it was time for the evening's festivities at Brother Tucker's and Brineys Irish.
Davie-March-09-1.jpg

L to R arount table: NightWoundsTime, jp's "sis" Susan, jp11801, tyrion, Guss2, agile_one
Davie-March-09-6.jpg

Davie-March-09-3.jpg

Davie-March-09-5.jpg

Davie-March-09-7.jpg

Davie-March-09-8.jpg

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #24 of 65
Did anyone compare the HD800 and PS-1000?

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #25 of 65
Saturday morning came early, but it was showtime, so everyone sucked it up and got to the meet.

Saturday-3.jpg

Saturday-Afternoon-11.jpg

Gary tweaks bias on the Aristeaus
Saturday-Afternoon-2.jpg

Mark R checks his precious with 1117 and carlsiebert in vbackground
Saturday-Afternoon-4.jpg

good looking Mike
Saturday-Afternoon-1.jpg

Carl and Mark
Saturday-Afternoon-14.jpg

mrarroyo
Saturday-Afternoon-15.jpg

Queen boomana
Saturday-Afternoon-17.jpg

Mark Reid's beautiful diy amp vied for best in show
Saturday-Afternoon-6.jpg

Saturday-Afternoon-5.jpg

Saturday-Afternoon-7.jpg

Mike's tt and Lux P-1 were stunning
Saturday-9.jpg

Saturday-8.jpg

Saturday-10.jpg

Saturday-11.jpg

Gary's SCD-1 to Aristaeus to HE90 were at the top of their game, and reaffirmed their position at the top of the headphone chain
Saturday-Afternoon-9.jpg

Saturday-Afternoon-10.jpg

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #26 of 65
But, wait, there's more ...

Pizza time
Saturday-Night-1.jpg

Saturday-Night-2.jpg

crappjones123 putting virii on my laptop
Saturday-5.jpg

Mike at work
Saturday-6.jpg

raffy digging the Woo 6 SE
Saturday-13.jpg

John & Mike decide thery are a bit parched - what to do?
Saturday-12.jpg

only one thing for it
Saturday-Afternoon-16.jpg

rest of meet shots
Saturday-Afternoon-12.jpg

Saturday-Afternoon-13.jpg

Saturday-Afternoon-14.jpg

finally, one with HighLife in it
Saturday-Afternoon-3.jpg

Matt says pack it up, meets over ... eat your heart out, stevieo
Saturday-Night-4.jpg

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #27 of 65
Of course, no Florida meet is complete without the after party, and this time it is Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes at Alligator Alley. JS and the DN is a 6 piece New Olreans based band with lead guitar, bass, drums, and 3 piece horns. They absolutely killed the joint, and we had a great night out with good friends, good food (the oyster po' boys and jambalaya were awesome, and a good draft selection was available), and terrific live music.

Saturday-Night-7.jpg

Saturday-Night-8.jpg

Saturday-Night-10.jpg

Saturday-Night-9.jpg

Saturday-Night-11.jpg

lead guitar even played cello ... very cool
Saturday-Night-12.jpg

And so another memorable Florida meet comes to a close. Well done, meet meister, Mike.
Saturday-1.jpg

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pictures, you want pictures?

Yeah, and we certainly got what we asked for. Thanks!
What can I say... Certainly looks like you had a really nice time. Dinner, beer, headphone meeting, live music, ...

No doubt you had a great time!
beerchug.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowmark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Woo Amp was using Dac from the Pico Headamp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That may be a DAC only Pico, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Quote:

The Pico was actually a DAC/Portable amp version if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

IIRC, The Pico was feeding straight into the Woo.

hmmm, seems to be some questions about my rig. No doubt due to the way it was hooked up and strung together, and to make matters worse, I changed it mid day.

Here's the skinny. Digital source and amp were unchanged throughout the day - Vista laptop with flac lossless played by foobar 2k through dac to Woo Audio 6 SE. It was the middle part that changed.

To cut to the chase on the Pico, yeah, raffy, 1117, and arrowmark correctly identified a full on Pico dac/amp. What made the whole deal confusing was that it was sitting on top of the M-Audio Flying Cow DAC/ADC. The reason is that when I first set up I took laptop usb out through a Blue Circle Audio Thingee for usb -> AES/EBU digital conversion that then went through the Flying Cow. The BS Thingee would occaisionally skip, which was very annoying. Instead of mucking about with buffering, usb optimization, etc, I just 86'd the Thingee and Flying Cow in favor of using the Pico as dac/pre to the Woo. No more skipping, but still not the optimal source for the Woo to show off what it can do. Trust me, at home with my Accuphase SACD, it is wonderful.

In any case, that was the deal, so if you heard the rig in the morning, it was the Thingee and Flying Cow doing the bit twiddling, if in the afternoon, it was the Pico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back