Sneak peek of Audio-Technica AT-HA5050H (pre-production unit)
Jul 10, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #61 of 95
IMO it's just a shame it has no outputs from the DAC to hook up other amplifiers.
Did anyone hear this Amp/DAC that also owns or has heard a Zana?

I've never heard a ZD, but this amp is very good. The DAC section is passable, but it isn't a killer and I'm happy there's no output from the DAC to feed another amp. It'd confuse people into keeping the so-so part of the product and tossing away the marvelous part :-/

The amp section of this is very good and scales well with other, better inputs, and that's why I'm happy it has the option for better inputs.

A local headphone shop has one and I've used it a number of times now with different sources and with either my HEK or SEM1.

It's still a bit pricy for me, but I have to say that I am hypnotised every time I'm in there with it. Someday~

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #62 of 95
  I did get my AT-HA5050H about three weeks ago (at a "bargain" price) and use it with my Pioneer SE-Master 1 headphones (source: Macbook Pro and Audirvana; all music AIFF files).

Before I used the Pioneer U-05 dac and amp.

Big improvement in every aspect compared to the U-05.

I also replaced the stock power cable with a power cable by Schnerzinger, what improved the sound again. And I use a high end usb cable (what also makes a difference).

Did not compare it to any other headphone amp, but to me and for my taste (I'm into High End for 30 years now) it sounds as good as it gets!

Great headphones meet a great headphone dac/amp - to me a perfect match.

I know I'm listening to the music using headphones and it's all around my head and not on a stage further away. But it doesn't feel like that. There is just the music around me and this is great fun und very enjoyable. Didn't think this is possible when using headphones.

If you have the chance, give this headphone dac/amp a try!!!

Congrats! 
L3000.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #63 of 95
This is the amp I would consider - I am absolutely sold on the superiority of hybrid headphone amps over tube or SS amps.

My concern is power at 200 ohm impedance - specifically , will it easily drive the Audex LCD-4 ?

Anyone tried this?

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #64 of 95
  This is the amp I would consider - I am absolutely sold on the superiority of hybrid headphone amps over tube or SS amps.

My concern is power at 200 ohm impedance - specifically , will it easily drive the Audex LCD-4 ?

Anyone tried this?

Though the 97 dB/mW is higher than the 83.5 dB/mW of Hifiman HE-6, the power requirement of LCD-4 seems to be huge. I haven't tried LCD-4, but it seems need something more powerful than HA5050H, with higher voltage swing and current.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #65 of 95

Though the 97 dB/mW is higher than the 83.5 dB/mW of Hifiman HE-6, the power requirement of LCD-4 seems to be huge. I haven't tried LCD-4, but it seems need something more powerful than HA5050H, with higher voltage swing and current.

impedance of the LCD- 4 is 200 ohms with 97 db/mW

impedance of the HE-6 is 50 ohms with 83.5 db/mW

so need to know the output of an amp at 200 and 50 ohms but the LCD may actually be easier to drive than the HE-6

if the amp output at 200 ohms is 50 mW wouldn't that drive the LCD-4 ?

see post below

experts may clarify this here.   

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #66 of 95
output of the HA5050H is

31 mW + 31 mW (64 ohms load)
3.3 mW + 3.3 mW (600 ohms load)

so I guess it is about 12 mW at 200 ohms which might drive the LCD-4

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #67 of 95
Very interesting question. I'm thinking the best place for one of these for me would be the office, but that's where I will soon have my McIntosh MPH-1000, another 200ohm headphone...

If anyone is ever lucky rebirth to give them a high impedance headphones a try with this amp, post it in here~~

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #68 of 95
Very interesting question. I'm thinking the best place for one of these for me would be the office, but that's where I will soon have my McIntosh MPH-1000, another 200ohm headphone...

If anyone is ever lucky rebirth to give them a high impedance headphones a try with this amp, post it in here~~

It is not just the impedance of the HP, it is the sensitivity. My Senny HD600 (terrible with the factory cable but good with the Cardas cable) has a 300 ohm impedance (hard to drive) but  about a 99 decibel sensitivity (easy to drive), and I find the HD600 is very close to the LCD-3 in terms of amp power needed.

