So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
May 14, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #1,846 of 2,328
I agree with Robojack. While the overall experience was better and expected of the more expensive and full sized HFI-780, I have still yet to hear a better bass than from the Atrio LOL My D2000s come close, but the Atrios have better impact... then again... i still haven't heard the DT770 LOL

May 14, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #1,847 of 2,328
I have atrios, Denon 2000 and HFI780 alo vampire and S2 and I think the recabled HFI's both are much better then the Atrio's or Stock Denon 2000.

The atrio bass is good and deep but the mids are not even comparable to the HFI's which are way forward and clear as opposed to atrio's being muffled in comparison.

The recabled HFI's have very impactful, yet smooth deep bass. I find the atrio bass is a bit bloated in comparision though I do like it sometimes.

I have to add the stock HFI780's have terrible high end and it's really worth getting even the S2 recable. It makes it a much, much, better enjoyable headphone. Where that sibilance just ruined it for me and even I liked the mids and bass that shrill top end was fatiguing in the long run at high volumes.

I suppose some ears can handle the high end but enough people have noted it and it is a bit off and incorrect sounding as it is a tad to shrill. So the recable just fixes that real nice.

May 14, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #1,848 of 2,328
@robojack: You might be right isolation. I don't use mine outside of the house, so I can't comment on that. I was quite puzzled to hear how much background noise there is as it's so quiet with the phones on.
Also I'd guess these phones are isolated like this to make you hear even smaller details of the music at some lower hearing levels instead of fighting outside noise.

May 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #1,849 of 2,328
Does anyone know if the HFI780s have good synergy with the 2MOVE?

May 14, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #1,850 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex1pdx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the HFI780s have good synergy with the 2MOVE?

Actually, I think so, yes. The 2Move has a very clean but ever so slightly laid back treble, and very smooth, slightly lush mids. This suits the 780's better than a forward sounding amp.

May 14, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #1,851 of 2,328
Thanks, Skylab. My 2MOVE should be arriving today. I am curious how it will change the sound of my Goldring DR150s. Then on to the HFI780. There goes my tax stimulus!

May 19, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #1,852 of 2,328
How would they sound with a pair of OPA627AU that I have installed in my prelude.

Using the stock cable HFI-780, vs the Proline 750 with the OPA627AU.

I had my mind made up until my replacment OPA627AU's came back. Now I'm lost again.

thanks

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #1,854 of 2,328
Well, my initial impressions are the next.
Out of the box and tested initially unamped (as ~10 hours in total), it sound very open and spacious (as my DT990 and almost similarly airy).
The headstage is very good (i feel the depth at first, deeper THAN my Dt990 with my setup) and the soundstage is very precise too and almost 3D like... The separation is about the same (is a little better with music only (but with anime not (I don't known why)), maybe because of the precise/forward mids...?, not sure).
But the bass at first was very anemic and dissapointed unamped [amped, the sound overall doesn't changed a lot (only and slightly the bass slam and low bass rumble)].
The treble was at first very sibilant, bright and something harsh. i don't known, but any minute now, the sibilance has reduced a lot. The harsness is less present too and the headphone is less bright too* (in this moment which i write this...) *(it was out of the box and a few hours after, more intense/prominent).
The brightness is solved easily (and some of the harsness) with EQ (more easily than my DT990)
The Mids were tiny too, because of the uncontrolled treble. In this moment are more present, but only in the upper zone.
The bass now, is stronger too (i use now my amp, but overall it is not needed; except for volume with low volume sources). It has more presence between the lowbass-midbass than my DT990, but my DT990 has slightly more lower upper bass (slightly more punch/slam), but if i tighten much the earcups to my ears + some EQ, it is stronger.
The DT990 rumbles more in residual explosions (or in the lowest frecuencies), but the HFI-780 have more weight in the bass; that i can feel sometimes the low bass, as with a excellent subwoofer, but not (for now, i don't known if i can feel it later) the slam.
The quality of the bass is very good, the same i say about the mids and highs (well, not before...).
I hope that the bass become stronger in all his areas...I want more bass slam that my DT990 without tighten a lot the earcups....
I want a less prominent highs too, but i have to wait.... Well, it can be prominent =, but not harsh and brighter and/or sibilant (it is less now, can be because of the Gold driver...)
Ah, the comfort...
Earpads are comfortable, if it is in his place. My ears fits perfectly in the interior of the pads, but it is shalower*.
The leather headpad is somewhat uncomfortable when it touch my head at 12 o'clock (it this moment, it sligtly touch my Head and in a more forward position (below 10:30 o'clock), and i don't feel the cushion(s) much).
Isolation [unamped (it have the same volume (or slightly more) than my DT990 amped)] was less than my DT990. Now is superior (i can't to listen anything outside (except lower bass highs (or highbass) frecuencies)).
In other hand, *it leak a lot of sound (i have to tighten the cups to my ears to reduce a lot the leak of sound), because it sound much louder than my DT990 with amp included, and the seal in my ears isn't complete. But unamped, it is better than my DT990 when it comes to leakage.
It is all....

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #1,856 of 2,328
don't they hurt your ears when you listen to bassy music. This was the problem I faced with HFI 700 that I had to sell them. The pressure build up was so high with each bass note that it started to hurt my ears. Did anyone else had the same problem???

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #1,857 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't they hurt your ears when you listen to bassy music. This was the problem I faced with HFI 700 that I had to sell them. The pressure build up was so high with each bass note that it started to hurt my ears. Did anyone else had the same problem???

Some people have had difficulty with the pressure issue, I find it very soothing (the controlled bass). I think that everyone may wear theirs differently and therefore may suffer from something like that. I find myself cringing when I try other headphones if they seem to be too high pitch or focused on the high spectrum.

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #1,858 of 2,328
Yes, I like them (for now, i don't have listened a lot of music and material, only some songs). They sound similar to my DT990 but with a little bit more detailed/present/"correct" midrange (it need some smooth...) and with more prominent highs, with a lot of sparkle and resolution (well, i believe that the same about the mids). I hope that them improve more. Specially in the refinement...
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it appears that you like them?

Not me (for now....).
Quote:

Originally Posted by western120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #1,859 of 2,328
Well, after of a new burn in for 24 mins, two hours ago. The left driver stop working.....
I Open the left earcup (it have 3 screws in the plate, after of removing the earpad) to see if something is wrong/bad (a ripped cable or something), but all seem correct.
What to do to correct/repair this problem....?. I don't want to do anything for now.
Thanks a lot.

Jun 3, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #1,860 of 2,328
If you have an ohm meter you could check continuity of the driver. If the driver is ok then the cable is at fault but you could do a continuity check from the plug to were the cable solders to the driver and narrow down the problem or just send them back. Did you check the jack with other headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back