So I lost my UE TF10s... I need a new toy now =p
Sep 16, 2011 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bnguyen1983

New Head-Fier
I got the UE TF10s when they were on sale last year for $100 and had no idea about higher end IEMs at all at the time. After using them for so long, I cant go back to any cheaper ear buds at all now. I was thinking about just getting another pair but they are at $250 normal price off of Amazon now and Im thinking to myself, I can maybe put in a bit more money and get something better. After reading around I have my eyes set on..

Sennheiser IE8s for $300
Earsonics SM3 v2 for $380

Every review I have read keeps telling me that both have their strengths and weaknesses but its so hard to choose when people seem to love both. I listen to mainly rap, trance, r&b, and house music and I dont know which would be better for me to get. I loved my UE TF10s but I hated how loose the fit was and how easy it was to fall out. I mainly use my headphones at the gym and at the office so something a bit durable would be nice. I never had a problem with my UE TF10s breaking. However, in the end, I care most about sound quality.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 8
I got the UE TF10s when they were on sale last year for $100 and had no idea about higher end IEMs at all at the time. After using them for so long, I cant go back to any cheaper ear buds at all now. I was thinking about just getting another pair but they are at $250 normal price off of Amazon now and Im thinking to myself, I can maybe put in a bit more money and get something better. After reading around I have my eyes set on..

Sennheiser IE8s for $300

Every review I have read keeps telling me that both have their strengths and weaknesses but its so hard to choose when people seem to love both. I listen to mainly rap, trance, r&b, and house music and I dont know which would be better for me to get. I loved my UE TF10s but I hated how loose the fit was and how easy it was to fall out. I mainly use my headphones at the gym and at the office so something a bit durable would be nice. I never had a problem with my UE TF10s breaking. However, in the end, I care most about sound quality.

seems like IE8 would be a better choice for you, especially since the genres you listed tend to be more on the bassy side, which IE8 excels in and added to the fact that its cables are kevlar enforced, its almost like a tank

sorry couldnt help you wif the sm3 though, have not heard those

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 8
I will recommend the IEMs like Sony EX1000(highely recommended, it offers amazing details in mids n highs with wide soundstage and deep punchy bass), JVC FX700(highely recommended because it offers deep reverbing bass with really wide soundstage and crisp, clear mids n highs), Sennheiser IE8(huge soundstage, has bass knob to increase bass, great midrange clarity n clear highs), SM3 V2, Westone 4, Westone 3, MTP Copper, MTP Gold for these genres music.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 8
get something better AND send those tf10s back in for repair/replacement. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

ie8, sm3v2, um3x, and w4 are all in your price range with coupons and are excellent choices - just gotta find what kind of sound signature you like best.

Quote:

Sennheiser IE8s for $300

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 8

I would if they broke.. I lost them out of my pocket somehow =(

I wish there was somewhere I can go and listen to both to figure out what kind of sound signature I like.

Does anyone know how the durability is with the SM3 v2? I heard they changed the wire style with the v2? Is that extra $80 worth it in sound quality wise?
Quote:
get something better AND send those tf10s back in for repair/replacement. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

ie8, sm3v2, um3x, and w4 are all in your price range with coupons and are excellent choices - just gotta find what kind of sound signature you like best.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 8
aw damn, that's what i get for replying before i've had my morning dose of caffeine >.<

sorry about that.

as for the sm3 v2 durability, i think they're on par with everything else in that top tier universal range. i don't own them myself, but haven't heard any real complaints about their build and when i tried em out for a day - they seemed as solid as the W4. the removable cable is always a nice option just in case the cable breaks from daily usage over the years. i've heard the sound changed a little with the V2 versus the V1, but that is hearsay because i've never heard the V1 myself

if you are concerned with durability, and you live in the US, why not go with a US maker and stay safe? your repair turn around time will be much faster.

Quote:
I would if they broke.. I lost them out of my pocket somehow =(

I wish there was somewhere I can go and listen to both to figure out what kind of sound signature I like.

Does anyone know how the durability is with the SM3 v2? I heard they changed the wire style with the v2? Is that extra $80 worth it in sound quality wise?

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 8
I owned the TF10s and IE8s at the same time and the complemented each other well.  

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 8
I just picked up a used pair of TF10s for $140. Clean the tips with hydrogen peroxide, and you're good to go. If you've been toying with the idea of customs, the TF10 transforms very nicely (and your total cost will be somewhere around $100 for impressions and reshelling)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back