So my Ultrasone Signature Pros just arrived ;)
Apr 16, 2012 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

sammcj

Head-Fier

• HRT MS-II
  • Objective2 Amplifier (JDS Labs build)

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 46
Nice setup. All parts are rounded in terms of signature, so you should get a balanced yet impactful sound.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 46
Nice setup. All parts are rounded in terms of signature, so you should get a balanced yet impactful sound.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Thanks, yeah that's what I was going for.
I also have a pair of GS-1000's and I spend a lot of time on my HD 25-1 II's, these Ultrasones are very different from these, they have a lot more bass, It'll be interesting to see how they fare after I've put a hundred hours or so on them, up to 3 hours today so far.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 46
Congratulations on your Ultrasone. I see you have the GS1000, which is the antithesis of closed headphones on the whole. I'm so eager to hear your thoughts regards SQ of the SigPro. I have Edition 9 and love them so much but I can't carry them on the road. I'm quite close to buying the SigPro. Gimme a push and tell me it RULES :O)

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 46
Congratulations, i received mine a couple of days ago, and i'm loving them so far.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 46
I have listened to nothing else since I got mine:)

As close to perfect as this hobby can get.

Enjoy!

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 46
Congratulations on your Ultrasone. I see you have the GS1000, which is the antithesis of closed headphones on the whole. I'm so eager to hear your thoughts regards SQ of the SigPro. I have Edition 9 and love them so much but I can't carry them on the road. I'm quite close to buying the SigPro. Gimme a push and tell me it RULES :O)

I'm loving having closed headphones at home, and the SigPros are very nice indeed.
At first I found them a bit bass heavy however, today is a new day and I'm not noticing it as much as yesterday,
This could be me getting used to them (Highly probable) but it could be them breaking in and allowing the mids to sound more freely.

As far as closed headphones go I think they are as fast as the HD 25-1 II's, with a much larger sound stage and less fatiguing.

Do I like them more than the GS-1000's?
I think so... mainly because I find them a bit 'faster' and they have a larger sound stage.

What did the GS-1000's do better?
Vocals, for example, listening to 'Cat Power - The Greatest' would really shine on the GS-1000's but Chans voice feels a little recessed on the SigPros.
Maybe this will improve over the break-in process.

So far, 5 hours in I would sum them up as follows:

• No fatigue at all.
  • Excellent soundstage.
  • Very 'fast'.
  • The build quality cannot be faulted, they would probably last a lifetime.
  • They sound much better on my Objective2 than on my Fiio E17.
  • Slightly recessed vocals with Folk recordings, this may improve after break-in.
  • I would not say that they are NZ$1200 better than Sennheiser's HD 25-1 II's, however they are a good step up and I don't know what else you would go with for the money (As far as closed cans go).

Look very nice indeed!! How do you like the music streamer? And is that an o2 amp?

I love the MS II, it's the most transparent DAC I've heard or learnt about anywhere near it's price range.
Yes, it's an O2 built by JDSLabs, again, the Objective2 is the best amplifier I've tried, both on paper and to the ears, it's interesting that people still get suckered into much more expensive amps with much lesser stats.

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 46
Mini-update: I've never heard Lateralus sound so good...

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 46

Quote:
I'm loving having closed headphones at home, and the SigPros are very nice indeed.
At first I found them a bit bass heavy however, today is a new day and I'm not noticing it as much as yesterday,
This could be me getting used to them (Highly probable) but it could be them breaking in and allowing the mids to sound more freely.
As far as closed headphones go I think they are as fast as the HD 25-1 II's, with a much larger sound stage and less fatiguing.
Do I like them more than the GS-1000's?
I think so... mainly because I find them a bit 'faster' and they have a larger sound stage.
What did the GS-1000's do better?
Vocals, for example, listening to 'Cat Power - The Greatest' would really shine on the GS-1000's but Chans voice feels a little recessed on the SigPros.
Maybe this will improve over the break-in process.
So far, 5 hours in I would sum them up as follows:
  1. No fatigue at all.
  2. Excellent soundstage.
  3. Very 'fast'.
  4. The build quality cannot be faulted, they would probably last a lifetime.
  5. They sound much better on my Objective2 than on my Fiio E17.
  6. Slightly recessed vocals with Folk recordings, this may improve after break-in.
  7. I would not say that they are NZ$1200 better than Sennheiser's HD 25-1 II's, however they are a good step up and I don't know what else you would go with for the money (As far as closed cans go).
I love the MS II, it's the most transparent DAC I've heard or learnt about anywhere near it's price range.
Yes, it's an O2 built by JDSLabs, again, the Objective2 is the best amplifier I've tried, both on paper and to the ears, it's interesting that people still get suckered into much more expensive amps with much lesser stats.

Thanks very much for your input. Much appreciated. I'm sold :) I'll take the plunge happily. Cheers

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #12 of 46
DAY 3 UPDATE:

I now have approx 15 hours on them and they are loosening up nicely!
I cannot get over how unfatiguing these cans are, I can listen for quite some time, very loudly with no headache or pressure buildup at all! :)
The bass now seems slightly less overwhelming, it could be the start of the break-in or I could just be getting used to it.
I'm at work now and am listening on my HD 25-1 II's and in comparison they don't sound nearly as good as the SigPros.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 46

Quote:
I'm at work now and am listening on my HD 25-1 II's and in comparison they don't sound nearly as good as the SigPros.

I'm a bit worried that you have to compare it to the Senns, HD25, as these cost less than 200 dollars! That's a fraction of the SigPro cost. I mean, OF COURSE they have to be many folds better than the Senns!

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 46
I'm a bit worried that you have to compare it to the Senns, HD25, as these cost less than 200 dollars! That's a fraction of the SigPro cost. I mean, OF COURSE they have to be many folds better than the Senns!

So?...

The HD 25-1 II's aren't $1000 worse than the SigPro's?

The pure purchase price doesn't simply depict how good a piece of hardware is...
That's like saying 'Oh you shouldn't compare this schiit amp with this Objective2 amp because the Objective2 is only $150 pre-made but the schiit is $700!' so what, if the O2 out performs the schiit across the board what does it matter that it cost so much less?

The HS25-1's are incredibly good headphones for the price and will easily outperform more expensive cans, they are also a common benchmark for many people as they're such a widely owned product.

Edit: I do realise that you're probably commenting from a more 'Apples vs Oranges' position, but I do think comparing the SigPro's to my HD25's is an important thing to do, considering how many people own the HD25s for the purpose of having good quality closed cans, that may be wondering if there is much better out there in the closed land, I could have also compared these to my K701's but I think the K701's fail completely in comparison.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #15 of 46
I know what you mean about cost in relation to quality. I Understand your point, but, to me, if I had to pay for the Sig what I had paid for the Ed9 (which I adore), then the quality has to be the same. I tried the newly enhanced 25 (black and blue) and wasn't really really impressed. My obsession is to get THAT Ed9 SQ in a super convenient portable pair of cans :) I'm obsessed by Ed9. At home, I'm using them with my newly acquired Z1070 (with PowerAMP software) and the sound is like heaven to me ears. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back