Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
May 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #31 of 404
Quote:
I pretty much tried all the PRIRs now and I have to say that nothing comes close to my own personal PRIR. I didn't have the chance to go to a studio yet, so for now I could only record my own small home cinema setup. But still, I think it sounds way better and more real than all the other PRIRs. Sometimes the sound is so weird that I feel like some frequencies come from inside my head and some from the outside, totally weird. Bottom line is, a personal PRIR is what makes this system work.

EDIT: I didn't want to sound too negative, thanks for sharing the PRIRs guys! :)

What he said ^^^

May 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #32 of 404
I just imagine, if everyone  provides a data description list of all shared PRIR, eg, which one is more suitable, which one is less, which one has bad tone, and which one has less front image or totally werid, then I think we can have a entire portfolio that may reflects whose ear is similar to whose, whose ear is far from the everage, I think data from any where in the world obey the rule of normal distribtional curve, if two person's ear in the same tail of the curve, they may have similar experience, if the two in the opposite tail of the curve, they may have totally different experience, I have tried around 20 person's PRIR in MSM studio, I found that 7-10 people's PRIR are quite similar, the tones are similar, 2-3 person's tone are more dark, and 2-3 are more bright, 2-3 PRIR are very good to me, 7-10 are in everage and  2-3 are totally unusable.

I guess my ear may just in the middle in the normal distributional curve, and the PRIR of MSM provided are almost in the middle in the distributional curve, Captain Funk's ear may far from the everage ( that's what I guess:-0 ) so he felt that most of PRIRs are not usable,

Therefore I guess if everyone knows what distributional curve position of his ear in, for example if he knows his ear is in the middle of the curve, he may happy to gather different PRIR because he will find more PRIR suitable for him, if he knows his ear is far from the middle, maybe it is a bad luck, he should do more personalised PRIR because he will find few non-personal PRIR suitable for him :)

May 25, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #33 of 404
Quote:
I just imagine, if everyone  provides a data description list of all shared PRIR, eg, which one is more suitable, which one is less, which one has bad tone, and which one has less front image or totally werid, then I think we can have a entire portfolio that may reflects whose ear is similar to whose, whose ear is far from the everage, I think data from any where in the world obey the rule of normal distribtional curve, if two person's ear in the same tail of the curve, they may have similar experience, if the two in the opposite tail of the curve, they may have totally different experience, I have tried around 20 person's PRIR in MSM studio, I found that 7-10 people's PRIR are quite similar, the tones are similar, 2-3 person's tone are more dark, and 2-3 are more bright, 2-3 PRIR are very good to me, 7-10 are in everage and  2-3 are totally unusable.

I guess my ear may just in the middle in the normal distributional curve, and the PRIR of MSM provided are almost in the middle in the distributional curve, Captain Funk's ear may far from the everage ( that's what I guess:-0 ) so he felt that most of PRIRs are not usable,

Therefore I guess if everyone knows what distributional curve position of his ear in, for example if he knows his ear is in the middle of the curve, he may happy to gather different PRIR because he will find more PRIR suitable for him, if he knows his ear is far from the middle, maybe it is a bad luck, he should do more personalised PRIR because he will find few non-personal PRIR suitable for him :)

This seems like much more effort than just going and finding a suitable system to calibrate. Hate to say it, but no use cutting corners here, find a way to calibrate a proper system or save a few bucks and buy the Beyer Headzone Pro. This has been said over and over again.
deadhorse.gif

May 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #34 of 404
Quote:

This seems like much more effort than just going and finding a suitable system to calibrate. Hate to say it, but no use cutting corners here, find a way to calibrate a proper system or save a few bucks and buy the Beyer Headzone Pro. This has been said over and over again.
deadhorse.gif

So collecting prirs to find one you like seems like alot of effort but travelling 800 or more miles and spend like thousands of euros on a 2 or 3 day trip and calibration in a studio is not ?

Seriously I dont get why some of the guys in here just talk down on the people that are happy with the results some prirs are giving. And yeah I agree with Jiang, maybe some of you guys are just unlucky and have a weird head :p . Trust me you dont want a headzone, some people who have the headzone say its barely any better than an Astro Mixamp, I have a mixamp and its nowhere as good as the Realiser with a bank of prirs (at least NOT for ME). And yeah, when time and money allows it I might go look for a studio to calibrate the Realiser. But as long as im happy im not really in a rush to do so.

Also the realiser is not some magic machine, most (if not all) that it measures you can adjust again by hand later and are pretty basic settings, not some kind of magic, just normal life settings such as position of speakers, EQ etc. you can adjust pretty much everything again with some basic settings on the realiser and settings on a surround receiver and so on. For people with patience and willing to experiment im sure they can come a very long way (personally I love to tweak all my settings and have lots of fun doing it).

Could I save myself the time (and fun) and get a good result in 30 minutes If i went to a studio? Probably.. However, more roads lead to rome, and with all the tweak options available on the realiser and my surround receiver I think I found a few walkarounds to Rome
tongue.gif

Edit -

The astro mixamp that I got like 2 months ago is back in the box and somewhere in my closet between other spare computer parts. I got a 10m toslink cable so I was able to hook up my pc as well all across the room, The Realiser is simply that good it made my astro set suck. Also rumours say the headzone will be discontinued soon. Im not sure about the pro and XT models but Beyer had alot of bad feedback about their headzone units. All the true beyer fans say the headzone was a joke and did not represent beyer's quality products

