Soekris Audiophile Line Dac's 2541, 1541, 1421, 1321, 1101
Apr 2, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #211 of 478
I personally prefer an external amp :) generally not a fan of all-in-ones, separates are pretty much always better, I use the Soekris only as a DAC.
Thanks! I am currently using a Supreme Sound Lycan to drive my HD650s and I was hoping that maybe a higher-end DAC/amp might a better option.
If only the DAC section is to be used, then the question would be whether the 2541 is worth the price premium or the 1421 is a better value.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #212 of 478
Borderline off-topic, but may I ask what do you think the best DAC-amp you have used with your HD600? Thanks!

Probably want to try out the Jotunheim with MB card. It allows you the flexibility of an AIO and also to later use it as a standalone amp. The Jotunheim 1 worked very well with HD600 and the Jot 2 may be better (have not heard that pairing myself though)

For HD600, grab a Vali 2, BH Crack, SW51, Liquid Platinum, MJ2, etc. to go with your 2541 and you will be very happy!

I personally prefer an external amp :) generally not a fan of all-in-ones, separates are pretty much always better, I use the Soekris only as a DAC.
I agree, the Amp section of the 2541 is decent, but leaves a lot to be desired. The amp section sort of blends the frequencies together and lowers the overall dynamics. Its a nice to have feature if you dont want to warm up a tube amp for some quick listening, but not going to be a long term AIO solution.

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #213 of 478
Probably want to try out the Jotunheim with MB card. It allows you the flexibility of an AIO and also to later use it as a standalone amp. The Jotunheim 1 worked very well with HD600 and the Jot 2 may be better (have not heard that pairing myself though)

For HD600, grab a Vali 2, BH Crack, SW51, Liquid Platinum, MJ2, etc. to go with your 2541 and you will be very happy!

I agree, the Amp section of the 2541 is decent, but leaves a lot to be desired. The amp section sort of blends the frequencies together and lowers the overall dynamics. Its a nice to have feature if you dont want to warm up a tube amp for some quick listening, but not going to be a long term AIO solution.
I don’t think many people seek out the Soekris units for their amp section. Their value proposition is the DAC.

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #215 of 478
Many thanks! Are you using the amp section of the 2541 as well?

Still learning how to quote! Apologies

Borderline off-topic, but may I ask what do you think the best DAC-amp you have used with your HD600? Thanks!
I only guess, it will be R2R-11, but not with the internal amp. Look at the spoiler, there are better amps on the list.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #217 of 478
Many thanks! Are you using the amp section of the 2541 as well?

Still learning how to quote! Apologies

I'm with @Baten on this. I don't like all in ones generally and definitely not with Sennheisers. I think it's a good idea to pick a good DAC and then if you can enjoy the amp section with some of your headphones then great. But I don't expect to use the amp section much.

I have it in another country so I can't check but the Audio-gd R2R-11 does a surprisingly good job with 250 ohm Beyers. For somebody who wants a really nice all in one for cheap, this one is worth a try. It has a bit of tank-like build though, industrial and not "cool." But it's a super little box.

Sennheisers seem happiest out of tube OTL amps or big honkin' solid state amps. My Sennheiser setup is Brooklyn DAC+ -> V280 -> 600/800 balanced all the way. I also run the 600s off a Valhalla 2 sometimes but the tubes I have are not clean enough for the 800s.

May 18, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #218 of 478
Dear all,

I Have some Question about the 2541...Hope you will help on this !

Any feedback if it pairs well with a Focal Utopia (Through XLR)
Regarding Price, do we know if the price can be negociated with the manufacturer ? (I'm base in EU, the +25% VAT hurts me badly here)

Regards

May 18, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #219 of 478
Having dealt with Soren, I don't think he is one to negotiate pricing on a single unit. Also note that returns within 14 days are not something he does if you buy from him directly, which we in the EU have to since there are no dealers - more specifically, he flat out ignored my e-mail when I inquired. That said, it is in my opinion a great DAC for the price despite the 25% markup. Did not use the XLR out much, however.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #221 of 478
Dear all,

Regarding Price, do we know if the price can be negociated with the manufacturer ? (I'm base in EU, the +25% VAT hurts me badly here)

Regards
The 2541 is a very good dac and the usb layer is very well implemented. The internal amplifier is good but not what deserve your focal Utopia.
Before buying you also have to know if Soren have some unit left on stock or wait for next batch...

About pricing, Soren do some rebate on product launch but side to this he is just applying list price (he do not realy like commercial discussion) !
For V.A.T. you need to buy through a compagny with registered VAT number to get exempted, this is EU regulation law.

When buying in US all the price are without taxes but at the end you have to pay local taxes anyway.

May 18, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #222 of 478
Thanks for your prompt reply guys!
Pretty sure that the 2541 is well priced for the quality it gives. Undestand that there is nothing to wait regarding the Price...
For Price/Quality, i agree that this DAC is a very nice one.
I'm looking to someting below than 1.5K with XLR output. This R2R looks very interesting. But hard to buy it without earing it before.

May 18, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #223 of 478
Dear all,

I have both and sure it'll work, output impedance is comfortably low and XLR HP out is better than SE out. But take note of the following:
-XLR is much louder faster so with sensitive Utopia, you will be very low on the gain knob :wink:
-Soekris HP out is pretty decent, but 'very good' class external amplifier can for sure sound better than the internal one! I only use it for quick listening, external amp is the recommended way to go.

About price negotiation, probably not. I have a January 2021 bought soekris 2541 I'm considering putting in the head-fi classifieds for EU sale only. PM me if interested.

May 19, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #224 of 478
I can confirm that the Utopia sounds great out of it. If you're going to get a dedicated amp in the future, then the 2541's XLR out should hold you over until then.
BUT, as @Baten mentioned, a good dedicated amp will sound better. Even something relatively inexpensive like a Jotunheim 2 gives a bump up in sound quality compared to the 2541's headphone output.

May 19, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #225 of 478
I'm sure he thinks it's unnecessary however I'd like to see a Søren DAC with 0.005% precision resistors, OCXO clocks and 2 ladders for each channel. It would cost a lot and the sonic improvement wouldn't be big enough to justify the inflation of costs from a logical standpoint. Audiophilia purchases are never about logic though. I believe everybody wants to get components with least compromises in it's design philosophy regardless of how much of it translates to audible improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back