SoFla (Plantation) Meet: March 7, 2009
Mar 10, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone compare the HD800 and PS-1000?

This is clearly one of the funniest posts of 2009.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm, seems to be some questions about my rig. No doubt due to the way it was hooked up and strung together, and to make matters worse, I changed it mid day.

Here's the skinny. Digital source and amp were unchanged throughout the day - Vista laptop with flac lossless played by foobar 2k through dac to Woo Audio 6 SE. It was the middle part that changed.

To cut to the chase on the Pico, yeah, raffy, 1117, and arrowmark correctly identified a full on Pico dac/amp. What made the whole deal confusing was that it was sitting on top of the M-Audio Flying Cow DAC/ADC. The reason is that when I first set up I took laptop usb out through a Blue Circle Audio Thingee for usb -> AES/EBU digital conversion that then went through the Flying Cow. The BS Thingee would occaisionally skip, which was very annoying. Instead of mucking about with buffering, usb optimization, etc, I just 86'd the Thingee and Flying Cow in favor of using the Pico as dac/pre to the Woo. No more skipping, but still not the optimal source for the Woo to show off what it can do. Trust me, at home with my Accuphase SACD, it is wonderful.

In any case, that was the deal, so if you heard the rig in the morning, it was the Thingee and Flying Cow doing the bit twiddling, if in the afternoon, it was the Pico.

Talk about lack of communication! I had my Trends Audio UD10.1 just SITTING there doing nothing. It would have been the perfect USB transport to your Flying Cow. We need to try it next time.

Perhaps at the Orlando meet I will be able to set up two rigs:

RIG 1: Laptop - Trends UD10.1 - Monarchy M24 DAC - Singlepower Extreme

RIG 2: Exemplar 2900 - Luxman P1 (if I receive it in time. TTVJ sent me an email yesterday saying it had shipped. So yes, guys, I was responsible for getting the last one -not counting the sale of Todd's own Luxman, which was the one traveling all over for sample listening). This means that if Mike (tyrion) can make it to the meet, there could possibly be two luxman p1's, one analog rig, the other digital. THAT would be NICE!

CANS: HD580, HD600, MS2i, and RS1 old school with buttons.

Problem with Rig 1 is that my laptop is on the brink of death, so I might have to borrow someone's at the meet, or build a minimalistic mini pc to do the job, kinda like a jukebox type of thing, which is something I've ALWAYS wanted to do.

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Saturday-Night-11.jpg

I'm loving the skull and crossbones theme this chick has got going on! The bandana must be a reminder for when she's looking in the mirror while fully clothed. I mean, just in case she happens to forget about the magic marker thingie on her shoulder. The cigarette is a nice touch as well. Was Mike or Numbers able to convince her to show them her other tats as well? Man, I'm getting hot just thinking about it! Did she still have most of her teeth? She does, however, look to be duly shampooed, so that's a plus.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #35 of 65
Looks like a great time, as usual!

Saturday-Afternoon-6.jpg

I love the look of this amp. It appears like the inputs & outputs were located for shortest signal path/best sound quality, rather than trying to get them on the standard front/back panel configuration. I bet it sounds great. Congrats to the builder.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm loving the skull and crossbones theme this chick has got going on! The bandana must be a reminder for when she's looking in the mirror while fully clothed. I mean, just in case she happens to forget about the magic marker thingie on her shoulder. The cigarette is a nice touch as well. Was Mike or Numbers able to convince her to show them her other tats as well? Man, I'm getting hot just thinking about it! Did she still have most of her teeth? She does, however, look to be duly shampooed, so that's a plus.

Yeah, Wayne, that shot was composed just for you. Somehow I just knew that you would notice the finer details and appreciate them. As to learning of further tats and their locations, all I can say is, what happens in Florida stays in Florida", but the Younger may have info.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love the look of this amp. It appears like the inputs & outputs were located for shortest signal path/best sound quality, rather than trying to get them on the standard front/back panel configuration. I bet it sounds great. Congrats to the builder.

Good eye, as usual, Jimmy.

Yes, Mark's amp was killer. Stunning to see, and even better to listen to. Sourced from a Exemplar Denon 2900, it drove HD6nns with authority, and brought tears to the eyes with R10s. A lovely amp that we are trying to convince Mark to make more of so others can enjoy the goodness. I'd love to have one at CJ'09.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

Yeah, Wayne, that shot was composed just for you. Somehow I just knew that you would notice the finer details and appreciate them. As to learning of further tats and their locations, all I can say is, what happens in Florida stays in Florida", but the Younger may have info.

Rub it in, man. Just go ahead. My own fault for missing the meet.

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Saturday-Afternoon-6.jpg

jpelg someone finally realized why i configured the amp in this way, shortest route to input and output in my book does equate to best sound quality.
It does sound very nice with the hd 650 that i recabled at the meet from the Exmplar 2900 source. I will continue to tweek & roll tubes to see if i can make even better.
Thanks for your vote of confidence,now i have to try and mate my Garrard 301 grease bearing turntable to Susnick battery phonostage & see how close i can get to mikes Galibier>Luxman P1 rig. That combo.......magic!

Cheers,
Mark
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back