Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
Jun 24, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #61 of 404
Could any of you record the output of a song with some of the different PRIRs so we can have an idea how it sounds with our ears ? I'm planning in buying one but not having much access to big studios/rooms this would help.

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #62 of 404
Quote:
Does anyone know what the SPV 51 PRIR is, where it was made and the equipment?  It was done by cr in 2010 and I can't find the source.  It is one of the best for me, an expansive hall with good acoustics, I would say, and terrific speakers.

This plus some of the MSMs are actually better than anything I made myself, including AIX 5.1.  The only competition is for two channel, PEAK consult El Diablo.

Its one of the PRIRS I got from the german guys, It might be another MSM one I just loaded it in my presets so i can compare later tonight ..

Quote:
Could any of you record the output of a song with some of the different PRIRs so we can have an idea how it sounds with our ears ? I'm planning in buying one but not having much access to big studios/rooms this would help.

Not sure it would give a good impression but if I can find some time to swap my cables (which is a pain in the ass) I can give it a try :)

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #63 of 404
Quote:

Its one of the PRIRS I got from the german guys, It might be another MSM one I just loaded it in my presets so i can compare later tonight ..

Any idea what kind of equipment they use, the room, the cost and availability of the studio for making calibrations?  I may be going to Germany in a few months.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #65 of 404
Can someone add me to the dropbox folder? I am getting my Realiser in a couple weeks and don't have access to a high end 5.1 system.

I already PM'd Silverlight, but got no response...

Thanks.

My e-mail is "darinfong at gmail dot com"

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #66 of 404
Quote:
Can someone add me to the dropbox folder? I am getting my Realiser in a couple weeks and don't have access to a high end 5.1 system.

I already PM'd Silverlight, but got no response...

Thanks.

My e-mail is "darinfong at gmail dot com"

Hi - sent you an invite (would have come from DropBox) this morning, will try re-sending now.  Enjoy the Realiser!

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #67 of 404
Quote:
Hi - sent you an invite (would have come from DropBox) this morning, will try re-sending now.  Enjoy the Realiser!

I got the invite. For some reason I missed the one from this morning. Thank you!

I will upload mine once I get the Realiser.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #68 of 404
Quote:

Quote:
Not sure it would give a good impression but if I can find some time to swap my cables (which is a pain in the ass) I can give it a try :)

I would really like to hear song processed with SVS before I buy a Realiser, too. Would really appreciate if you Hoax, or anyone else, could do this.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #69 of 404
Quote:

I would really like to hear song processed with SVS before I buy a Realiser, too. Would really appreciate if you Hoax, or anyone else, could do this.

+1
popcorn.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #71 of 404
Quote:

I bet the people at Smyth must cringe at the though of this.

The odds of the recorded output of the Realiser working at all with any given listener is probably pretty bad. Not only are you using a calibration from someone else's ears, you are also factoring the original listener's headphone/amp combination and the additional interaction of the headphones with their ears. So now you have three completely unique parameters which have to be reasonable close to probably even sound decent, let alone anywhere near what it would sound like after doing a proper personal measurement.

Of course it might work, if you happen to have similar ears and the same headphones as the original listener, but what are the odds of that? Maybe if the recording is made without an HPEQ, and the listeners use IEM's, then at least the headphone/ear interaction would not be a factor.

Without actually having ever heard a Realiser, I can't comment on how "bad" someone elses PRIR and HPEQ might sound though. I totally understand wanting to at least hear the "out of head" effect even if it isn't optimal. I would love to experience that too knowing that it's not even going to be close to the "real thing." I'm sure that's the reason why Smyth doesn't have any online "demos" that you can listen to or download. It may actually steer people away from buying a Realiser if they listen and don't like the "bad" sound.

When I get mine, I will try to figure out how to record the headphone output of the Realiser. Worst case, I could plug the 2 channel line out into my computer and record it analog and then A/D in the computer. Or maybe I will have someone else do a PRIR, record the output, and then I can listen to it to see if it works at all.

I'll send an update once I actually have my Realiser...

