So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
Jan 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #826 of 930
There's some pretty serious power cleaning circuitry in the Quickstep so I used an old Dell PSU with it at my desk. Want me to throw that one in the box as well?

much appreciated but for portable use which batteries did you use? I don't think wall adapters is a problem. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #827 of 930
much appreciated but for portable use which batteries did you use? I don't think wall adapters is a problem. 

I used it at my desk, so I never got around to buying rechargeable batteries for it, just popped in a new 9V alkaline if it ran out of juice.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #828 of 930
Has anyone tried the ALO National? Sounds like it should be a great performer.

Steve

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #829 of 930
Just thought I'd chip in - I have the Quickstep and use it purely off a 9V battery.

I use this battery with this charger

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maha-Energy-230mAh-Discharge-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B0045KJ0Q6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389735858&sr=1-2&keywords=9.6v+rechargeable+batteries

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003LJWS84/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The battery is a true 9.6v rather than sub 9v wich some are (what difference it makes I'm not sure but thought it best to provide a little more rather than a little less)

I know its added cost but if you take the cost of multiple non-rechargable batteries and add them up then it is more cost effective in the long run.

Lastly, it really is a great amp, really makes my DT1350's sing!

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #830 of 930
  Just thought I'd chip in - I have the Quickstep and use it purely off a 9V battery.

I use this battery with this charger

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maha-Energy-230mAh-Discharge-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B0045KJ0Q6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389735858&sr=1-2&keywords=9.6v+rechargeable+batteries

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003LJWS84/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The battery is a true 9.6v rather than sub 9v wich some are (what difference it makes I'm not sure but thought it best to provide a little more rather than a little less)

I know its added cost but if you take the cost of multiple non-rechargable batteries and add them up then it is more cost effective in the long run.

Lastly, it really is a great amp, really makes my DT1350's sing!

so these 2 will fit perfectly?

http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/products/rechargeable-batteries/017-powerex-230-mah96v--pp3-nimh-rechargeable-battery
http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/products/rechargeable-batteries/018-powerex-300-mah-9volt-pp3-rechargeable-battery

(Jan, in a private email, told me that the 300mah is better in terms of time. he did not mention any problems with less voltage)

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #831 of 930
  so these 2 will fit perfectly?

http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/products/rechargeable-batteries/017-powerex-230-mah96v--pp3-nimh-rechargeable-battery
http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/products/rechargeable-batteries/018-powerex-300-mah-9volt-pp3-rechargeable-battery

(Jan, in a private email, told me that the 300mah is better in terms of time. he did not mention any problems with less voltage)

Yeah, they should, wish I'd come across the 300mah one (more time exactly).  With regards to the lower voltage of some other batteries, it is only my assumption that it may have a negative affect - it was more a case of well if they do 9.6v then might as well go for that.  I have two batteries, because it's always worth having a spare and at a tenner each direct from Powerx, why not 
biggrin.gif

PS If you have Prime on amazon then the 230 mah one is cheaper as it doesn't have the delivery cost on, but I can't see the 300 mah one on there so if you're going for that one then no luck I'm afraid 

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #832 of 930
  Yeah, they should, wish I'd come across the 300mah one (more time exactly).  With regards to the lower voltage of some other batteries, it is only my assumption that it may have a negative affect - it was more a case of well if they do 9.6v then might as well go for that.  I have two batteries, because it's always worth having a spare and at a tenner each direct from Powerx, why not 
biggrin.gif

PS If you have Prime on amazon then the 230 mah one is cheaper as it doesn't have the delivery cost on, but I can't see the 300 mah one on there so if you're going for that one then no luck I'm afraid 

mAH = Capacity of the battery (measured in milli ampere hours). Imagine if the power was water and the battery was a bucket- mAH would be used to define the size of your bucket of water. More mAH = Bigger bucket. 

