So What's the story with lurkers?
Jun 28, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #16 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
hell yeah dude, wait till I post my R-10 bass impact thread they will be stoning me to death.
rs1smile.gif

You've just got to be you, Mike. We've learned to expect the unexpected. The R10's are awesome no matter what you say, tin ears! Ooops, I wasn't supposed to say that... he he.

But on a serious note, I think Mr Slacker is right on point. When I first joined head-fi, I didn't post much because I didn't have much to contribute. I had maybe 500 posts in the first year, then 1,000 in the second year, and I'll probably end up with 2,000 in my third year. Why? I've been to a bunch of head-fi meets, have owned and/or listened to a lot of gear, have gotten to know a bunch of cool people, etc.

So it's quite natural that people with lurk at first. It's rare that someone will start posting like gangbusters from day one unless they jump in head first like you did and start getting a bunch of gear.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Yes, you do post a lot of stuff that inspires folks from all walks of life (lurkers and regulars) to want to disagree and offer an another hypothesis.
tongue.gif

LMAO

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #18 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Yeah, those bandwidth wasters......
biggrin.gif

-Ed

LOL, you and those hamsters are in a league of your own!

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #19 of 117
Quote:

You've just got to be you, Mike. We've learned to expect the unexpected. The R10's are awesome no matter what you say, tin ears! Ooops, I wasn't supposed to say that... he he.

Yeah you got me wayne. I just couldn't hear the Ps-1 style bass impact.
rs1smile.gif
Joke!!!! The tin ears comment hurt now cardboard box type ears would be more apt for me.
wink.gif
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

But on a serious note, I think Mr Slacker is right on point. When I first joined head-fi, I didn't post much because I didn't have much to contribute. I had maybe 500 posts in the first year, then 1,000 in the second year, and I'll probably end up with 2,000 in my third year. Why? I've been to a bunch of head-fi meets, have owned and/or listened to a lot of gear, have gotten to know a bunch of cool people, etc.

So it's quite natural that people with lurk at first. It's rare that someone will start posting like gangbusters from day one unless they jump in head first like you did and start getting a bunch of gear.

I don't know but when I joined I found 99% of the members were extremely helpful and willing to listen to opinions no matter if they disagree with it. If I had been shot down in flames from day 1 then i doubt I would of hardly posted. Basically Head fi "made me".

It's very friendly here and people at least on this site are a lot more tolerant. Well they have to be...They have to put up with me.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 117
Quote:

I don't know but when I joined I found 99% of the members were extremely helpful and willing to listen to opinions no matter if they disagree with it. If I had been shot down in flames from day 1 then i doubt I would of hardly posted. Basically Head fi "made me".

It's very friendly here and people at least on this site are a lot more tolerant. Well they have to be...They have to put up with me.
rs1smile.gif

Well, not really, we've been setting you up for the big biatch slap o' love!
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #22 of 117
Quote:

I do, but I suspect most won't, either because they weren't alive then, or didn't care even if they were. But for what it's worth, I loved The Paper Chase (and yes, the italics were added for Kingsfield's sake).

Oh come on, I'm 19 years old and I've seen The Paper Chase.. Good movie btw
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #23 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonz
Oh come on, I'm 19 years old and I've seen The Paper Chase.. Good movie btw
tongue.gif

Well, there was a TV series as well. Ask your grandpa about it...

Jun 28, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #24 of 117
Quote:

Really you have nothing to say?

I notice you have an Audio Technica ATH-A900now i have never heard one. Could you describe it to me in relation to the Sa5k's?

I think you do have something to say. You could offer me insight to a headphone that I haven't heard.

Fr4c>Dammit, it's you. Your stealing all the woodies.

I didn't say I had "nothing to say", just that I didn't have 4000 posts worth of stuff to say
tongue.gif

I think I've posted my impressions of the SA5000 in comparison to the A900 in a previous meet thread. I wouldn't feel right about doing it now though because I haven't listened to my A900's in months. Maybe I'll give them a listen tonight though. The SA5000's definitely aren't the headphone for listening to Cut Chemist and DJ Shadow tearing it up with 45's
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #27 of 117
since i'm a prototypical lurker, maybe i'll try and shed some insight. i don't feel intimidated about posting, and the people on this board can be genneraly very helpful. it's just that i come here for the information, not really for the discussion. i usually spend about half an hour a day on average reading over headfi, but that's just to keep up on the latest products and to read new comparisons. every once in a great while i'll post, when i'm feeling chatty or i have something that i absolutely need to add to the thread, but typically anything that i would have wanted to add to the dicussion had already been brought up by at least one person. since i'm lazy and don't want to be redundant with a mee too post.. i just go on to the next thread.

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #29 of 117
Lurking has been the subject of quite a lot of research in the online community community, a lot of it is a bit wishy-washy, though Nonnecke and Preece have done some interesting stuff. There was also a fairly active vicarious learner thread of reseach in the early-mid 90s. My own very modest reseach has very very tentatively suggested that in discussion-based online learning the biggest predictor of success is not postings but reading of others' messages, normal disclaimers, small sample blah blah blah and so on. Of course you can prove anything with the right statistical tools
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #30 of 117
I have to say this is one of the better forums as far as friendly people,who will help you in your search for that perfect headphone or amp ect.Of course it can get a little confusing because everyone has their own favorites,likes and dislikes.This forum led me to Grados,which I had never heard of before.Itwill also cause you to max out your credit card real quick if your not careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back