SoFla (Plantation) Meet: March 7, 2009
Mar 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #61 of 65
Lippen the last of the Willett juice... !?!! now we know it was a good headphone gathering....

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matt says pack it up, meets over ... eat your heart out, stevieo
Saturday-Night-4.jpg

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #62 of 65
Vinyl is great. I picked up around 2,000 LPs, mostly classical and Jazz, for 25 cents each, at our local library music archive. Also bought about 200 at Bananas, mostly classical, for a $1 each. Old vinyl sounds great, and is sinfully cheap. Mike - what do you use to clean your LPs? I use a VPI 16.5 RCM, and will try to bring a vinyl rig to the next meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinyl is still alive and well, production continuous and in some cases the quality of the record is much better. You could go to TTVJ's or Music Direct's sites and see the pressings available. Good luck.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #63 of 65
Vinyl - it's high res music you can actually get your hands on.

High-res downloads are nice and some people even prefer them to vinyl. But of all that are available, if I bought every single one that interested me, it would be - maybe- two dozen albums.

With vinyl, on the other hand, you're in danger of buying that many albums every time you go to the record store. (Depending on your level of impulse control.)

-Carl

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #64 of 65
Lost and bewildered.

Wayne points out that I posted my impressions in the wrong thread. Rather than do a permalink and all that, I'll just paste and repost them here.

Sorry 'bout that.
__________________________________________________ ______________

... and a good time was had by all. Thanks for doing this Mike!

Some impressions that come to mind (or remain in what passes for my mind):

The star of the show was Mark Reid's new tube amp. Everybody was so blown away listening to it, nobody asked if it was OTL. It had one transformer on top of the chassis, so that seems likely. In any case, it sounded magnificent driving my 650s and K-701s. (and just about every other set of headphones we had at hand) Mark also brought a brand new, un-broken-in chain-braided cable that sounded very promising indeed. Great punch and drive, a very full sound. And on static display (nobody brought any speakers) was a chip amp that looked to be a thin wooden plinth with a couple heatsinks and a transformer on top. It appeared to float in midair on a set of cones. When Mark flipped it over, it revealed point to point wiring in channels routed in the wood plinth. Brilliant.

Gary's Aristaeus and HE90s made lovely sounds. And the Aristaeus is so drop dead gorgeous to look at.

Gene's Woo 6 SE continues to impress.

Mike's analog rig sounded effortless, and well, beyond reproach - about like you'd expect a high end turntable and an absolute top-shelf amp to sound, actually.

Vicki's SP Extreme and my 701s seemed very fond of each other. We'll have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't elope.

I had never heard esw10s before. They were very involving on both Miguel's Xin and my little Tomahawk. Vicki says they can be driven straight out of an iPod, too. And they're pretty, what with the shiny wood caps and all. I never even knew I wanted small supra-aural cans before. Hmmm.

Apologies to those whose interesting gear I've left out....

-Carl

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #65 of 65
Hey,.. How come every time I see this guy (on the right), I see Headfi members out cold on the floor?!?!

Saturday-Night-10.jpg

Maybe the phrase "serial enabler" applies here!
Saturday-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Just joking of course. Some folks just seem to make having fun a little easier. Hope you make it out to CanJam so I can find out first hand.
As always, the So. Fl. gang know how to have a great time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back