So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Jun 23, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #1,876 of 2,328
I just put in a order for the HFI-780 my self, I wanted the pro 750 but some of my Stimulus had to go to glasses and the shipping jacked up my plans.

Then the HFI 780 should still make me happy any way with me coming from the pair of AD700 which I may get rid after I fully Burn in the HFI-780's.

I cant wait til get them my self.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #1,877 of 2,328
If it makes you happy - personally, I prefer the HFI-780's sound to the Pro-750 by quite a bit.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #1,878 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it makes you happy - personally, I prefer the HFI-780's sound to the Pro-750 by quite a bit.
wink.gif

I preferred the stock HFI-780 to the Proline 2500 much preferred the ALO-780J to the Proline 2500.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #1,879 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Architectonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and then there are the tube amps, which I've never heard of until this weekend (I thought tube amp was a portable amp that Londoners used in the tubes).

Tube amp = amps used in tubes by Londoners? Hahahahahahah.........(rolling on my floor carpet) Now, why haven't I thought of this one before?

But seriously, you will be very happy with the 780. Predator is an excellent amp to start with. If later on you get hit by upgraditis, then you can certainly move on to the 750, and then, you may eventually be led to the Edition 9, which will then lead you to .......

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #1,880 of 2,328
I went with "The Predator" as a complement to the HFI-780 and as a first headphone amp for the following reasons:

1. Lifetime Warranty
2. Customer Service
3. Portability allows multiple applications
4. USB DAC creates more PC options (where I live)
5. Can toggle sources (PC/DVD)
6. High-end construction (not sure about the DAC chip)
7. Highly rated (Top 5 portable I would guess)
8. Seems to work well with HFI-780 (not sure about treble/soundstage synergy)
9. Excellent sound qualities for Movies/Games (A+ in base)
10. Has a cool name

Not really sure how to burn-in the Predator/780 together. Both seem to be fairly needy in that department.

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #1,881 of 2,328
I just got back my S2-modded HFI-780s, completed with diode removal, recabling (with nylon sleeving), and driver chamber reinforcement (similar to what ALO does, for bass control and soundstage refinement). Thanks again to Scott who did a great job on these!

Question though. I previously had these burned for about 400+ hours before sending them off to be modded. Will I need to burn them in even further to reap the benefits of the modifications?

Jun 25, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #1,882 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got back my S2-modded HFI-780s, completed with diode removal, recabling (with nylon sleeving), and driver chamber reinforcement (similar to what ALO does, for bass control and soundstage refinement). Thanks again to Scott who did a great job on these!

Question though. I previously had these burned for about 400+ hours before sending them off to be modded. Will I need to burn them in even further to reap the benefits of the modifications?

What do you ears tell you? That is what is important. But my opinion is that these are burn in already.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #1,883 of 2,328
Last night, I used my stock 780's with a vastly-upgraded source player, and found that the 780's scaled up with it!

The first 30 seconds of listening to this combo, and I had tears in my eyes, and a smile so big that I think I maybe hurt myself!
eek.gif

Instant eargasm.
biggrin.gif

Amazing puppies, they are.

Keepers, for sure.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #1,885 of 2,328
I'm really not understanding how everyone thinks the 780s are bass-heavy.....they're actually a little light for me.

With about 165 hours on mine, they've settled down and sound pretty good. Going to S2 for a recable in a week or two, hopefully, and I'll see how that turns out. Overall though, for being my first "good" headphone purchase, I love them.

I just wish the stupid cord wasn't 9' long >.<

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #1,887 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really not understanding how everyone thinks the 780s are bass-heavy.....they're actually a little light for me.

I just wish the stupid cord wasn't 9' long >.<

I'm comparing the 780s to an old Sony pair I had, so for me it just might be that I'm hearing the lower ranges for the first time.

Ultrasone says this concrerning the base: "The low frequency ranges are being raised in order to reach the highest possible synergies with DSP-Systems like Dolby headphone and Yamaha silent cinema." But I'm not exactly sure how that translates to what I am hearing.

The wad-o-wire is kind of annoying, but I don't have a DVI KVM w/audio, so I need it for now. After I trash the wire I'll probably go for the S2 Audio mod.

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #1,888 of 2,328
Quote:

that's depend on burning time, what source that you've using, amp or unamp and not to forget, the positioning on head...i guess, it's responsible for making a lot differences result for ppl on this forum...
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #1,889 of 2,328
Quote:

With about 165 hours on mine, they've settled down and sound pretty good. Going to S2 for a recable in a week or two, hopefully, and I'll see how that >.<

Actually, you are just in the middle of burn-in for 780's -- let them burn-in longer, and check the bass again later, and I bet you find that it has gotten much better.

Many peeps here have reported (me included) that the 780's take extra-long burn-in for whatever reason, and between the start of burn-in, and the final reasult at end of burn-in, the SQ on these cans go up and down like a roller-coaster ride.

I picked up my two pairs at different times *during* their burn-in periods, and heard a different sound signature every time, until they finally settled-down after at least 300 hours.
It sure was worth the wait -- the bass (and mids and highs) is to die for, now.

This same stuff has been posted way earlier in this thread (and other threads, too) , several times, if you go back and read it all, or search "burn-in" in this thread.

And please report back here, if you find this to be true, okay?

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #1,890 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you are just in the middle of burn-in for 780's -- let them burn-in longer, and check the bass again later, and I bet you find that it has gotten much better.

Many peeps here have reported (me included) that the 780's take extra-long burn-in for whatever reason, and between the start of burn-in, and the final reasult at end of burn-in, the SQ on these cans go up and down like a roller-coaster ride.

I picked up my two pairs at different times *during* their burn-in periods, and heard a different sound signature every time, until they finally settled-down after at least 300 hours.
It sure was worth the wait -- the bass (and mids and highs) is to die for, now.

This same stuff has been posted way earlier in this thread (and other threads, too) , several times, if you go back and read it all, or search "burn-in" in this thread.

And please report back here, if you find this to be true, okay?

I realize this is going to sound like a sales pitch but it really isn't meant to be (plus, I'm not allowed within a normal thread). My theory is that the reason the SQ seems to be a roller-coaster ride with these headphones is primarily due to the sub-par OEM cable. I have read a few accounts of people stating that after a recable (no, not necessarily mine) that the sound stabilized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back