So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
Nov 9, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #406 of 930
Yes, this is what I mean.

So,

DX50 (only transport) -> Intruder (DAC+Amp) sounds a lot better than DX50 (only DAC) -> Intruder (only Amp) ?????

Can you explain what are the major different in term of sound for above situation?

I can't speak for the first situation because I never connected the DX50 coax out to the intruder, I assume you meant you concoct a wire from the coax out to the intruder USB. I was just talking about comparing the DX50 with it's internal amp versus the DX50 LO to the Intruder amp. Basically comparing the two amps.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #408 of 930
Does anyone know anything about the intruders dac? Which does it use and how does it compare to the dx50 dac?

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #410 of 930
You mean if you bypass the DX50 internal amp and connect directly from its DAC to the Intruder; yes absolutely.

Yes, this is what I mean.

So,

DX50 (only transport) -> Intruder (DAC+Amp) sounds a lot better than DX50 (only DAC) -> Intruder (only Amp) ?????

Can you explain what are the major different in term of sound for above situation?

No can do. The DX50 can't do USB output and the Intruder only has USB input. If you want to connect the two, it's going to be analog.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #412 of 930
Finally pulled the trigger on the Apex Glacier - bought from midnightwalker here on head-fi. Hopefully, impressions to come on DX50 + Apex Glacier + NAD HP50/HD25 Aluminium next week 
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Damn I also need an interconnect cable for the 3.5mm line-out of the DX50 to the line-in of the Glacier...recommendations please?

EDITofanEDIT: I went ahead and made a thread for it since it is pretty OT.

EDITInAnEDIT: Changed IC to interconnect and added more info for clarity.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #413 of 930
For all the quickstep owners: The quickstep should sound even better after about 100-200 hours of burn in, according to Jan Meier.
I've not let it burn in, unfortunately I've returned it today. I'm simply not going to use it enough to justify the price tag.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #415 of 930
Okay I spent the day yesterday out roaming Tokyo with the Continental V2.  Mostly high-rez stuff, 24bit jazz, afro/indo electronica, PearlJam`s Ten Redux in 24bit.  Short version is it`s fabulous with the dx50, for the reason everyone will expect:  Gives analogue smoothness to the dx50`s sparkle, especially with the high rez.  Increased musicality.  Very punchy bass.  (I don`t use EQ on the iBasso.)  

The only problem is, of course, the heat.  My dx50 runs surprisingly warm itself, so next to the V2 there is some basically unpocketable heat being generated.  I may go the `chalk bag` route, to allow the heat to escape, but basically I am a 1-bag carrying kind of guy and don`t really like the technology-strapped look.  Basically I plan to use the dx50 by itself for walkabouts, and the V2 for desk, hotel and friends` sofas. I travel half the year and need a rig that will drive iems but ALSO my HD800s, and some of the more powerful amps seem to have problems with hiss. So the Continental is still awesome for me and for the dx50. 

I was also happy with my JVC iem, the HA-FXZ200, which is rightly evaluated at punching far above its weight at only $200.  However, unfortunately, tragically, WONDERFULLY, I made the error of auditioning some high-end Uiems yesterday with the dx50.  I really wanted to hear the IE800, and the AKG 3003 and some others.  I did, but there was no strong impression of a huge quality jump over the JVCs.  

Then I tried the Shure SE846 and was so blown away I had to go to a cafe and read web pages for a couple of hours to better understand this iem.  Finally, I went to my favorite shop and bought them, and they are burning in now.  So here is some more info about the Continental:  Direct from the dx50 HO, the 9-ohm Shures are producing a slight hiss on high gain, which increases on low gain. (?)  But with the dx50 running line out to the V2, there is nothing but profound silence, except at Max volume and with the amp on high gain.  

To be honest I still don`t fully understand the line out vs headphone out on the dx50: I`m used to a line out bypassing the pre-amp functions but I understand this line out is still volume-controlled by the dx50.  And I realize the gain switch is bypassed on line out.  But would there be a blacker background on line out compared to the HO?  Obviously I`m not going to plug my iems into the line out to see....  

(Sorry if this has been covered already)

So anyway the ALO Continental V2 rocks with the dx50 with 9-ohm iems and 300 ohm full sizeds. 

d

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #418 of 930
I've got a question.

What mini to mini do You guys suggest to 60$ max.

And where I can buy it.

I make my own but here are a few links those are good ICs within your price range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290339504968

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-INCH-CUSTOM-CABLE-FOR-MINI-TO-MINI-INTERCONNECT-7N-UP-OCC-STRANDED-EXO-pS-/271308042667?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3f2b3831ab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261172727826

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251232192784

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #419 of 930
  Okay I spent the day yesterday out roaming Tokyo with the Continental V2.  Mostly high-rez stuff, 24bit jazz, afro/indo electronica, PearlJam`s Ten Redux in 24bit.  Short version is it`s fabulous with the dx50, for the reason everyone will expect:  Gives analogue smoothness to the dx50`s sparkle, especially with the high rez.  Increased musicality.  Very punchy bass.  (I don`t use EQ on the iBasso.)  

The only problem is, of course, the heat.  My dx50 runs surprisingly warm itself, so next to the V2 there is some basically unpocketable heat being generated.  I may go the `chalk bag` route, to allow the heat to escape, but basically I am a 1-bag carrying kind of guy and don`t really like the technology-strapped look.  Basically I plan to use the dx50 by itself for walkabouts, and the V2 for desk, hotel and friends` sofas. I travel half the year and need a rig that will drive iems but ALSO my HD800s, and some of the more powerful amps seem to have problems with hiss. So the Continental is still awesome for me and for the dx50. 

I was also happy with my JVC iem, the HA-FXZ200, which is rightly evaluated at punching far above its weight at only $200.  However, unfortunately, tragically, WONDERFULLY, I made the error of auditioning some high-end Uiems yesterday with the dx50.  I really wanted to hear the IE800, and the AKG 3003 and some others.  I did, but there was no strong impression of a huge quality jump over the JVCs.  

Then I tried the Shure SE846 and was so blown away I had to go to a cafe and read web pages for a couple of hours to better understand this iem.  Finally, I went to my favorite shop and bought them, and they are burning in now.  So here is some more info about the Continental:  Direct from the dx50 HO, the 9-ohm Shures are producing a slight hiss on high gain, which increases on low gain. (?)  But with the dx50 running line out to the V2, there is nothing but profound silence, except at Max volume and with the amp on high gain.  

To be honest I still don`t fully understand the line out vs headphone out on the dx50: I`m used to a line out bypassing the pre-amp functions but I understand this line out is still volume-controlled by the dx50.  And I realize the gain switch is bypassed on line out.  But would there be a blacker background on line out compared to the HO?  Obviously I`m not going to plug my iems into the line out to see....  

(Sorry if this has been covered already)

So anyway the ALO Continental V2 rocks with the dx50 with 9-ohm iems and 300 ohm full sizeds. 

d

Congrats with the SE846! If only my ears could fit shure uIEMs, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #420 of 930
I know nobody would want this for a portable rig. But the SQ/Price ratio is just awesome. Can easily be a very capable desktop rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back