Regarding voltage, the Quickstep is quite unique as it will run on anything from 6 to 16volts. Doesn't matter if it comes in through the charging port or the battery terminals. It just takes its power from whatever source has the most of it, cleans it up nicely and amps your music. I had a talk with Jan about reworking the Quickstep into taking 12 or 14V lithium cells and got his word for that it would absolutely work. I was even looking at LiPo batteries for RC cars as well as alternative enclosures to rework the Quickstep into a rechargable amp in a more traditionally shaped case, but then I took the easy way out instead and got the PB2.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #833 of 930
Yeah, they should, wish I'd come across the 300mah one (more time exactly).  With regards to the lower voltage of some other batteries, it is only my assumption that it may have a negative affect - it was more a case of well if they do 9.6v then might as well go for that.  I have two batteries, because it's always worth having a spare and at a tenner each direct from Powerx, why not :D

I use these and they work great with my amp.
http://www.amazon.com/AccuPower-Volt-Rechargeable-NiMH-Battery/dp/B0084UXILQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389924929&sr=8-1&keywords=300+mah+9+volt+battery

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #834 of 930
Great discussion in this thread!

I have a couple of questions. I just today received Noble 4 universals.

I'm listening to them thus: dx50 -- JDS O2 -- Noble 4

1) For those of you have heard some of these, will I hear a big improvement in SQ if I move up to a Quickstep or PB2?

2) Does it make any sense to think about balanced cables for the Noble 4 (assuming I go with the PB2)? I realize that most of the discussion of balanced stuff revolves around full-size headphones. 

3) If I do decide to go balanced, how would I do that? Can you buy balanced cables for iem's that will work with the PB2 (making my own is far beyond me!)?

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #835 of 930
I've been scummed! LOL

I ordered some water glasses from Soren…..

And all I got was a Quickstep amp!!!!!! :p :p :p :p

Enjoying this little thing at the moment at work with my iPod5g and HD25. Ill have proper time with it later!

Thanks a lot, also perfect packaging and fast! (Royal Mail did a stupid thing else I would have got it 2 days ago)

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #836 of 930
  I've been scummed! LOL

I ordered some water glasses from Soren…..

And all I got was a Quickstep amp!!!!!! :p :p :p :p

Enjoying this little thing at the moment at work with my iPod5g and HD25. Ill have proper time with it later!

Thanks a lot, also perfect packaging and fast! (Royal Mail did a stupid thing else I would have got it 2 days ago)

Glad it got to you safely! Now I just hope my wife don't start looking for the boxes that her new water glasses came in...

Sorry about the DualLock man!

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #837 of 930
  Glad it got to you safely! Now I just hope my wife don't start looking for the boxes that her new water glasses came in...

Sorry about the DualLock man!

Dual lock came out perfectly! The surface is 10/10. (My schoolboy error cost me part of my finger :p :p )

Well executed trade! Thanks

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #838 of 930
  Dual lock came out perfectly! The surface is 10/10. (My schoolboy error cost me part of my finger :p :p )

Well executed trade! Thanks

I do like to baby my gear. The QS was transported in a soft Lowepro bag inside my laptop bag and was only taken out to be placed on my desk, with the rubber feet fitted to it. As a desk jockey, I rarely get my gear too banged up 
beerchug.gif

Now tell us about how it sounds! Am I just a crazy nutter or... Actually, don't answer that. Just tell us what you think about the amp.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #839 of 930
Just received my PB2 and black dragon balanced cable with hirose connector for my Shure SE535. Immediately hooked it up with my DX50. Sat back in my listening chair, hit the play button and started listening to Ahmad Jamal's live concert then WHAM. I got hit with what I could only describe as Glorious, blissful, 3-dimensional, out of this world sound ( cannot think of any other adjective to describe the sound) . I must thank Sorensiim for sharing his experience going ( nuts ) balanced. :beerchug:

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #840 of 930
Just received my PB2 and black dragon:beerchug: balanced cable with hirose connector for my Shure SE535. Immediately hooked it up with my DX50. Sat back in my listening chair, hit the play button and started listening to Ahmad Jamal's live concert then WHAM. I got hit with what I could only describe as Glorious, blissful, 3-dimensional, out of this world sound ( cannot think of any other adjective to describe the sound) . I must thank Sorensiim for sharing his experience going balanced.
beerchug.gif

Glad you like it! I'm madly in love with my DX50/PB2 stack as well, can't decide if I need a topkit or I should just wait for the DX90...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back