So What's the story with lurkers?
Jun 29, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #61 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
So many mods want me to become a permanent lurker....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

It isn't just the mods!
evil_smiley.gif

(just kidding, big guy, just kidding!
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #62 of 117
I have joined quite a few forums. I can probably think of 20-30 right now, but there are probably more. Most I have posted at a few times, but there are some where I haven't. I read and post at 3 forums actively. Occasionally I make my way back to the others, but only when I need something.

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #63 of 117
I'm a newb who loves good sound even if he doesn't understand all the technicalities behind it. I feel somewhat intimidated here, with all the in depth technical discussion. Kind of hard to contribute when I have as hard a time as I do describing what I'm hearing. I've learned a great deal in the past few months, and gained a fair bit of experience from all my recent splurging, so hopefully I'll have more to add to the discussions in the near future. So far I just like to lurk n learn, and enjoy the stuff I buy after doing my research. If I can pass on a little of my experience to other relative newbies, then hey, that's pretty cool too.

Edit: Woo, 100th post, and it's only taken me how long to get to this point?

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #64 of 117
well asides from the members lounge, for sale ads and sometimes the music part of this forum

what more is there to add to anything else that hasn't been said in the last 4 years
k1000smile.gif

honestly, more people should use the "search" function more often *sigh*

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #65 of 117
For my part, I usually use the forum as a resource now as well. I used to post actively, but wasn't so good at the social aspect of the place. I just didn't fit in, a case of "one of these things is not like the others," and it got me ignored or dispised more often than it attracted friends. It works out better now in lurk mode, where I don't say much.

And with that, I've been posting far too much for a lurker, so back into lurk mode.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #66 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrOctagon
I'm a newb who loves good sound even if he doesn't understand all the technicalities behind it. I feel somewhat intimidated here, with all the in depth technical discussion. Kind of hard to contribute when I have as hard a time as I do describing what I'm hearing. I've learned a great deal in the past few months, and gained a fair bit of experience from all my recent splurging, so hopefully I'll have more to add to the discussions in the near future. So far I just like to lurk n learn, and enjoy the stuff I buy after doing my research. If I can pass on a little of my experience to other relative newbies, then hey, that's pretty cool too.

Edit: Woo, 100th post, and it's only taken me how long to get to this point?

Hi Dr. O

This place isn't just about headphones and "technical discussion" (If it was I'd have been out of here a long time ago) you can discuss almost anything in the members lounge (avoid discussing farting.... trust me this is good advice!) and whatever you want to talk about you'll be sure to find lot's of fellow Head-Fiers who have something in common whether it be pizzas, Cars, Shares, Movies, health issues, teeth, ingrown toenails, Aeronautical travel, transcendental meditation, Self medication, Genital warts, Tractors, computers, wine, women, songs, Teenage pregnancy, athletes foot, football, baseball, pink balls, ball sport in general, knitting, crochet, sewing, cooking, eating, restaurants, waiters, petrol prices, scuba diving..... the list is endless!

Head-Fi has got the lot so get posting!

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #67 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Hi Dr. O

This place isn't just about headphones and "technical discussion" (If it was I'd have been out of here a long time ago) you can discuss almost anything in the members lounge (avoid discussing farting.... trust me this is good advice!) and whatever you want to talk about you'll be sure to find lot's of fellow Head-Fiers who have something in common whether it be pizzas, Cars, Shares, Movies, health issues, teeth, ingrown toenails, Aeronautical travel, transcendental meditation, Self medication, Genital warts, Tractors, computers, wine, women, songs, Teenage pregnancy, athletes foot, football, baseball, pink balls, ball sport in general, knitting, crochet, sewing, cooking, eating, restaurants, waiters, petrol prices, scuba diving..... the list is endless!

Head-Fi has got the lot so get posting!

Not politics thou
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #68 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
Not politics thou
tongue.gif

Or religion.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #69 of 117
Pink, don't forget to add grinding to the list
eek.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #70 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Pink, don't forget to add grinding to the list
eek.gif

LOL, yeah the agony of teenage blue-ball...
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #71 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
For my part, I usually use the forum as a resource now as well. I used to post actively, but wasn't so good at the social aspect of the place. I just didn't fit in, a case of "one of these things is not like the others," and it got me ignored or dispised more often than it attracted friends. It works out better now in lurk mode, where I don't say much.

And with that, I've been posting far too much for a lurker, so back into lurk mode.
wink.gif

I always read and appreciated your posts.

