So What's the story with lurkers?
Nov 17, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #106 of 117
How much of a lurker am I? Well.. I've been reading head-fi for about 3 years now, I've had an account here for over a year ...and this is my first post.

Like many, use h-f more as a searchable database than an active community. So far I've been able to find answers to every question I've had. Also, the vast majority of the time I have for conversing on the internet is expended arguing about music on discogs and to a lesser extent, futzing with my Flickr page.

However, this isn't to say I haven't taken a lot away from head-fi, because of this site I:
  1. Bought a pair of HD-650s
  2. Burned them in for 200+ hours
  3. Fitted them with Moon Audio Blue Dragon (V2) replacement cables
  4. Burned those in for 200 more hours
  5. Bought a Gilmore Lite + Dedicated PS from h-f user chumley.

With the exception of the half-watt triode tube amp crowd, headphone snobs are the nuttiest and most obsessive sect of the audiophile kingdom that I've encountered.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #107 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger
How much of a lurker am I? Well.. I've been reading head-fi for about 3 years now, I've had an account here for over a year ...and this is my first post.

Like many, use h-f more as a searchable database than an active community. So far I've been able to find answers to every question I've had. Also, the vast majority of the time I have for conversing on the internet is expended arguing about music on discogs and to a lesser extent, futzing with my Flickr page.

However, this isn't to say I haven't taken a lot away from head-fi, because of this site I:
  1. Bought a pair of HD-650s
  2. Burned them in for 200+ hours
  3. Fitted them with Moon Audio Blue Dragon (V2) replacement cables
  4. Burned those in for 200 more hours
  5. Bought a Gilmore Lite + Dedicated PS from h-f user chumley.

With the exception of the half-watt triode tube amp crowd, headphone snobs are the nuttiest and most obsessive sect of the audiophile kingdom that I've encountered.
eggosmile.gif

Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your...................lurkeritis
icon10.gif

Seriously, what prompted you to finally post, or are we going to have to wait another 14 months to find out?
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #108 of 117
For me the reason is that I don't usually post messages like these. I notice that most people with tons of post a stagering majority of them are just idle back and forths. They'll have 4 or 5 posts on one topic that they really didn't have much to say on to begin with.

Dont' get me wrong I'm not bashing these people. often times they are very helpfull and with out them head-fi wouldn't be what it is. I was a lurker for about two years before I even signed up for an account. I was such a newb to these message boards back then i didn't even know that if I had an account I could search the forums. Now, 3 and 1/2 years later and about $2000 lighter I still lurk more than I post.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #109 of 117
i'm definitley a lurker, i joined in 2001 with only 27 posts as i write this. i actully don't understand how some get their post count so high. shouldn't you be listening to music instead?

this may have been brought up in a previous post, but didn't have time to reak through all 6 pages....plus, this gets my post count up
wink.gif

i haven't posted too much as i tend to use the search function as it is meant to be used. i'm not going to take up space or people's time by asking the same questions over and over. which IEM? does senn really have a veil? which dap besides ipod? grados hurt, what should i do? which pair of 'phones for exercising, noisy neighbors, SQ, etc....

also, i tended to get the info i needed, and bail. in other words, i would seek advice, get that piece of gear, and not check the forums again until i really needed to.

i'm only now beginning to contribute, as i now have a decent collection of equipment. plus, i've finally started to make enough money to buy toys.

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #110 of 117
i used to lurk here, there just wasn't that much to say and my setup was way too modest, but now i've fully caught the upgradtitus bug i love to post
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #111 of 117
Some lurkers who read a lot might have accumulated knowledge that could be helpful to many newbies if they post. Although the knowledge isn't based on personal experience, it could be very useful.

Nov 17, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #112 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Some lurkers who read a lot might have accumulated knowledge that could be helpful to many newbies if they post. Although the knowledge isn't based on personal experience, it could be very useful.

True, which is why I personally started to post more often recently. That's after listening and using my equipment, giving real experiences and feedback.

what really pisses me off, is when people post advice that's regurgitated from previous posts, when they've never had experience with the equipment in question. there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions to common questions, where many give advice with no firsthand experience. sure, i know grados are good for rock or that shure e3s lack bass, but i'm not going to tell people that, cause i've only read about it.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #113 of 117
Usually I just don't have anything to add to the discussion. I hardly consider myself an expert in headphones, but I have learned alot by checking out Head-Fi every day. That's just the way I am, don't generally start replying on forums until I consider myself somewhat of an authority on the topic.

Nov 17, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #114 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas

i agree, a lot of questions can be answered quite easily and don't require much personal experience. If you've read it from someone, you can pass the word.

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #116 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Is a lurker like a slow poster? Is that like a Seinfeld soft talker? Or is it a slow talker? Or is it a low talker?
icon10.gif

a lurker is someone who hangs around on this forum and is just reading posts without posting him/herself

Nov 17, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #117 of 117
i check all forums everyday (i have been doing it for years so it has become as common as my daily email checking), but don't post much as i dont really have much imput to add to the discussions, i try to only just talk about my equipment...but i have a somewhat uncommon setup, so not much to talk
wink.gif
...so yeah i consider myself a lurker and slow poster....good thing there is a members lounge otherwise i would just be a lurker....go team 2002!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back