Sneak peek of Audio-Technica AT-HA5050H (pre-production unit)
Jan 15, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #32 of 95
  Just a note on price.  AT rep at CES quoted $6,000 to Tyll Herstens.  Not in my price range, but reviews are going to very good, judging from early posts.

Noted thanks! 
Way beyond my budget as well 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #33 of 95
Thank you for this excellent review earfonia.  I noticed that you list the beyerdynamic DT880 'pro' 600 ohm headphones in the review.  Where did you get them, as all I could locate were the premium version in 600 ohm.  I prefer the slightly stronger clamping force offered by the pro version from them.  Was this just a misprint maybe?

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #34 of 95
Thank you for this excellent review earfonia.  I noticed that you list the beyerdynamic DT880 'pro' 600 ohm headphones in the review.  Where did you get them, as all I could locate were the premium version in 600 ohm.  I prefer the slightly stronger clamping force offered by the pro version from them.  Was this just a misprint maybe?

I bought it from Jaben Singapore. I heard the Pro model is not very common in other place, not sure how Jaben got the Pro version.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #35 of 95

FYI, here is the picture of the DT880 PRO 600 ohms. The 600 ohms indication is on the headphone jack.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #38 of 95

I had to settle on the premium as locating the pro version has proven elusive.  It appears that even Jaben is only offering the premiums now also.  Wanna trade?
atsmile.gif

What's the different between Premium and Pro?

What advantage does a balanced input provide if there is no balanced headphone output? 

Edit: I know there is an advantage because you can connect balanced DAC. But is there a way to have balanced output with headphones? 

Balanced interconnections has different purpose and meaning than headphones balanced connection.

Balanced connection between DAC and Amp (or other audio equipment other than headphones), is meant to increase rejection of noise and interference, to achieve higher S/N. Balanced signal received by the amplifier will be converted to unbalanced signal in the amplifier, to eliminate the noise and interference. If the balanced signal is not converted to unbalanced signal in the amplifier, the purpose of balanced signal to reject noise and interference is not achieved.

While the purpose of balanced connection for headphone is not to reject noise and interference, but to improve driving ability of the the amplifier for better control / handling of the headphone driver. This is achieved by totally separating the ground wire between the left and right drivers of the headphone, so each driver is totally separated, not sharing the ground wire with the other driver, and each driver is driven by 2 independent amplifiers. So total 4 amplifiers for balanced headphone output. It will also reduced a lot of crosstalk caused by sharing ground wire in unbalanced headphone.

Unbalanced headphone amplifiers usually have 2 amplifiers, one for each left and right driver. Or sometime 3 amplifiers, the 3rd amplifier is for the shared ground channel (active ground topology).

In summary:

Balanced interconnection between equipment like DAC and Amplifier:
Improve rejection of noise and interference. Required especially for long distance connection.
Requires 3 wires per signal, Tip - Ring - Shield (Ground).

Balanced Headphone amplifier:
Improve amplifier driving ability (control over the headphone driver), reduced crosstalk, improve slew rate.
Requires only 2 wires per driver, Positive and Negative wires, as headphone driver only has 2 terminals.

Probably my DIY project a few years ago might give you a better understanding, although not really a fully balanced headphone amplifier, but only a Pseudo Balanced Amplifier:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553236/pseudo-balanced-amplifier-pba

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #39 of 95

What's the different between Premium and Pro?

Balanced interconnections has different purpose and meaning than headphones balanced connection.

Balanced connection between DAC and Amp (or other audio equipment other than headphones), is meant to increase rejection of noise and interference, to achieve higher S/N. Balanced signal received by the amplifier will be converted to unbalanced signal in the amplifier, to eliminate the noise and interference. If the balanced signal is not converted to unbalanced signal in the amplifier, the purpose of balanced signal to reject noise and interference is not achieved.

While the purpose of balanced connection for headphone is not to reject noise and interference, but to improve driving ability of the the amplifier for better control / handling of the headphone driver. This is achieved by totally separating the ground wire between the left and right drivers of the headphone, so each driver is totally separated, not sharing the ground wire with the other driver, and each driver is driven by 2 independent amplifiers. So total 4 amplifiers for balanced headphone output. It will also reduced a lot of crosstalk caused by sharing ground wire in unbalanced headphone.

Unbalanced headphone amplifiers usually have 2 amplifiers, one for each left and right driver. Or sometime 3 amplifiers, the 3rd amplifier is for the shared ground channel (active ground topology).

In summary:

Balanced interconnection between equipment like DAC and Amplifier:
Improve rejection of noise and interference. Required especially for long distance connection.
Requires 3 wires per signal, Tip - Ring - Shield (Ground).

Balanced Headphone amplifier:
Improve amplifier driving ability (control over the headphone driver), reduced crosstalk, improve slew rate.
Requires only 2 wires per driver, Positive and Negative wires, as headphone driver only has 2 terminals.

Probably my DIY project a few years ago might give you a better understanding, although not really a fully balanced headphone amplifier, but only a Pseudo Balanced Amplifier:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553236/pseudo-balanced-amplifier-pba

Both models use the same drivers and sound identical however, the premium applies less earcup clamping force to the head and uses a straight 10ft. cord.  The pro model has a slightly higher clamping force to the head and uses a coiled cord.  My head is small so the pro model fits better for me.  Some say the premium is more comfortable for long listening sessions.  Below is a discussion of on this topic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/635205/beyerdynamic-880-pro-vs-880-premium-why-the-difference

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #40 of 95

Both models use the same drivers and sound identical however, the premium applies less earcup clamping force to the head and uses a straight 10ft. cord.  The pro model has a slightly higher clamping force to the head and uses a coiled cord.  My head is small so the pro model fits better for me.  Some say the premium is more comfortable for long listening sessions.  Below is a discussion of on this topic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/635205/beyerdynamic-880-pro-vs-880-premium-why-the-difference

Thanks for the info! The PRO clamping force is just fine for me, use to bring it for some recording sessions. I guess I'm used with the firm clamping force of the PRO.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #43 of 95
2015-02-04 Update of the Frequency Response graph
Recently I got an update from Audio-Technica for the official frequency response graph. As I expected, AT-HA5050H has flatter response with much wider high frequency coverage than the line input frequency response of my Sound Blaster X7 that I used for the RMAA test. AT-HA5050H is practically flat from 10Hz to 100kHz, remarkable!

Updated:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/749555/sneak-peek-of-audio-technica-at-ha5050h-pre-production-unit#post_11195248

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #44 of 95
I got to try this beauty over the weekend at a show in taiwan. It sounded really nice. The rep said it will be out later half of this year.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #45 of 95
I got to try this beauty over the weekend at a show in taiwan. It sounded really nice. The rep said it will be out later half of this year.

I miss it a lot! My Beyerdynamic T1 never sounded as good as with HA5050H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back