SoFla (Plantation) Meet: March 7, 2009
Mar 8, 2009 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
I am surprised no one has started a thread on this meet. I guess I will.
very_evil_smiley.gif

It was a lot of fun seeing so many old and new friends in attendance. To me that was the best part, looking forward to the next one.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds great, Miguel! Was there any interesting gear there?

The Luxman P1 was there.

The nice surprise was a no-name DIY tube amp made by Mark. I don't know what his handle is on head-fi.

I couldn't keep myself from going back to listening to that amp fed by the Exemplar 2900... delicious! ( I tried it with HD650's. Two different pairs, both recabled -I don't know what types of cables though).

I should have tried my RS1's on it.

Why didn't I? Grrr! Well, at least Mark is a local, so I will get more opportunities.

Also, I fell in love with Boomana's Sony R10. We are working on how to legally put myself under her will at the moment. I will let you guys know not IF, but WHEN that works out.

If I close my eyes and think really hard, I can still hear that harmonica... sigh

EDIT: Also, most of the crew went to that Alligator Alley restaurant/bar/grill locale after the meet. I couldn't attend as I had other pending priorities. I guess that explains why no one had made a thread yet: it is kinda difficult to start threads when not sober.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 65
There were:

01. Three Singlepower Extreme
02. Two Exemplar Denon 2900
03. Luxman P1
04. Marks Tube Amp
05. Sony R10, Denon D5000, HE90, RS-1, four HD650, HFI-780, ATH-ESW9, K701, ATH-ESW10jpn, HE1.2, SR60, SR225, MS2i, etc.
06. Aristeus Amp
07. Sony SCD-1
08. TTVJ FET-A Amp
09. Xin Reference C5 Board
10. HeadRoom Millet

Lots more I can't remember!
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 65
Really nice little meeting you guys/girls got there!
smile.gif

I am sure impressions will follow.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 65
Major league faux pas, here! Don't you know the rules, man? South Florida meet impression threads are ALWAYS started by Mighty Matt the Younger. No wonder none of the drunks are posting in this thread. They're all scheming at how they can get back at you for this blunder, Mr. I'll Go Ahead and Start the Thread Myself Arroyo. Eh, just kidding, the only reason that Matt always starts the threads is that nobody else can ever bother... looks like you had fun though, and that's what counts. Hi Vicki, nice to see you. Oh, and whomever else.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fred, hope you are doing well. BTW I agree, Mark's amp is a beauty. Here are some crappy pictures I took at the meet.

Thanks Miguel. And thank you everyone for the impressions. I'm living vicariously through all of you. Wish I could have been there.

I had my own mini-meet today with myself. I went to a Hi-Fi shop and listened to the GS1000s. I almost ordered them once, without hearing them first. I'd owned the SR60s and briefly auditioned the RS2s, so I had some idea about the house sound of the GS1Ks. I was pleasantly surprised. I'm going back later this week with my m902 and my HD650s. There's going to be a showdown and blood will spill into the streets of Taipei.
icon10.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any comparisons between the Singlepower and Woo amps?

I have a Singlepower Extreme at home, so I didn't try any at the meet, except Boomana's, which is heavily modified.

In the pics, hers is the one with the mini nuclear-powered proton collider reactor on top. Can't miss it.

That alone would disqualify any comparisons I make. Furthermore, her Extreme was hooked up the Exemplar 2900, while the Woo was hooked up to a laptop PC (i forget what DAC it was using at the moment).

Any comparison in sound I make will be useless. To me, all things must be equal in order to draw any useful conclusion. Sorry!

Perhaps someone else can give it a shot.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 65
EXCUSE THE DOUBLE POST:

I had quite a few of you ask me what that track was with the harmonica, the song that I used as my reference track.

Well, I know it shocked many people when I told them it is from a soundtrack to a japanese cartoon (anime series) called "Cowbow Bebop." The track itself is called "Diggin' My Potato." The composer is Yoko Kanno, with her band "The Seatbelts."

Listen here:
YouTube - Cowboy Bebop OST 1 - Digging My Potato

The compilation album the track is from is this one, Track 27 on CD1 (I'm sure you guys will recognize the album cover from the meet):
Cowboy Bebop Music soundtrack cd Box Set O.S.T

Now, this compilation has dialogue from the series, which might bother some, so I suggest you buy the OST's instead and not the compilation.

By the way, do not confuse "Diggin' My Potato" from OST 1 with "Diggin'" from OST 4. That song is still very much in the lines of the first song I mentioned. Have a listen:

YouTube - Cowboy Bebop - Diggin

Also, my favorite song from the series is on OST 4, and the track didn't make it to the compilation except as a LIVE version, but the studio version is so much better, (and why I need to get it now):

YouTube - Cowboy Bebop OST 4 - What planet is this!

I will be buying the OST's myself (there are upwards of four of them, I think, encompassing all the music played in the series), as the compialtion was still missing crucial tracks.

If you guys desire, you can wait for me to receive these, as I will be buying the OST's sometime today, and compare the sound quality to that of the compilation (the compilation has superb recording, as those who listened can attest!).

If you absolutely cannot wait, at least look up the songs on youtube (tons of them there for pre-listening from the various OST's), and decide which albums have the best songs for you.

Google up "COWBOY BEBOP OST"

Yoko Kanno also composed the soundtrack to "Escaflowne," another anime series, except this one has a medieval feel to it. One of the most standout tracks on that series is "Dance of Curse." This is way WAY different than Cowboy Bebop, and just goes to show you the talent that this woman possesses. I have all the OST's for this series.
Have a listen here:
YouTube - Escaflowne Ost I : Over the Sky - Dance of Curse

I try to branch out in music, give everything a try, and consequently have come across some real gems in the most unexpected of places.

EDIT: I will be bringing the Cowboy Bebop OST's to the Orlando meet. So far, it looks like nothing will get in the way.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowmark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Woo Amp was using Dac from the Pico Headamp.

Correct, you can see the Pico to the right of the Woo on the 4th picture of the 4th post above.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back