So, I'm looking for that perfect amp...
Jan 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #841 of 930
Lead on Soren. Am always following your trail :D

Jan 23, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #842 of 930
  Glad you like it! I'm madly in love with my DX50/PB2 stack as well, can't decide if I need a topkit or I should just wait for the DX90...

You KNOW that you need both 
biggrin.gif
… Joking apart, the top kit for the PB2 would come in handy also for the DX90
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #843 of 930
Just received my PB2 and black dragon balanced cable with hirose connector for my Shure SE535. Immediately hooked it up with my DX50. Sat back in my listening chair, hit the play button and started listening to Ahmad Jamal's live concert then WHAM. I got hit with what I could only describe as Glorious, blissful, 3-dimensional, out of this world sound ( cannot think of any other adjective to describe the sound) . I must thank Sorensiim for sharing his experience going ( nuts ) balanced.
beerchug.gif

+1
I just picked up my black dragon UE Triple-fi cable yesterday balanced for RSA Intruder.  Didn't get much time with it yesterday due to a customer issue at work, but initial impression was WHAM as well.  Will keep you posted....

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #844 of 930
Just received my PB2 and black dragon balanced cable with hirose connector for my Shure SE535. Immediately hooked it up with my DX50. Sat back in my listening chair, hit the play button and started listening to Ahmad Jamal's live concert then WHAM. I got hit with what I could only describe as Glorious, blissful, 3-dimensional, out of this world sound ( cannot think of any other adjective to describe the sound) . I must thank Sorensiim for sharing his experience going ( nuts ) balanced. :beerchug:

Er - I took the plunge today as well. Ordered a PB2 and also a Viper OCC silver plated balanced cable to HD 600 Sennheiser both from Toxic cables. The PB2 should have shipped today. The cable ships in two/three weeks. Can't wait to try the balanced cable when it arrived. That is why I really got the PB2 plus it's rolling capabilities.

I plan to try 2xMuses02 to begin with, and then maybe the Hiflight Topkit and/or 4xOPA627 and and .......

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #845 of 930
Balanced Shure SE846 cable from Headphone lounge received, PB2 on order.  It`s great to hear that people are loving this amp, especially with the dx50.  Now, the inevitable question:  

DB2 balanced dac ? ? ? 

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #847 of 930
  Balanced Shure SE846 cable from Headphone lounge received, PB2 on order.  It`s great to hear that people are loving this amp, especially with the dx50.  Now, the inevitable question:  

DB2 balanced dac ? ? ? 

If you don't mind the additional bulk and all, why not?

From what I've read, the jump from single ended amp to balanced amp should be a lot more audible than going from single ended to balanced DAC, but since I've never actually heard the DB2, I couldn't say. 

Congrats to the growing number of PB2 owners, so sorry about your wallets everybody!

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #848 of 930

From what I've read, the jump from single ended amp to balanced amp should be a lot more audible than going from single ended to balanced DAC, but since I've never actually heard the DB2, I couldn't say. 

Congrats to the growing number of PB2 owners, so sorry about your wallets everybody!

So you've just got an extra 6dB of voltage.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #849 of 930

OK - so it arrived yesterday.

First impressions:

It is a very solid looking bit of kit, feels heavy and is beautifully made. I liked the fact that they put in spare screws and gain spacers in case you lose then rolling the amps. Toxic cables put in a couple of rubber bands which you can use to couple your DAC to the Amp. Trouble with the DX50 it is difficult to place the two cables without obscuring either the screen or the three big buttons.

The sound through my Sennheiser HD600s (single ended) using the stock amps & buffers. A clean and tight sound. Nice mids and vocals. First impressions are good. I like the sound. It isn't as warm as the OPA627s in my Leckerton but has cleaner attributes that are enjoyable & different. I listened to Dire Straights - love over gold. Interesting on the quieter sections of the tracks and with the volume tuned ALL the way up, I noticed a tiny bit of hiss, which is not noticeable at all when listening at normal volumes. The system comes with the Hi gain setting of +10db so I took the spacers out to +0db and the aforementioned hiss was negligible.

I changed the buffers to the BUF634P WB (with the brown dale resistors soldered). I got a bit more punch and bass impact which I prefer. I understand you can stack the buffers so I will try that next.

Wow Bitter Sweet from Apocalyptica sounds amazing - as does the whole their album by the same name.

What surprised me is that the difference in the ease between the PB2 & the Leckerton UHA 6S MK11 driving the HD600s wasn't greater. To me it shows how versatile the Leckerton is.

But back to the PB2. Yes I really like it. Everything about it "screams" quality, it looks good with my DX50 and I like its sound signature with the OP604s. Will get round swapping those in due course.

It seems like a keeper and so is the Leckerton. But I suppose I could find that rolling in the OPA627s x4 in the PB2 might make it sound so similar that it isn't worth keeping both. But I will also need to check its susceptibility to RF interference when I commute as the Leckerton gives me so nasty RF feedback. I also need to check it with my IEMs.

And then there is the balanced cable to try .

Fun times -:)

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #850 of 930
OK - so it arrived yesterday.

First impressions:

It is a very solid looking bit of kit, feels heavy and is beautifully made. I liked the fact that they put in spare screws and gain spacers in case you lose then rolling the amps. Toxic cables put in a couple of rubber bands which you can use to couple your DAC to the Amp. Trouble with the DX50 it is difficult to place the two cables without obscuring either the screen or the three big buttons.

The sound through my Sennheiser HD600s (single ended) using the stock amps & buffers. A clean and tight sound. Nice mids and vocals. First impressions are good. I like the sound. It isn't as warm as the OPA627s in my Leckerton but has cleaner attributes that are enjoyable & different. I listened to Dire Straights - love over gold. Interesting on the quieter sections of the tracks and with the volume tuned ALL the way up, I noticed a tiny bit of hiss, which is not noticeable at all when listening at normal volumes. The system comes with the Hi gain setting of +10db so I took the spacers out to +0db and the aforementioned hiss was negligible.

