Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
May 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #46 of 404
Quote:
Hmm I been using the LCD-2 for the last few days and it totally seem to have changed the sound (and I did do the HPEQ again). The sound itself is great but im suddenly not so sure anymore if the PRIRS i liked before would still be the best PRIRS for me at the moment. It doesnt need an amp to work however im very curious if it would improve things.. For example I just read in a different thread that the LCD's need an amp to get a better soundstage as its not at its best without. So im wondering how well does the realiser actually do as an amp or would I still be better off getting one? How many of you are using amps on the realiser and think it was needed to improve things?

Edit -

If any of you are using amps let me know which one please.. I think the amp would need hdmi/toslink inputs? I looked at the burson audio amp Audio Addict was mentioning but im not sure you can connect that one to the realiser

I used my RSA SR71B with the single ended input.  Lorr Kramer basically disconnected the Stax amp and substituted mine.  Lorr did indicate since the measurement is based on the interaction of hearing with the sound from the headphone, different headphones will have different PRIRS to achieve the same sonic being duplicated by the Realiser.

May 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #47 of 404
Quote:
I used my RSA SR71B with the single ended input.  Lorr Kramer basically disconnected the Stax amp and substituted mine.  Lorr did indicate since the measurement is based on the interaction of hearing with the sound from the headphone, different headphones will have different PRIRS to achieve the same sonic being duplicated by the Realiser.

PRIR should remain the same, HPEQ file needs to be specific to each amp/headphone combination

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #50 of 404
Quote:
 So im wondering how well does the realiser actually do as an amp or would I still be better off getting one? How many of you are using amps on the realiser and think it was needed to improve things?

According to Lorr, the least interference with the signal path is best.  So he felt that my arrangement, where I feed my Oppo 95 source signal directly into the Realiser, would not be improved by introducing an amp into the circuit. Of course, I'm sure that on the output side a better headphone amp would provide an improvement.  Some day I hope to upgrade my STAX and also my headphone amp.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #51 of 404
Quote:
PRIR should remain the same, HPEQ file needs to be specific to each amp/headphone combination

After watching a full blu ray movie yesterday it looks like that indeed.. I guess my expectations of the LCD-2 were just too high straight out of the box. The sound quality improved over my DT-990's but the depth of the sound I expected a big improvement as well and it kinda let me down on that part. I hope an amp will fix that. Did some more research and apparantly you can use the secondary headphone outputs on the realiser (which are RCA) and connect those to the Burson AMP. That kinda leaves me with another question I think I heard 2 people could use the realiser at the same time using different prirs does anyone know how to assign a different prir to the other headphone outs?.

Oh speaking of setting inputs/outputs .. Everytime I start up the realiser i have to change HDMI inputs to Line Inputs .. It would be nice if the Realiser just remembered this setting

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #52 of 404
Quote:

Oh speaking of setting inputs/outputs .. Everytime I start up the realiser i have to change HDMI inputs to Line Inputs .. It would be nice if the Realiser just remembered this setting

That's interesting.  I use HDMI, but whenever I power down and start up again, it reverts to line and I have to change it back to HMDI!

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #53 of 404
Quote:

That's interesting.  I use HDMI, but whenever I power down and start up again, it reverts to line and I have to change it back to HMDI!

You need to save settings to permanently fix changes.

There are 2 ways to save settings, each of these types will save different settings on the Realiser:

Press ! > save system config

and

Press menu > P1 > save preset

I can't remember which one it is that saves the HDMI input, but it is one of those.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #54 of 404
Quote:

You need to save settings to permanently fix changes.

There are 2 ways to save settings, each of these types will save different settings on the Realiser:

Press ! > save system config

and

Press menu > P1 > save preset

I can't remember which one it is that saves the HDMI input, but it is one of those.

It's not the save preset for sure .. That was the first thing I did right from the start.. I will try that first option tonight hope it works :)

Guess its time again to read the manual. I cant remembering seeing anything about changing prirs for the secondary output though .. hope that wont be too painful to go through everytime

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #55 of 404
Looks like the exchange idea hasn't developed legs yet.  Too bad.  The MSM PRIR I found here is better in many ways for me than my own AIX PRIR.  I still think it's a good idea to experiment and sorry not many more participants.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #56 of 404
Quote:
Looks like the exchange idea hasn't developed legs yet.  Too bad.  The MSM PRIR I found here is better in many ways for me than my own AIX PRIR.  I still think it's a good idea to experiment and sorry not many more participants.

Uploading another 24 as we speak (mostly MSM ones) :)

I do like the MSM ones because in my ears the sound seems thicker .. not sure what kind of equipment they use at AIX and Mi Casa (if i spell that right) .. Im still hoping to find a PRIR that would give me a better front / back sound so yeah I hope people will keep sharing as well but I do kinda understand why people arent. they think It's useless to find a PRIR you like if you already got your own. But for experimenting it should still be interesting because as Kiritz mentioned, even if you got your own PRIRS you might still be able to find something just as good or even better if you're lucky so please dont stop sharing!

To check out the different studios these PRIRS come from check out the site and click Studios they got quite some different studios in the building and not all PRIRS come from the same one

http://www.msm-studios.com

EDIT -

If anyone likes any of these PRIRS it can only get better for you, anyone with the opportunity to visit Europe should really plan a few hours at MSM too

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #57 of 404
Quote:

EDIT -

If anyone likes any of these PRIRS it can only get better for you, anyone with the opportunity to visit Europe should really plan a few hours at MSM too

Greetings.  Yes, I find MSM PRIRs have more front to back on the sound stage than AIX, which is more spread out and "flat."  But I have a new problem.  Now when I try to copy a PRIR from dropbox I get a menu that does not have paste as an option.  I open my SD card and get a menu with eject, arrange, etc.  But no "paste."  Any thoughts?

Jun 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #58 of 404
Quote:
Greetings.  Yes, I find MSM PRIRs have more front to back on the sound stage than AIX, which is more spread out and "flat."  But I have a new problem.  Now when I try to copy a PRIR from dropbox I get a menu that does not have paste as an option.  I open my SD card and get a menu with eject, arrange, etc.  But no "paste."  Any thoughts?

Hmm I just tried your method but didnt have any issues..

When I copied mine I just copied all the dropbox folders to my local harddisk (to a different spot than dropbox stores the local folders as I liked having a backup) on my pc and from there selected files and right mouse button dragged them onto the SD card and selected copy

By the way, between the later PRIRS i uploaded are also WDR ones this is another german studio (focused mainly on german television as far as i know). Didnt like them as much as the msm ones but still worth checking out I think :)

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #60 of 404
Does anyone know what the SPV 51 PRIR is, where it was made and the equipment?  It was done by cr in 2010 and I can't find the source.  It is one of the best for me, an expansive hall with good acoustics, I would say, and terrific speakers.

This plus some of the MSMs are actually better than anything I made myself, including AIX 5.1.  The only competition is for two channel, PEAK consult El Diablo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back