So, what are the best earphones I can get for under $200 ?
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #34 of 48
I second the recommendation for the DDM's if you want delicious quality bass, with the usual caveats of fit and comfort. Do you usually have fit problems with other earphones or earbuds? Do you have small ear canals? The DDM's if you look, fit best when your outer ear can cradle the enclosure. Don't plan on going outside with them - while comfort might still be great, isolation is pretty poor.

I also suggest having a look at the CK90Pros as something a bit more balanced under $200, comfortable and still with good quality bass and an articulate sound. 

You should ask rawster for some recommendations, as he has heard quite a few of the more bassy, good options.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #35 of 48
 Above 100$ : Radius TWF11R, Victor FX500
Below 100$ : Hyppo VB, HJE900, Fischer Audio Eterna.

I am very satisfied with my DDMs, even though i am not a basshead. I really like their natural sounding and detailed mids. With that said, you can't go wrong with any of the other options recommended here, especially if this is your first good quality iem.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #36 of 48

Quote:
I second the recommendation for the DDM's if you want delicious quality bass, with the usual caveats of fit and comfort. Do you usually have fit problems with other earphones or earbuds? Do you have small ear canals? The DDM's if you look, fit best when your outer ear can cradle the enclosure. Don't plan on going outside with them - while comfort might still be great, isolation is pretty poor.

I also suggest having a look at the CK90Pros as something a bit more balanced under $200, comfortable and still with good quality bass and an articulate sound. 

You should ask rawster for some recommendations, as he has heard quite a few of the more bassy, good options.

Nah, I don't have a problem with earphones, I can wear the largest Bose in earphone tips, however that would compare to others. 
I wouldn't be able to go outside with them? Like they would fall out a lot or what?

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #37 of 48

Quote:
Nah, I don't have a problem with earphones, I can wear the largest Bose in earphone tips, however that would compare to others. 
I wouldn't be able to go outside with them? Like they would fall out a lot or what?

That depends on how well they fit inside your ear and the tips (flanges) you are using with them. I had some problems initially but now i've resolved them by using the right tip/proper fit (and i have a very small ear). Some users never had a problem, some (like me) had problems but managed to solve them and 1-2 individuals never managed to wear them comfortably, so there is a small risk.

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #38 of 48

Quote:
X2 on the W2's but the OP said under $200.

That's a good point, I should have looked up the price in the US, I just figured if you can get them for £150 here you should be able to get them at $200, looking around it seems I was wrong.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #40 of 48
Yeah, honestly, the only IEMs I found that had an outrageous deal were the IE8s and the Monster Turbine Pro Gold. I would have liked to try out the se530s, but I honestly can't find a good deal on them.
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #41 of 48
"Best" is relative.  Best how?

My favorite IEM I've used is HifiMan's RE252, new $199, used around $140.  Because it's my favorite does it make it the best?  Best for me, sure.  Best for you, maybe not.

From a functional standpoint, I would call the CK10 the best I've used.  It did the most things right out of any earphone I've used.  New us +$200 these days, although it was cheaper before the gained interest and could be bought used for $180 or so.

I have used a lot of high end earphones but definitely not all of them.  None do everything right.  All of them do certain things really well and lack in other areas.  The best ends up being the one that fits your personal preferences the most.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #42 of 48

Quote:
"Best" is relative.  Best how?

My favorite IEM I've used is HifiMan's RE252, new $199, used around $140.  Because it's my favorite does it make it the best?  Best for me, sure.  Best for you, maybe not.

From a functional standpoint, I would call the CK10 the best I've used.  It did the most things right out of any earphone I've used.  New us +$200 these days, although it was cheaper before the gained interest and could be bought used for $180 or so.

I have used a lot of high end earphones but definitely not all of them.  None do everything right.  All of them do certain things really well and lack in other areas.  The best ends up being the one that fits your personal preferences the most.

The best that I've ever used are the Sennheiser IE6, but that's only because I've always had junky IEMs before like Klipsch Image S4 (in my opinion, they're pretty bad).

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #44 of 48

Quote:
How good is the insulation on the IE8's? Riding the bus home today made me realize I have to blast my music to like 75% to begin to hear it well.

not very good, I use my CX300IIs (same eartips) for biking, much safer than say....etymotics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back