So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Apr 9, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #1,696 of 2,328
So I finally got the chance to compare flargosa's newly recabled 780s with Rickio's stock pair and it really is quite the change. The highs are now much closer to the smoother highs I was hearing on Rickio's which I'm assuming has a lot of hours on them. The bass is about the same which to my ears needs some control. Judging from what Skylab has mentioned with his, I think this will happen over time since flargosa's only has 10 hours on them. So the recable really helps make the highs more palatable - to my ears. It really is quite a difference.

So now, I'm curious once I'm done with Rickio's if that bass gets under control a bit more. Since the bass sounds similar across both sets, I'll have a means to compare and note any changes.

I just love playing with this stuff!
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #1,697 of 2,328
complete%20order%204-2008.jpg

Look what coming my way from S2 Audio... very excited! Scott has been great to work with! The RCA/ LOD is for my Lisa 3 which is an absolute pain in the butt to configure off an ipod, but he spent the time to find a nice solution.

Apr 9, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #1,698 of 2,328
My ALO HFI-780 is in the building and I will be doing an in depth review and comparison to the HD650 and W5000 this weekend.

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #1,700 of 2,328
Has anybody done any more mods to this headphones in addition to the recable? I'm thinking more in the direction of internal dampening and structural vibration control, don't know exactly how to implement this or what the latter means, but ALO audio seems to have done it successfully.

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #1,701 of 2,328
You must've read my mind. I was thinking about this yesterday and even asked Scott. I'd be interested if anyone has done any dynamat type mods to the 780.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #1,702 of 2,328
I just noticed this discussion right now. I have lost track of my time burning in my stock 780's, as I got my Alo Mod and was using the stock less. But it is over 200 hours by now. I was one of the first handful to have the stock version here.

I also want to add some dampening to these later. I even began by adding some felt pads inside the cups which do make a big difference in sound as well. After I get them back I will decide what next to do if anything as I think the felt pads help a lot but need to hear it to decide the next step.
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #1,703 of 2,328
I'm looking for some closed 'phones for college, so I've been following this thread pretty closely (read probably 3/4 of it). However, I don't think I've heard any comparisons to Grados. I really like the forward mids and the highs of Grados. Are the 780s even brighter than, say, 225s? Also, how does the detail compare?

Any comparisons to low to mid fi Grados would be great, thanks

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #1,704 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for some closed 'phones for college, so I've been following this thread pretty closely (read probably 3/4 of it). However, I don't think I've heard any comparisons to Grados. I really like the forward mids and the highs of Grados. Are the 780s even brighter than, say, 225s? Also, how does the detail compare?

Any comparisons to low to mid fi Grados would be great, thanks

Personally I think that the 780 are the closest closed sub-$200 headphones to Grado's. Forward mids, and highs, and no I do not think they are brighter, but about the same. However, you will hear more bass impact and bass in general, but it will not overpower the other frequencies. I got these for college use also, and didn't want to get a pair of laid-back dark closed headphones.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #1,705 of 2,328
To me the grados have a more aggressive treble which I find quite fatiguing for long listening sessions. Also I prefer the bass on the HFI-780s better.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #1,706 of 2,328
Well, in the 2 weeks that my HFI-780 have been gone on their visit to Skylab, I have put another 300 hours on the Woo 6 amp, for over 520 hours total now, and I used the APS cabled Denon D2000 connected to the WA6 during burn-in. For most of that 2 weeks I was unhappy with the sound of the D2000 and Woo, and wishing for my 780's back, to pair with the Dark Voice 336i. I found myself listening to the RS-1 and Edition 9 more and more during that down time, both of which also have the APS v3 cable installed.

However, both the WA6 and the D2000 started to sound noticeably better in the past 24-48 hours, as the huge V-caps and BlackGates are burning-in. Bass has finally filled in, and soundstage is opening up. I am listening to a Jazz CD in XRCD (Jazz at the PawnShop First Impression Music Inc) and the D2000 are more natural sounding with this particular live music than the HFI-780 at this point in time.