I also have become more of a lurker than a poster. Although you can see I was a rabid poster at one time. To be more honest, I'm not really a lurker either. I just don't stop in much anymore. Boredom of the subject, and other things have kept me away from here, headphones, and music in general lately.

Jun 30, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #74 of 117
I liken my history of head-fi shadow dwelling to my real-life quirks and idiosyncracies. As with every message board I've ever frequented, observation and information gathering has taken presidence over social interaction within this forum, and those tendencies aren't relegated to just the virtual realm.

People who are introverted in life, in other words, likely interact in a similar manner online. I suppose I could try to post several times a day to the various sub-forums here, but that just wouldn't be me.

A fitting analogy: when browsing daps or other such devices at my local circuit city, I'm the guy who avoids the salespeople like the plague, even if I'm searching for something specific. "No thanks, just looking around right now" is my typical response to the swarming commission-mongers. I'd much rather go find the thing myself than endure the ordeal of listening to them suggest myriad other products or, even more gratingly, educate me on the product I've already decided to purchase based on a groundwork of research that surpasses their own level of knowledge on the subject anyway. I simply want what I came for. And no, I don't want a pair of bose triports with that. They cost almost twice as much as the thing they'll be connected to, thank you.

You get my point.

I certainly don't intend to come across as superior or better-informed than the next guy (except maybe the aforementioned mass-retail salespeople, though that's no major feat.) I'm just extremely particular about the nature and the extent of the information that I seek.

This thread has, however, given me a chance to look back on and evaluate my own behavioral tendencies both in here and out in the world. There's always room for improvement, and I need to make a concerted effort to give back to the board and share some of the experience I've gleaned along the way.

Holy crap, I've been a member here since 2002?! I guess I'd better get busy.

Here's a quick run-down to catch up:

Sony V6 Headphones - awesome. They're comfortable, cheap, and they work well with everything.

Grado SR225 Headphones - These things used to sound really good but one of the drivers is blown, I think, 'cause there's this crunchy sound coming out of one side (and yes, I've tried that thing where you blast music through them as loud as you can and all it did was make my ears hurt).

Audio-Technica ATH-FC7 Headphones - I bought these to use portably and they sound pretty good but the earcups feel about as comfortable as a pair of crushed coke cans. Back to the V6's.

Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 ohm) - I use these in my computer rig. They sound good to my ears, very neutral and uncolored. Balanced. Exceptional isolation (see, I've been paying attention).

Creative Zen Xtra 30gb Digital Audio Player- This thing was awesome. Great sound, intuitive navigation. And then I dropped it onto concrete while the hard drive was spinning. Now it glows and makes pretty rattling noises.

Iriver iFP-799 Digital Audio Player - I got this because it has no moving parts and I don't have to worry about treating it so gingerly. So far, it's been a solid performer. Good battery life, good sound, and rugged. Well, rugged compared to my new 30 gigabyte Paperweight Xtra.

M-Audio Audiophile USB external soundcard - good. It works. It sounds good. It also has a blue light that matches the light on my modded corda HA-1 heaphone amp, which is always good. The light on my computer is green, but I can't afford a new computer.

Corda HA-1 headphone amp modified by some guy named Kurt - sounded incredible with the grados, sounds great with the beyers. It's so smooth and effortless. Like rich creamy butter oozing out all over hy head and neck. (if that isn't a proper description of the sound, someone chime in and correct me, I'm new at this).

Porta Corda Headphone amp - Back when I had an iriver mp3-cd player with a line out I decided to try out a portable amp with it, so I got a Porta Corda. Then I found out that you could wire two 9 volt batteries together to give the thing more "juice." I had this external battery housing wired to it and everything. Eventually, I had so much stuff to carry around I had to put it all in a fanny pack and that just looked ridiculous so I had to stop with the whole portable amplification thing.

Cables/Interconnects - Back when I had a cd changer (a Sony CE775 Sacd player), I bought these big fat cables called "Outlaws" to connect to my amp because they were considered the best bang for the buck deal on those kinds of wires or something like that. (They were like, FIFTY bucks! My friends still can't believe it). Anyway, I still use them with my sound card and they look cool. They're all shiny and glittery and disco-looking.

I still don't have a power conditioner or anything because my dad's an electrical engineer and he says if I ever get one he'll punch me on principal.

Well, that's about it for now. If I think of anything else to add... well, frankly I'll probably keep it to myself because that's just my way. But it feels good to contribute, even if it's just this once. Who knows, with further prodding I may just come out of my shell again in another 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back