I love the hybrid sound and love the changes I get with different tubes, and find an all tube amp is often pleasing but based on coloration of the tone, while a SS amp is lean in the tone body and more cold. With a hybrid it can be just right.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #70 of 95
It is not just the impedance of the HP, it is the sensitivity. My Senny HD600 (terrible with the factory cable but good with the Cardas cable) has a 300 ohm impedance (hard to drive) but  about a 99 decibel sensitivity (easy to drive), and I find the HD600 is very close to the LCD-3 in terms of amp power needed.

I love the hybrid sound and love the changes I get with different tubes, and find an all tube amp is often pleasing but based on coloration of the tone, while a SS amp is lean in the tone body and more cold. With a hybrid it can be just right.

You're totally right, I must have been half asleep when I wrote that... The MHP1000 are really efficient @ 97db/1mW, so the 200ohm impedance will play a factor, but won't hold them back on the amp at all. Just like you referenced with the HD600. Thanks for the reality check, I was slipping. 

I've been trying to find a street price for these in Japan as I've got a couple buddies over there that could get one used for me, but I haven't found anything besides the ~$5500USD retail prices. Anyone have any ideas of what these go for in Japan, where I'd hope they're a bit cheaper?

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #71 of 95

impedance of the LCD- 4 is 200 ohms with 97 db/mW

impedance of the HE-6 is 50 ohms with 83.5 db/mW

so need to know the output of an amp at 200 and 50 ohms but the LCD may actually be easier to drive than the HE-6

if the amp output at 200 ohms is 50 mW wouldn't that drive the LCD-4 ?

see post below

experts may clarify this here.   

HA5050 max voltage output is 8.35 Vrms, and the max current is 365 mA, sufficient for to drive 200 ohms load at max voltage swing. So the max power output of HA5050 for 200 ohms would be 348 mW, Considering the 97 dB/mw, theoretically should be able to drive LCD-4 to a very loud level.

Using this calculator:
http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

The result is:

Another calculator:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-power-calculator-spreadsheet

I have no idea why the power rating of LCD-4 is so high.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #72 of 95
Here is what I found - please tell me where I am wrong:

Headphone:                      LCD-3                          HD600                             LCD-4

nominal impedance           110 ohms                    300 ohms                        200 ohms

sensitivity                          102 db/mW                 97 db/mW                        97 db/mW

continuous amp               8 mW                         17 mW                              17 mW
power needed to                at 110 ohms               at 300 ohms                      at 200 ohms
drive to 110 db

So the LCD-3 is the most efficient and the Senny HD600 is the least efficient while the LCD-4 is slightly more efficient than the Senny HD600

So if an amp will drive the HD600 it should drive the LCD-4

HA-5-5050H Rated Output (20 Hz – 20 kHz):
125 mW + 125 mW (16 ohms load)
62 mW + 62 mW (32 ohms load)

The HA-5050H should drive the LCD-4 just fine

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #73 of 95
  HA-5-5050H Rated Output (20 Hz – 20 kHz):
125 mW + 125 mW (16 ohms load)
62 mW + 62 mW (32 ohms load)

The HA-5050H should drive the LCD-4 just fine

Where did you get that spec from?

From my measurement, in page 1, the output is much higher than that.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #74 of 95

Where did you get that spec from?

From my measurement, in page 1, the output is much higher than that.

Are you measuring peak power or continuous power  (20 hz to 20 KHz) ?

I showed continuous (RMS) power.

I got the specs from the AT and Audeze web sites.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #75 of 95
Are you measuring peak power or continuous power  (20 hz to 20 KHz) ?

I showed continuous (RMS) power.

I got the specs from the AT and Audeze web sites.

Let's put it this way: the Woo Audio WA8 plugged into the wall cannot drive the LCD-4, though the sound is still very good. To drive the background and instrument seperation with the front instruments and vocals, you need a DAC and Amp that can provide lots of CLEAN power to the LCD-4, as it is even harder to drive than the HE-6 to my ears. You could try to use Hifiman Speaker Taps, though I don't know how much LCD-4 driver replacements will be if you blow one.

Also, is the AT-HA5050H designed to work with specific AT models, like the W5000 and the HA5000 together?

Edit: Don't forget that the HD600 has dynamic drivers and the LCD-3 and LCD-4 have planar-magnetic drivers, so sound diffusion is different between drivers. Typically the planar-magnetic drivers are tougher to drive, hence the LCD-4 and HE-6 comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back