So, at this point, for closed phones and depending on the genre, I am liking the APS V2 cabled D2000 as much or better than the ALO HFI-780's, but not as much as the Edition 9. I love the bass on the 780's - only the Edition 9 can make the kinda bass these 780's can make, strong powerful and controlled. But, the Edition 9 soundstage is noticeably better than the 780's, which are more like my Grado RS-2 (except my HF-1 which have a big soundstage, and even the RS-1 are feeling bigger to me right now). So, the D2000 and Edition 9 both have a bigger deeper soundstage, while the 780 are more limited in that area (I've said that before).

While it is clear the Woo 6 sounds better (with any headphones), that should just make the 780's all that much better over the D2000, but that isn't what I am hearing. I am thinking that this time it IS my ears that have burned-in for 2 weeks; as I have gotten used to several headphones with a bigger soundstage, and now it is hard to go back to one that is a little more constricted. The 780 still sound like an open headphone, not to confuse the term "constricted" with "closed sounding".

The 780's have everything else, impact, punch, bass, mids, treble, but sometimes the snare drum is closer than the piano, etc. So yeah, I am finding that soundstage depth is pretty important for ensembles, jazz bands and classical, etc. That was one reason I sold my HD25-1, but my 780's are better in every way than the HD25-1 to me. The 780 put me on stage (a wide one), and the D2000/Ed9 put me in the 2nd row where I can appreciate the whole forest and not just the leaves (while not sounding distant). I find the 780's are still my favorite (#1) for Rock and Electronic and New Age, but now I am hooked on my RS-1 and Edition 9 and D2000 for Jazz and Classical.

I have no regrets with the 780's, but I am reminded there are some areas where they excel over others, and other areas where I will reach for another headphone first. This break gave me an opportunity to retrain my ears to the D2000 and enjoy them again.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #1,707 of 2,328
LOL I'm kinda in the same boat... I initially intended to purchase both the HFI-780 and the D2000 and then sell the one that I didn't like, but both are just so good in their own way.

The D2000s have a smooth, velvety sound to them that is just so relaxing and "flowing". They also have great treble and mids IMO, but the bass is really lacking, especially compared to the HFI-780. The soundstage as HeadphoneAddict said is also larger and it's more of an "observer" feel than a "participant" soundstage, if that makes any sense.

While the HFI-780 has less impressive treble and mids (although no bad by any means), the bass is just great (so far) the impact was exactly what I felt was missing in the D2000s and surprisingly, they actually fit my head better LOL So right now I'm torn... I really don't know which one I should go for...

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #1,708 of 2,328
I find when I put on the Denon 2000's I forget which headphone I am wearing and just enjoy the music. If I actually compare I like the impact and bass of the 780 but the Denon is really so enjoyable I forget to take it off and keep on listening. I was also listening to my hd580's and was really thinking they are even better then I used to believe they were, and also forget to take them off sometimes hehehe They are no where near the 780 and Denon in bass quality and impact but they are also just so smooth and make the music sound so good when you just listen and forget about comparing.

The key is to enjoy the music
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #1,709 of 2,328
I would never ever listen to classical, jazz, orchestral, or any sort of that music on the HFI780. The HFI780 are strictly a fun can. I have my HD580's to do the rest of that. The D2000's are smack dab in the middle. Worse than the HD580's for classical, not enough impact for rock. That's why they had to go!

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #1,710 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never ever listen to classical, jazz, orchestral, or any sort of that music on the HFI780. The HFI780 are strictly a fun can. I have my HD580's to do the rest of that. The D2000's are smack dab in the middle. Worse than the HD580's for classical, not enough impact for rock. That's why they had to go!

Agreed, but don't forget my D2000 are re-cabled, and as such are as good as or better than a stock D5000, I kid you not. Even Alex at APS agrees with me (of course he says that about the v3 cable, and mine is a v2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back