-Darin

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #72 of 404
Quote:
I bet the people at Smyth must cringe at the though of this.

The odds of the recorded output of the Realiser working at all with any given listener is probably pretty bad. Not only are you using a calibration from someone else's ears, you are also factoring the original listener's headphone/amp combination and the additional interaction of the headphones with their ears. So now you have three completely unique parameters which have to be reasonable close to probably even sound decent, let alone anywhere near what it would sound like after doing a proper personal measurement.

Of course it might work, if you happen to have similar ears and the same headphones as the original listener, but what are the odds of that? Maybe if the recording is made without an HPEQ, and the listeners use IEM's, then at least the headphone/ear interaction would not be a factor.

Without actually having ever heard a Realiser, I can't comment on how "bad" someone elses PRIR and HPEQ might sound though. I totally understand wanting to at least hear the "out of head" effect even if it isn't optimal. I would love to experience that too knowing that it's not even going to be close to the "real thing." I'm sure that's the reason why Smyth doesn't have any online "demos" that you can listen to or download. It may actually steer people away from buying a Realiser if they listen and don't like the "bad" sound.

When I get mine, I will try to figure out how to record the headphone output of the Realiser. Worst case, I could plug the 2 channel line out into my computer and record it analog and then A/D in the computer. Or maybe I will have someone else do a PRIR, record the output, and then I can listen to it to see if it works at all.

I'll send an update once I actually have my Realiser...

-Darin

I agree it would give a distorted perspective of the amazing potential of this technology.  I have an Amarra DAC with a good A/D converter, but ideally would prefer to find a way to record from the Toslink digital output (the Amarra doesn't have a Toslink digital input; the Lynx HiLo has one if anyone uses one of these) to create a sample or two.  It would certainly be fun to create a bunch of personal tracks with this setup for listening

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #73 of 404
Quote:

I agree it would give a distorted perspective of the amazing potential of this technology.  I have an Amarra DAC with a good A/D converter, but ideally would prefer to find a way to record from the Toslink digital output (the Amarra doesn't have a Toslink digital input; the Lynx HiLo has one if anyone uses one of these) to create a sample or two.  It would certainly be fun to create a bunch of personal tracks with this setup for listening

Most higher end PC motherboards have a Toslink optical input. Mine does. I could record the digital output from the Realiser digitally via my desktop computer to a WAV or FLAC file using Audacity. No need for a DAC. I think I read that this works great for listening to the Realiser sound on your portable music player, assuming you used an HPEQ for the headphones that are portable when making the recordings. I am going to try that with my Etymotic ER-4's and my phone as a player to see if it works.

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #74 of 404
I got some issues with recording sound, which is that nothing got recorded. I did find out in the mean time that i had my digital input muted the first time I tried, but still no sound now.

So I'm going to dig up my copy of soundforge somewhere to make sure im using a decent recording program (I tested with windows recorder if i had any input signal) or I might install cubase.  Also I will have to read the manual to make sure If I have to enable a specific option to also route sound to the toslink output on the Realiser. If it's still not working after this I will re-check my soundcard settings again.

If i still cant get the toslink inputs get to work on my soundcard (creative x-fi) after that I will hook up a professional (external) soundcard from TC Electronic and use analoge recording. I havent connected the TC Electronic in a long time though so I would have to check all all the cables and routing on my external mix panel and interntal software routing as well .. So I really hope I can just get the toslink inputs/outputs to work (It would most likely give a better neutral sound as well if its not going through my analog gear first).

If anyone got time in the mean time to check the realiser's manual to find some info about the toslink output would be appreciated :)

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #75 of 404
Hi Hoax,

I am new in thread / a new member, but watching it for a long time.

I have had the same problem a while ago - ensure that your soundcard runs at 48 kHz or locked off , if not, comb filter effects happens (44,1 kHz).

The hint is missing in manual, Smyth company knows that.

S/PDIF Format is 48kHz/24bit, output is always operating.

Make sure that your soundcard operates in optical mode  and S/PDIF, not in coax/ADAT or AES/EBU.

Regards

jlejle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back