So What's the story with lurkers?
Jun 28, 2005 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 117

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
When I read posts I notice every now again there's a post by someone who has been a member for a few years but hardly posts. I understand they have "normal" lives and family commitments and other interests. But they hardly post.

I was just wondering why this is so. I would love to see them post their opinions and impressions more. And that is not to say they don't participate or have anything to offer. I think they do.

So what is it then?

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 117
I've never understood how some of you can post like 4000 posts in a year. I just don't have that much to say. I think for some people, they come here for the knowledge and opinions, and maybe don't have enough experience to post about their impressions. We could have a large number of foreign speakers as well. Its lots of things I guess.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 117
Really you have nothing to say?

I notice you have an Audio Technica ATH-A900now i have never heard one. Could you describe it to me in relation to the Sa5k's?

I think you do have something to say. You could offer me insight to a headphone that I haven't heard.

Fr4c>Dammit, it's you. Your stealing all the woodies.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 117
I think the bigger problem is that some people post too much, Winger!

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 117
I don't really get lurkers, but yet I do. If I'm real interested in a forum, and the people seem easy for a newb to talk to, I go for it. But that can lead to having the "establishment" peeved at ya.
icon10.gif
But some people just wanna get some info, do a bit of light reading, and zip off to save the world from the wretches of evil. Us avid posters are just working delivery boy for the daily planet or something. My theory at least.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 117
You've scared them senseless, they're shaking in their boots over the prospect of being called a "MeatStick"...

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 117
Well, I used to post pretty regularly, but now I'm definitely more of a lurker than poster. I don't know, really, it just seems like the topics repeat themselves infinitely as more new people join. That's not a bad thing in my view, so long as they still get the information they need. I've been reading this place daily for too long now (2.5 yrs already... dang) and still have enough of an interest to not give up entirely :p

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 117
wmcmanus>totally dissed!
rs1smile.gif
I post a lot and stuff but I am sure sometimes they want to offer an opinion whether it's to disagree and offer another hypothesis. Or if I have a question I am sure there are tons of headfiers who would know the answer besides the usual suspects.

Gplamer>That's a term of endearment. It's when I start calling people "meat curtains" then it goes downhill, meatstick
rs1smile.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 117
You remember that part in The Paper Chase where Hart tells Kingsfield that he had nothing to add to the conversation and Kingsfield gives him a dime and says "Call your mother, and tell her that there is serious doubt about you ever becoming a lawyer"? Or the part where Bell behaves like a pompous jerk, demanding property because his father was in property, but his precious outline - as long as a textbook - blows away, serving no use.

What I am saying is that some people feel that they have nothing to add to the conversation and prefer to read, and we must bully them into speaking. Wait. No. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that we must be friendly, not like Bell, and invite people to speak with our warm demeanor. No, not like Bell, and not like Kingsfield.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
You remember that part in The Paper Chase

I do, but I suspect most won't, either because they weren't alive then, or didn't care even if they were. But for what it's worth, I loved The Paper Chase (and yes, the italics were added for Kingsfield's sake).

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I post a lot and stuff but I am sure sometimes they want to offer an opinion whether it's to disagree and offer another hypothesis.

Yes, you do post a lot of stuff that inspires folks from all walks of life (lurkers and regulars) to want to disagree and offer an another hypothesis.
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 117
i mostly read. i dont like posting things i dont really know about

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Yes, you do post a lot of stuff that inspires folks from all walks of life (lurkers and regulars) to want to disagree and offer an another hypothesis.
tongue.gif

hell yeah dude, wait till I post my R-10 bass impact thread they will be stoning me to death.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back