I changed the buffers to the BUF634P WB (with the brown dale resistors soldered). I got a bit more punch and bass impact which I prefer. I understand you can stack the buffers so I will try that next.

Wow Bitter Sweet from Apocalyptica sounds amazing - as does the whole their album by the same name.

What surprised me is that the difference in the ease between the PB2 & the Leckerton UHA 6S MK11 driving the HD600s wasn't greater. To me it shows how versatile the Leckerton is.

But back to the PB2. Yes I really like it. Everything about it "screams" quality, it looks good with my DX50 and I like its sound signature with the OP604s. Will get round swapping those in due course.

It seems like a keeper and so is the Leckerton. But I suppose I could find that rolling in the OPA627s x4 in the PB2 might make it sound so similar that it isn't worth keeping both. But I will also need to check its susceptibility to RF interference when I commute as the Leckerton gives me so nasty RF feedback. I also need to check it with my IEMs.

And then there is the balanced cable to try .

Fun times -
smily_headphones1.gif

This not going to end is it? I ordered The Leckerton UHA-6S MKII on Monday and luckily Fedex delivered it to my doorstep on a Saturday.

UHA-4 (OPA627) was my favorite amp to pair with DX50 while traveling due to it's transparency, resolution and of course the size. I don't find it warm using JH16. It's just throws out incredibly clean details. Except the bass is not as full and energetic as my O2.

I tried to use O2 with DX50 while traveling. But the bulk and awkward arrangement of the jacks/volume pot really wears you down on the road. I thought I'd find something as transparent, revealing and provides the same impact in the bass as the O2.

And here I am holding a UHA-6SMKII. I chose ADA4627-1A as many people find this opamp very transparent with wider soundstage and resistant to interference.

I'm listening to it now and so far it really sounds like I'm using the O2. If I do a blind testing I might not be able to tell O2 from UHA-6SMKII.

Even the DAC section is surprisingly good when I hooked it up to DX50 via coax. It has plenty of power as well and pretty much drive my Beyer T1 with authority as much as O2 can.

With the option to roll opamps UHA-6SMKII is truly a great amp considering it's size and prize. It's the same dimension as UHA-4 but almost twice the depth. I wish in the future, Nick can make something like the UHA-6SMKIII but on a UHA-4 body or at least halfway the thickness.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #851 of 930
As stock the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII really couldn't do a good job of powering my cans.
Below specs are from their web page, link provided. Also, their THD specs are given at 1 mW which doesn't tell you what happens when you turn up the volume, which doesn't reach that far unless you have sensitive cans/IEMs. If you want to roll opamps, the +/- 6 VDC rails are going to be a limiting factor to what is achievable. This is also a reason for the low output power. I think you'd do far better getting a FiiO E18 DAC/Amp. If I needed optical and or SPIDF inputs, I'd look elsewhere.
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/#specifications
  1. Max output power (1% THD):
    1. 30 mW into 16 ohms
    2. 55 mW into 32 ohms
    3. 110 mW into 100 ohms
    4. 55 mW into 300 ohms

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #852 of 930
  As stock the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII really couldn't do a good job of powering my cans.
Below specs are from their web page, link provided. Also, their THD specs are given at 1 mW which doesn't tell you what happens when you turn up the volume, which doesn't reach that far unless you have sensitive cans/IEMs. If you want to roll opamps, the +/- 6 VDC rails are going to be a limiting factor to what is achievable. This is also a reason for the low output power. I think you'd do far better getting a FiiO E18 DAC/Amp. If I needed optical and or SPIDF inputs, I'd look elsewhere.
http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/#specifications
  1. Max output power (1% THD):
    1. 30 mW into 16 ohms
    2. 55 mW into 32 ohms
    3. 110 mW into 100 ohms
    4. 55 mW into 300 ohms

I was hesitant at first when I looked at the power spec. But with the cans I have or planning to have (LCD-X) it is more than enough. I have to turn down the volume on DX50 (235-245) when listening to T1 or I can't turn the volume pot past 11 o'clock on UHA-6SMKII.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #853 of 930

I was hesitant at first when I looked at the power spec. But with the cans I have or planning to have (LCD-X) it is more than enough. I have to turn down the volume on DX50 (235-245) when listening to T1 or I can't turn the volume pot past 11 o'clock on UHA-6SMKII.

It is also good to have headroom for volume peaks or transients, you won't have that much here. I've also stated this because other people might not be aware of the power limitations and make a wrong choice of amp or mistakenly think they can roll their way out of this.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #854 of 930
It is also good to have headroom for volume peaks or transients, you won't have that much here. I've also stated this because other people might not be aware of the power limitations and make a wrong choice of amp or mistakenly think they can roll their way out of this.

You may be right, but I have to say that the Leckerton has driven my HD600s with ease and I was surprised that the difference in volume between the PB2 and Leckerton wasn't greater.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #855 of 930
You may be right, but I have to say that the Leckerton has driven my HD600s with ease and I was surprised that the difference in volume between the PB2 and Leckerton wasn't greater.

It will still dependent on the phone you are using. IEMS I'm pretty sure won't have a problem. I guess at least 90% of the headphones out there won't have a problem with the UHA-6SMKII.

Heck the portaphile 627 can even drive HE-6 using only a single 3.7V power supply. I'm not familiar with the amp design used (Jung multi-loop) but based on the power supply, I can't imagine that amp can provide more than 7 (-/+ 3.7) volts swing to a load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back