So what's the word on the new Ultrasone HFI-780????
Feb 10, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #122 of 2,328
One of the most interesting things that I have found over attempting to answer some of your questions is the thing about the size of my ear and the size of the inside of the earcups. I think the way my ear apparently folds itself into the earcup may very well be a big influence on what I am hearing. Today the sound image seems to be so coherent and large on some tracks..The clarity seems to have come back a bit as well which was a concern that I noted above. I also find that when I position the headband fairly forward on my head that the sound seems to change significantly. I prefer the sound that I am get with it is in the forward position when listening.

Additional comments in bold:

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it semi-odd that the UE9 would be similar to the 780, when the 780 uses the gold plated driver.

That was my surprise as well when I first heard them. I thought this must be some mistake but it has that sound profile. Again it is not exactly the UE9 but surprisingly close for me.

The difference between the PRO 650 to 750 is just the gold plated driver to the Ti plated driver. That was a huge step up!

I thought it would be as well but maybe not, maybe this just shows what the right earcups and pads do for the sound since they are now much nearer the design used in the Edition 9s.

Some of the posts on here might be spot on with the "drop the Ti driver in" idea!!

Again I am not sure it will be worth the effort to do this with it sounding the way it does already. But this is an opportunity for more discovery.

Feb 10, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #123 of 2,328
Slwiser, thank you for your additional comments. I've also found that the positioning of the earcups-headband using the 2200 is critical. A bit back and highs get certain prominence, a bit up and image and coherence goes away. There's a kind of "sweetspot" where things get into focus and the cans do their thing.
Maybe the 780s sound so close to the E9s for the new cup design than for the driver's nature. It'd be interesting knowing how the other new models sound. Also could be possible that the 750 and 2500 Pro get the new earcups soon.

Rgrds.

Feb 10, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #124 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the 780s sound so close to the E9s for the new cup design than for the driver's nature. It'd be interesting knowing how the other new models sound. Also could be possible that the 750 and 2500 Pro get the new earcups soon.

Rgrds.

I specifically ask Ultrasone about the new Pro series and they do not have anything other than an update visually. No new pads or mu-board material like the new HFI 680 and 780 does.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #125 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I specifically ask Ultrasone about the new Pro series and they do not have anything other than an update visually. No new pads or mu-board material like the new HFI 680 and 780 does.

Thank you very much for the reply. This seems a tendency to differentiate more the Pro's design and sound from the HFI/E9's. I'm willing to read further comments about the 780/E9's similitudes and differences, specially using them with well recorded live music, jazz, orchestral works...

Rgrds.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #127 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Practical question: do these HFI-780 have the detachable / replacable cable that the PROlines have?

nope.

eric b

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #128 of 2,328
I'm really eager to hear multiple comparisons against this cans...
Does this phone can beat D2000?

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #129 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really eager to hear multiple comparisons against this cans...
Does this phone can beat D2000?

From my sound preferences this can is going to beat a lot of cans and at a lot higher price point.

I am just hoping that the cable problem does not happen more that was noted above where the sound was lost on one side. These are new and few of us have them. We will see if there are any reliability issues soon enough I guess.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #130 of 2,328
Where are they made?

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #131 of 2,328
my new school 750s were made in taiwan, do i suppose that would be a good guess?

eric b

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #132 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are they made?

Taiwan

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #133 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much for the reply. This seems a tendency to differentiate more the Pro's design and sound from the HFI/E9's. I'm willing to read further comments about the 780/E9's similitudes and differences, specially using them with well recorded live music, jazz, orchestral works...

Rgrds.

How about Howard Shore's score of The Lord of the Rings sound track for an example...

Powerful bass, smooth rich highs, wide open like sound, beautiful haunting vocals. The bass does the work on your sternum psychologically, as in you almost feel it on you. The S-Logic PLUS thing seems to be a real winner in this headphone.

Now when Skylab comes in and says this thing has no bass and the highs are..... Oh! Well just forget what I just said.

Just make sure when you listen to the opening of Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason that you take you sea-sick medicine. Being on that the rickety old wood rowboat on the water might get to you...These cans are one of Pink Floyd's best friends...

This headphone loves music off of DVDs...Montserrat DVD is breath-taking in how the stage sound is recovered.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #134 of 2,328
argh... i'm already lining up the purchase of proline 2500's, hfi 2200's, and now you people are REALLY making me want to check out these 780's.

frown.gif

eric b

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #135 of 2,328
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now when Skylab comes in and says this thing has no bass and the highs are..... Oh! Well just forget what I just said.

LOL! No, you are right on. These things have bass, that is obvious. I have them a quick listen at the 50 hour mark, and the sound is still quite promising. In fact I am itching to really listen, but I shall hold off until 100 hours. But based on a quick listen this evening, I think they are going to have a lot of fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back