So I broke my DT770 driver during recabling
Sep 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blu3ness

New Head-Fier
Man, this feeling sucks. I did the recabling mod, it went fine, but today I discovered that the left earcup sounds a little different from the right earcup, so I went and re-soldered the pins on both cups.

BUT, my fat fingers made the solder melt through the thin copper wires connecting the solder pin terminal to the inside of the driver. Now the left ear is completely broken.

Has anyone managed to fix this? Can I buy just a driver from Beyerdynamic or somewhere else? Would appreciate some help :frowning2:

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 11
I personally have bought drivers off audio technica. I paid $15 for a pair of audio technica ad700 drivers.  I seen in other treads people have bought drivers for sennheisers and they went for $80-90. My guess is it's gonna be around that same price, 80-90 for a pair.

If I was you'd I'd go to this website and see what they quote you.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/service/spare-parts.html

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 11
I am not sure if it is too late, or if you are interested, but you may be interested in trying to get 250 ohm or even 600ohm replacements instead of the 80ohm units. 
There are impressions all over the forums. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 11
  It's not too late yet, why 250 ohm or 600 ohm? just wondering, thanks.

Why recable? 
If you busted the cable and just wanted something functional there is no reason to get 2 new different drivers. 
If you were trying to make the headphones sound different, the cable is a waste of time, but different drivers do sound subtly different. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 11
  I am not sure if it is too late, or if you are interested, but you may be interested in trying to get 250 ohm or even 600ohm replacements instead of the 80ohm units. 
There are impressions all over the forums. 

Good point, the 600ohm drivers are nicely balanced in my very humble opinion :wink: The DT990 drivers in particular seem to be less peaky in the treble (less sibilant) which helps for long listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back