May 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #36 of 404
[size=9pt]Yes, Hoax has extactly presented what I thought:) [/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]Until now I have found 4-5 PRIRs that yield very very good results, I have compared to my own, they are much better than my own personalized settings, two front speakers are clearly in front of me at +-30 degree, very clear image and proper distance/, I rank them 95%, I don't understand why we need to travel few thousands miles and spend few thousands just to gain 5% more in order to get full benefit. [/size]
[size=9pt] [/size]
[size=9pt]Indeed, the fundermantal purpose of the realiser is to get emulated in any rooms and "copy" the environment, I am sure that everyone here won't forget this basic function, if this is the case, why not everyone just treat non-personal PRIR as a value added function? Because for some person, like me or Hoax, we may enjoy  other's PRIR because we want to see different rooms and different high end speakers, it is nice to hear them and get ourselves in that environment, I am  neither in Europe nor US, perhaps I have never had chance to approach these high end studio, non-personal PRIRs offer me opportunities to get in other's envrionment, very fantastic experience! I strongly agree Hoax idea  of PRIR sharing and I hope that more PRIR will be added for those who want to try.[/size]

May 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #37 of 404
Any else had trouble with PRIR files being read by the Realiser?  I get error messages on some of them.  On a few, I removed the narrative names so that the files are in strict Realiser format.  Still getting errors.

Regarding the issue of why experiment with other people's PRIRs, it takes very little effort and time to transfer a PRIR file and try it out.  Personally, I have been quite surprised at how good a few of the ones I have listened to are.  And I have AIX and PEAK personally calibrated.  So far, I think that "Istvan 7" from MSM studios sounds better than my personalized files do.  The AIX 5.1 personalization is a bit more focussed in terms of sound stage, with instruments a bit more localized, however, the image lacks some of the depth and liveness of the MSM.

So I hope people keep doing this.  And if anyone has any ideas about the file errors, I'd love to get your suggestions.

May 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #38 of 404
I just uploaded some more prirs, some from MSM and some from unknown sources (description said stage).

And yeah I had some problems too with the files, These errors already started when i was just copying them to the SD card.
As I mentioned on previous page alot of prirs didnt even show up in the realiser, not sure if these were the ones I renamed or ones that gave errors already during copying
Will have a looksie next time when I try this again

May 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #39 of 404
trying out all these prirs is fun.  It's like searching for that magic tweet that will get you closer to audio nirvana.  And if the prir doesn't work, you keep trying others.  Besides the music itself, the attempt to get better sound is part of the joy (or curse, if you will) of this hobby.  

The next prir could be the one.  (It's like gambling in Vegas using house money.)

By the way, several of the MSM prirs, especially the one done for Fommisa (?--I don't have the realiser on)  work pretty well for me.

May 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #41 of 404
Quote:
Interesting thread.  I am on fence regarding the realiser.  Curious what headphones and amplifiers are being used?  

The Realiser comes with very good entry level STAX headphones.  Many on here are upgrading to STAX 007 or 009.

For me, I just run my Oppo 95 source material directly via HDMI into the unit.  Then the amp associated with the STAX does the amplification.  I hope to upgrade the headphone amp at some point.  

May 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #42 of 404
You can get it for cheaper if you dont want the Stax headphones, Personally Im using a Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO - And I got an Audeze LCD-2 coming in a few days,

But you can get very good results even with cheaper headphones, The realiser can make a calibration of any headphone you use, It will adjust the EQ settings on the realiser so your headphones will give a better overall result. Oh yeah Stax do need special AMPS but the Realiser has a very decent amp already, I havent tried it with the LCD-2 yet as i dont got them yet but for my Beyer It doesnt need any amp

May 26, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #43 of 404
Quote:
The Realiser comes with very good entry level STAX headphones.  Many on here are upgrading to STAX 007 or 009.

For me, I just run my Oppo 95 source material directly via HDMI into the unit.  Then the amp associated with the STAX does the amplification.  I hope to upgrade the headphone amp at some point.  

The Stax is roughly an $850 upgrade option.  I did audition the unit over at Glen Poor's in Champaign, IL, who are an authorized retailer for them.  Lorr Kramer was actually in Champaign for an event back in early May.  I took my HE500s over along with my SR71B and Lorr made a PIRR to Glen Poor's two channel using Estoeric Audio 3 piece master stack, Wilson Audio Sashas, with the preamp and amplifier being BAT Rex series.  I was quite amazed how the headphones compared to the $$$$$$ system.  

May 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #44 of 404
Quote:
You can get it for cheaper if you dont want the Stax headphones, Personally Im using a Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO - And I got an Audeze LCD-2 coming in a few days,

But you can get very good results even with cheaper headphones, The realiser can make a calibration of any headphone you use, It will adjust the EQ settings on the realiser so your headphones will give a better overall result. Oh yeah Stax do need special AMPS but the Realiser has a very decent amp already, I havent tried it with the LCD-2 yet as i dont got them yet but for my Beyer It doesnt need any amp

Another head-fier was at the meet and he had his LCD2 with him and the Burson Audio Amplifier.  I think he had his PIRR done in their state of the art theater room.  I believe he thought it came out great as well.

May 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #45 of 404
Hmm I been using the LCD-2 for the last few days and it totally seem to have changed the sound (and I did do the HPEQ again). The sound itself is great but im suddenly not so sure anymore if the PRIRS i liked before would still be the best PRIRS for me at the moment. It doesnt need an amp to work however im very curious if it would improve things.. For example I just read in a different thread that the LCD's need an amp to get a better soundstage as its not at its best without. So im wondering how well does the realiser actually do as an amp or would I still be better off getting one? How many of you are using amps on the realiser and think it was needed to improve things?

Edit -

If any of you are using amps let me know which one please.. I think the amp would need hdmi/toslink inputs? I looked at the burson audio amp Audio Addict was mentioning but im not sure you can connect that one to the realiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back