So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
Nov 6, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #317 of 930
I got it from Headfi member HiFlight. I believe he has a website but best ask him via pm as his TopKits change every now and then

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #318 of 930
I just visited a local audio shop and auditioned the O2 and the D-Zero. There are few other amps from Alo and Ibasso but I don't have much time. I spent almost 30 minutes with the O2 trying to compare it with the DX50's amp. I can't really make a clear difference in SQ except obviously the O2 packs more power.

Compared to D-Zero, my initial impression is it's a step back a little compared to DX50. D-Zero sounded a bit compressed than DX50.

I used my JH16, so I think the comparison with O2 is moot since it does not need much power to drive it to it's full potential. Perhaps a full-size headphone or a hard to drive IEM will show a clear difference.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #319 of 930
  I just visited a local audio shop and auditioned the O2 and the D-Zero. There are few other amps from Alo and Ibasso but I don't have much time. I spent almost 30 minutes with the O2 trying to compare it with the DX50's amp. I can't really make a clear difference in SQ except obviously the O2 packs more power.

Compared to D-Zero, my initial impression is it's a step back a little compared to DX50. D-Zero sounded a bit compressed than DX50.

I used my JH16, so I think the comparison with O2 is moot since it does not need much power to drive it to it's full potential. Perhaps a full-size headphone or a hard to drive IEM will show a clear difference.

I'm finding that the O2 has a great improvement over the HO of the DX50 with my quad cIEMs.
Sounds are so much more defined. The O2 also has a big improvement over the audinst hud-mx1's HO and the JDS C5. 
But I'm thinking my particular cIEM is very sensitive to amps. I even found less sonic differences with the HD650, back when I only owned fiio products.
Maybe the JH16 is much less amp picky, but the O2 does a lot more than just add gain. I should receive the Corda quickstep today (I've been saying this for the last 3 days), and I'm very curious how it performs against the O2.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #322 of 930

Is the amount $$$ you spent proportionate to the overall improvement in performance quality ?

Well, they are all seperate devices! I've got a dap, two new amps (quickstep is still pending), a cIEM and the akg anniversary (also pending). So I haven't received half of it, but I've gained a tremendous amount when you look at the utility/sound quality ratio! 

But I'm sure, had I spent that amount of money in let's say, the HE500 plus a good amp, I would've gotten a much better SQ. But not so much utility... 

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #323 of 930
I've also spent huge amount of money in these last couple months. Basically I've gotten everything else except headphones:D
Maybe I should cut my internet connection so I wouldn't loiter here so much...

Also I just got my hands on my new Quickstep. Pretty sweet thing. Tiny. No batteries yet so can't test it unfortunately.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #324 of 930
I'm finding it very strange that Sorensiim received his quickstep in 2-3 days (is this correct?) yet after a full 5 workdays I haven't received mine. Considering the distance of germany to the netherlands isn't exactly big.
I've actually received packages from korea within this time period.

If I haven't received the package the tomorrow, panic will erupt, and I guess Jan will have to contact the postal service.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #327 of 930
  Can you elaborate the sound improvement in DX50 when pairing with C&C BH?

Frankly, BH2 opens up everything...The wider Sound Stage is beautiful.  I very rarely use anything in my ear.  I much prefer Headphones and this small amp has driven everything from ATH900, ATH50, and HE400.  Price per pound can't be beat.
Many Amps just do not improve the sound of the DX50....The BH2 does.

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #329 of 930

Look no rubber bands

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #330 of 930

Can you elaborate the sound improvement in DX50 when pairing with C&C BH?

Frankly, BH2 opens up everything...The wider Sound Stage is beautiful.  I very rarely use anything in my ear.  I much prefer Headphones and this small amp has driven everything from ATH900, ATH50, and HE400.  Price per pound can't be beat.
Many Amps just do not improve the sound of the DX50....The BH2 does.

The DX50/BH2 value depends on the headphone. It adds a lot to my NT6 Pros and my LCD2s, but has less wow with my HD595s. The HD595s still sound better, but not enough to justify the inconvenience on the road.

While the DX50 is ripe with clarity and detail, it is a bit flat and non-involving compared to adding the BH2. The BH2 takes the texturing from a 2D to a 3D sound adding feeling and emotion that gives you goosebumps. It also adds a euphoric feel and slam throughout the frequency range while retaining the clarity.

Not having a higher end amp to compare the $100 BH2, it makes me wonder what is possible with a much higher end amp such as the Pico Power or the Portaphile 627. Would it really sound $400 dollars better or am I already 95 percent of the way there with the BH2 given my current headphone collection?

BTW, the 80 hour battery life is true. I have only recharged it 3 times in the last 6 months. That sure beats 4 hours battery life with the Portaphile 627. In terms of fit stacking with the DX50, per the pictures below, it is a close match width and height wise perfectly fitting up to the curve of both so it is not going to tip while operating the buttons on a desk. As you can see, the line in and line out match perfectly. Length wise, it goes from matching bottoms to past the volume down button providing ample support again laying on the desk. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back