Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #15,946 of 15,987
I have never used a Surround Master but it looks like a classic analog stereo matrix decoder which extends from stereo to quad and up to 5.1. Given that it now costs $695, you might get better value from the Auro 3D upmixer which provides a fully digital surround mix with dedicated processing to 13.1 speakers.

Similar to your suggestion, I previously thought about reusing my old Meridian kit and passing 5.1 Trifield to the Smyth analogue inputs, but installing Auro 3D has elevated the listening experience with both movies and my stereo listening, and completely removed the need for anything else. It even improves mono jazz and classical, which the Meridian couldn’t process.
I do have Auro3D already. The one additional advantage to the SM is that, if I read correctly, it can decode SQ-encoded material (found on some vintage quad recordings). I’m not sure whether Auro3D can do that, but I need to read further. I don’t believe there is a good software SQ decoder currently; folks used to use part of the Adobe suite (Adobe Audition) but they have since disabled/removed the SQ decoder. I do realize that I can use a 4.0 Auro3D listening room, but unless SQ decoding is happening I would hear Auromatic’s interpretation of what a quad render should be, rather than what was intended in the original mix.

I have also heard SM quad-converted audio from old Q8 tapes and they sound great (for example, the really poor quad mixes on the various Cat Stevens albums really sound great out of the SM). I need to try one of these via Auro3D.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #15,947 of 15,987
I do have Auro3D already. The one additional advantage to the SM is that, if I read correctly, it can decode SQ-encoded material (found on some vintage quad recordings). I’m not sure whether Auro3D can do that, but I need to read further. I don’t believe there is a good software SQ decoder currently; folks used to use part of the Adobe suite (Adobe Audition) but they have since disabled/removed the SQ decoder.

I have also heard SM quad-converted audio from old Q8 tapes and they sound great (for example, the really poor quad mixes on the various Cat Stevens albums really sound great out of the SM). I need to try one of these via Auro3D.
That's an interesting question. Virtually all my music is stereo, although I have already decoded and saved my old quad albums (which were previously reissued in DTS) as FLAC 4.0 - and Auro 3D up-mixes these reasonably well - better than the unprocessed quad originals, anyway. Most of my traditional hi-fi gear seems to make bad recordings sound worse, but I have found that Auro 3D can actually improve the experience, or at least make a bad recording more acceptable.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #15,948 of 15,987
That's an interesting question. Virtually all my music is stereo, although I have already decoded and saved my old quad albums (which were previously reissued in DTS) as FLAC 4.0 - and Auro 3D up-mixes these reasonably well - better than the unprocessed quad originals, anyway. Most of my traditional hi-fi gear seems to make bad recordings sound worse, but I have found that Auro 3D can actually improve the experience, or at least make a bad recording more acceptable.
Just curious, did you have a mix of album types (SQ, QS, CD-4) and if so which sounded better? Q4 and Q8, assuming good mixes, always sound great to me other than tape hiss. There are some KBFH SQ broadcasts from FM in the wild that are very interesting (I particularly love a live Faces broadcast that I found).

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #15,949 of 15,987
Just curious, did you have a mix of album types (SQ, QS, CD-4) and if so which sounded better? Q4 and Q8, assuming good mixes, always sounded great to me other than tape hiss. There are some KBFH SQ broadcasts from FM in the wild that are very interesting (I particularly love a live Faces broadcast that I found).
You are much more expert in this area than me - I hadn't realised that there were so many quad album types. I just checked, and my few ripped classical albums were originally SQ (4.0), and sound fairly good, at least to my ageing ears. But to be honest, for classical music, I find that well recorded stereo albums (especially Mercury, Decca and RCA from the 1960s and 70s) are equally satisfying, given that most classical quad and SACD mixes used the rear channels for recorded ambience rather than anything special.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #15,950 of 15,987
You are much more expert in this area than me - I hadn't realised that there were so many quad album types. I just checked, and my few ripped classical albums were originally SQ (4.0), and sound fairly good, at least to my ageing ears. But to be honest, for classical music, I find that well recorded stereo albums (especially Mercury, Decca and RCA from the 1960s and 70s) are equally satisfying, given that most classical quad and SACD mixes used the rear channels for recorded ambience rather than anything special.
The E. Power Biggs “Bach: The Four Great Toccatas & Fugues” quad SACD recorded in the German church with an organ in each of the corners and the four manuals at the center is not to be missed.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #15,951 of 15,987
The E. Power Biggs “Bach: The Four Great Toccatas & Fugues” quad SACD recorded in the German church with an organ in each of the corners and the four manuals at the center is not to be missed.
I recently managed to get hold of this SACD but hadn't made time to listen before - thanks for the reminder. Great playing and really impressive sound, especially for 1974.

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #15,952 of 15,987
I recently managed to get hold of this SACD but hadn't made time to listen before - thanks for the reminder. Great playing and really impressive sound, especially for 1974.
This one, as you know, is out of print and selling for serious money on the used market (74 USD on Amazon and 127 USD on discogs). I envy you guys.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #15,953 of 15,987
I hadn’t realised the current price was so expensive. A Qobuz subscription may be rather better value for money, at least for those people using Roon with classical music. If you search for “Edition 5.1” there are almost 40 classical albums available with 5.1 channels, including leading artists like Jordi Savall and Rene Jacobs. I use the Auro3D upmixer for the stereo streams but some of the 5.1 mixes are exceptional. Recommended.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #15,954 of 15,987
This one, as you know, is out of print and selling for serious money on the used market (74 USD on Amazon and 127 USD on discogs). I envy you guys.
It’s funny how much the market fluctuates. I managed to find it about 6 months ago for about $30. It’s always worth cycling through places like Amazon as sometimes there will be a Goodwill or other thrift store selling things at a bargain. I’d hate to tell you how little I paid for the Sergeant Pepper’s big box set on a lucky Amazon search.

Patience in all things, I guess.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #15,957 of 15,987
@mei09891, to explain further:
When using eARC, enhanced Audio Return Channel, the audio goes through the HDMI cable in the opposite direction, so from an HDMI input to an HDMI output. The trick is that this way the same cable can be used that is normally used in the traditional way (to pass on video to the TV from a source connected to the A16).

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #15,958 of 15,987
Connect the A16's OUTPUT port to the TV eARC port.

@mei09891, to explain further:
When using eARC, enhanced Audio Return Channel, the audio goes through the HDMI cable in the opposite direction, so from an HDMI input to an HDMI output. The trick is that this way the same cable can be used that is normally used in the traditional way (to pass on video to the TV from a source connected to the A16).
Thanks, it works!

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #15,959 of 15,987
I added a music streamer to my system and connected its optical output the A16. It works fine at sampling rates of 44KHz and 48KHz. Once I stream at 96KHz, 176KHz or 192KHz, the audio from the A16 keeps cutting in and out and is unusable. I tried other sources, cables, as well as the coaxial input with the same results. All points to the A16 optical and coaxial inputs being capped at 48KHz despite being advertised as being capable of receiving up to 192KHz and down-sampling it internally to, I believe, 48KHz. Has anyone else experienced this? I just want to confirm it's not a defect with my unit, or a known bug. The problem is that I have no control on the streamer maximum output sampling frequency, so this pretty much renders the streamer useless to use with the A16. I appreciate any comments from A16 users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back