Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
Jul 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #76 of 404
Quote:
Hi Hoax,

I am new in thread / a new member, but watching it for a long time.

I have had the same problem a while ago - ensure that your soundcard runs at 48 kHz or locked off , if not, comb filter effects happens (44,1 kHz).

The hint is missing in manual, Smyth company knows that.

S/PDIF Format is 48kHz/24bit, output is always operating.

Make sure that your soundcard operates in optical mode  and S/PDIF, not in coax/ADAT or AES/EBU.

Regards

jlejle

Thanks that kinda helped :)

I couldnt find any option to set my card on 48 khz but I did find an option creative called: Bit Matched recording after I switched the soundcard to recording mode.

Also i got sound now! Hope to post something real soon now, I dont really have music though, as I only watch tv and movies but I will see what I can find :)

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #77 of 404
Quote:

The odds of the recorded output of the Realiser working at all with any given listener is probably pretty bad. Not only are you using a calibration from someone else's ears, you are also factoring the original listener's headphone/amp combination and the additional interaction of the headphones with their ears. So now you have three completely unique parameters which have to be reasonable close to probably even sound decent, let alone anywhere near what it would sound like after doing a proper personal measurement.

This is exactly what I thought.  The "default" PRIR that comes with the Realiser sounds horrible.  I thought that any PRIR not made by me would be about as bad.  So imagine my surprise when several of the PRIRs I sampled actually sound better than the one I made at AIX!  In particular, several of the MSM Studio PRIRs have a deeper and wider sound stage and at least as good tonal qualities as the AIX 5.1. I have no way of explaining this, only to guess that my head/ears resemble those of the person who made these PRIRs.  

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #78 of 404
Has anyone experienced the following problem:

I copy a PRIR from dropbox to my desktop.  This works fine.  I then copy the PRIR onto an sd card.  That works fine and when I open the reader on my desktop the SD card shows the new file is present along with ones I previously calibrated.  I put the SD card into the slot in the realiser.  However, when I try to load it, the new file does not show up on the card via the Realiser.  I.e., I see the two files that were previously present on the card from when I did the measurements.  But I don't see the new file.

This has happened with several SD cards so far.  So I now cannot try any new PRIRs.  Any suggestions?

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #79 of 404
Can anybody get these excalibur files to work (either as posted here or from dropbox)?  I'm most interested in the 2.0 setup, but I just can't get it to load.  LOVING that Sasha PRIR btw.
Quote:

Focal Scala 7.0
Acapella Sphäron "Excalibur" 2.0
Acapella Sphäron "Excalibur" 5.0
Acapella Sphäron "Excalibur" 7.0

Note: These very high end speakers were calibrated in a room without acoustic treatment, instore quite often is the case. I made multi channel 7.0 out of 2 speakers, so the L/R surrounds sound a bit boomy because of the proximity of the speakers while seated near them to achieve 110 degree angles. This is not a problem though, because frequency response on the surrounds is generally not in the lower frequency range and is not noticable while watching movies.

30 degree angle at 2.84m distance from centre channel. (to increase distance on the Realiser, use the Far3 or 4 setting, press menu/all/proximity/far4/ok/exit and save the PRIR menu P1 etc save settings)

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #80 of 404
Quote:
Has anyone experienced the following problem:

I copy a PRIR from dropbox to my desktop.  This works fine.  I then copy the PRIR onto an sd card.  That works fine and when I open the reader on my desktop the SD card shows the new file is present along with ones I previously calibrated.  I put the SD card into the slot in the realiser.  However, when I try to load it, the new file does not show up on the card via the Realiser.  I.e., I see the two files that were previously present on the card from when I did the measurements.  But I don't see the new file.

This has happened with several SD cards so far.  So I now cannot try any new PRIRs.  Any suggestions?

When I was at the Champaign Audio demonstration with Lorr, my recollection he mentioned the Realizer is only set to read the old FAT16 so SD cards greater than 2 gig, won't necessarily work.  PS Audio has the same design.  

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #81 of 404
Yes, I am using the old FAT16 cards...I was able to record PRIRs at several sites using the cards.  I was also able to copy some from dropbox in the past and use them.  But now I have several copies on my SD card that show up on the card in my computer but not when I insert the card in the Realiser.  It's a mystery.

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #82 of 404
Hi, Kiritz / community

on win XP SP2/3, it is recommended to use this SD formatter, realiser reads/writes only FAT16 up to 2GB:

panasonic sdfv200x.exe

http://www.audio-import.de/index.php?page=shop.getfile&file_id=251&product_id=44&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58&lang=de

SD Karten Formatierprogramm 16 Bit (1,28 MB)

Latest version (Win 7/8): http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/ (linked to SD Association)

---

Options: Format type: FULL (Erase ON/OFF), depending on reader/writer typ, Format Szie Adjustment: OFF

If someone needs the manual for SDF, please send PM

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #83 of 404
My non-playable files show up on the computer, show up on the card, and can be transferred to the realizer.   They can be moved to the P buttons.  They just don't work once they get there. Some, when I hit the left button, give error messages for several channels. Some, particularly the two channels (PEAK and Spharon) show nothing wrong at all; they just don't make any noise.

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #86 of 404
I have discovered one solution.  But it doesn't work for the problem of non-working files, only the problem of files on the card that aren't seen by the realiser.  If I erase the previous PRIRs on the card so that it is blank, I can now load one PRIR and it reads in the Realiser and transfers.  Then I need to erase the current one for the next iteration.

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #87 of 404
Hi Everybody,

I just joined e few hours ago. Thanks silverlight for adding me to the Dropbox Folder.

I allready uploaded some of my PRIR Files. Let me give you a few details on the Files:

First of all. I'm a professional Musician, Composer, Producer in Switzerland. I've been using the Realiser to work in a "real" Studio Environment here at Home. I just measured all the Studios I could get in without paying any big money. Most of my Files are 2.0 (I'll be adding some 5.1 later). Some of the Systems measured are not actually high quality, but very good as reference (auratone & NS10)

The one File I'm using constantly for my Work is the Hardstudio A Dynaudio M4+. However I was a little rushed when i did the measuring so the L-R Balance is a little of. I just adjusted it in the Realiser. Works perfect for me.

Let me know what you think of the Files. I'll be adding more soon.

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #88 of 404
JleJle:

Can you please explain the "_SVS_Demos" folder that you uploaded? I am not sure if it's actual Realiser output or if you used Foobar and the plug-ins to simulate the Realiser effect?

Specifically in the "5.1_surroundtests" folder, how were those files generated? Are they recordings of the output of the Realiser or a simulation using FooBar?

I listened to the surround tests just with headphones straight out of the computer. The effect does work in that the sound does sound like it's coming from outside of my head, but the center channel sounds in my head and not in front. The rear channels sound like they are far left and right, but not behind. Just an observation. I don't expect it to work perfectly like my own PRIR through the Realiser.

Thanks for your help.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #89 of 404
any idea what file format these prir files use?  is it possible to compare frequency or impulse responses?

Jul 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #90 of 404
Hi West726,

to have a neutral basis before loading new PRIR, manual and my experience says: erase preset first, especially if you've changed channel configuration/assignment or before loading PRIRs with different channels.

To solve the file problems reformat your SD card with the recommended formatter and rewrite the files and try it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back