Sneak peek of Audio-Technica AT-HA5050H (pre-production unit)
Jul 14, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #76 of 95
Let's put it this way: the Woo Audio WA8 plugged into the wall cannot drive the LCD-4, though the sound is still very good. To drive the background and instrument seperation with the front instruments and vocals, you need a DAC and Amp that can provide lots of CLEAN power to the LCD-4, as it is even harder to drive than the HE-6 to my ears. You could try to use Hifiman Speaker Taps, though I don't know how much LCD-4 driver replacements will be if you blow one.

Also, is the AT-HA5050H designed to work with specific AT models, like the W5000 and the HA5000 together?

What is the RMS power of the Woo at 200 ohms? 9 milliwatts or more is needed to drive the LCD-4.

Will your Woo drive the HD600 - as hard to drive as the  LCD-4?

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #77 of 95
What is the RMS power of the Woo at 200 ohms? 9 milliwatts or more is needed to drive the LCD-4.

Will your Woo drive the HD600 - as hard to drive as the  LCD-4?

I mentioned in the last edit that the HD600 has dynamic drivers and the LCD-series all have planar-magnetic drivers, making the HD600 easier to drive than the LCD-series or planars in general.

The Woo Audio WA8 was a demo model at the Woo Audio section of CanJam@SoCal earlier this year. The product info and specs tab for it is here:

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa8eclipse.html

Edit: Specs are on the owner's manual and that link is in the product link above.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #78 of 95
I don't think it matters if it is planar or dynamic cone - neither is harder to drive than the other - it depends on their efficiency (sensitivity and impedance)

The Woo power is listed as

approximately 350mW @ 45 ohms

useless info - doesn't say if it is peak or continuous (RMS power)

You need to know the Woo's power at 200 ohms to assess its ability with the LCD-4 

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #79 of 95
I was referring to how sound diffusion works with our ears. You could calculate how the impedence will work the the power current inside a source, DAC, amp, and headphone, but physics does not care what we are hearing one bit. :)

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #81 of 95

Are you measuring peak power or continuous power  (20 hz to 20 KHz) ?

I showed continuous (RMS) power.

I got the specs from the AT and Audeze web sites.

I see. What I measured was maximum power, pretty much aligned with their spec:

Maximum Output Level: 2,000 mW + 2,000 mW (16 ohms load) 
1,000 mW + 1,000 mW (32 ohms load) 
500 mW + 500 mW (64 ohms load) 
62 mW + 62 mW (600 ohms load) 

Rated Output (20 Hz – 20 kHz): 125 mW + 125 mW (16 ohms load) 
62 mW + 62 mW (32 ohms load) 
31 mW + 31 mW (64 ohms load) 
3.3 mW + 3.3 mW (600 ohms load) 

Let's put it this way: the Woo Audio WA8 plugged into the wall cannot drive the LCD-4, though the sound is still very good. To drive the background and instrument seperation with the front instruments and vocals, you need a DAC and Amp that can provide lots of CLEAN power to the LCD-4, as it is even harder to drive than the HE-6 to my ears. You could try to use Hifiman Speaker Taps, though I don't know how much LCD-4 driver replacements will be if you blow one.

Also, is the AT-HA5050H designed to work with specific AT models, like the W5000 and the HA5000 together?

Edit: Don't forget that the HD600 has dynamic drivers and the LCD-3 and LCD-4 have planar-magnetic drivers, so sound diffusion is different between drivers. Typically the planar-magnetic drivers are tougher to drive, hence the LCD-4 and HE-6 comparison.

Agree. Perceived 'well driven' sound is not always easy to get.
I don't any info if AT-HA5050H is designed to work with specific AT models. It matches T1 and HD800 quite well in my testing.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #82 of 95
  I did get my AT-HA5050H about three weeks ago (at a "bargain" price) and use it with my Pioneer SE-Master 1 headphones (source: Macbook Pro and Audirvana; all music AIFF files).

...I also replaced the stock power cable with a power cable by Schnerzinger, what improved the sound again. And I use a high end usb cable (what also makes a difference)...

Just ordered mine this morning.  Also a bargain price, it being a floor model. 

Now I'm very curious about your power cable.  I'm not able to get to their store for a demonstration, which model are you using?  How much do they run?  I'm not able to find any info online

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #84 of 95
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I can't find a more recent one on this headphone amplifier. I'm somewhat confused by the power specs:

AT-HA5050H Rated Output (20 Hz – 20 kHz):
125 mW + 125 mW (16 ohms load)
62 mW + 62 mW (32 ohms load)
31 mW + 31 mW (64 ohms load)
3.3 mW + 3.3 mW (600 ohms load)

Is it just me, or do these ratings seem very low for a dedicated headphone amplifier, especially one with a $6k price tag?

As a comparison, my existing tube-hybrid headphone amp's power output specs are:
Schiit Mjolnir 2 - 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 8.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 5.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 850mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 425mW RMS per channel

And my previous all-tube headphone amp's power output specs were:
Schiit Valhalla 2 - 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 7Hz-200KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 180mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 450mW RMS per channel

I know that in real-life situations such high power capability is academic as most headphones (particularly dynamic driver designs) will only draw a fraction of this power in use. However I have grown up under the instruction that "headroom is good, but more headroom is better!". Looking at the AT-HA5050H's specs, this headphone amp doesn't seem to offer much headroom, especially with very high impedance headphones, where it can supply less than 1/125th of the RMS power of the other two amps I mentioned, which is quite a big difference!!! Or have I misunderstood?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #85 of 95
Wow....I took a chance on the 5050H and thought that it will not measure up to my very best dynamics amp, the ECP L3, and it is more or less at the same level. I bought mine at a discount but with a full warranty and I'm more than happy with my purchase. This amp is incredibly musical and play very nice with my HD800 and R10. The sound is weighty but not thick. Slightly warm but not overly warm. Incredibly sweet and immensely musical. Not the widest of the soundstage but one of best at representing depth of soundstaging. Very layered with smooth and very organic presentation. This amp really deserve more following. Very well done AT!! It is also very powerful.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #87 of 95
Yes. Use better DAC For even better result.

May 31, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #88 of 95
Hugo 2 up to the task? I am also looking at the Headamp GSX 2 or TT2. Whichever, it will be used as pre-amp to go with ATC SCM40A actives. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #89 of 95
Hugo 2 up to the task? I am also looking at the Headamp GSX 2 or TT2. Whichever, it will be used as pre-amp to go with ATC SCM40A actives. Any recommendations?
I like this better than the GSX MKii. Audition it first and I think you will agree. It sounds really nice. It has great sense of dynamics along with lushness. A really wonderful listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back