Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #15,916 of 15,986
Maximum channels from my Mac using HDMI is 7.1. I get 5.1 from Netflix etc. Not sure if you can get more using USB. I upmix everything using Auro 3D - works well for music, TV and movies. My main use case is streaming stereo rock, jazz and classical music - the quality of sound using Auro upmixing and John’s Omega speaket PRIR is outstanding.
May I ask how you get Auro-3D work? The button just doesn't response.
IMG_4255.jpeg

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #15,918 of 15,986
In MIDI setting there are 7.1/5.1.2 etc. option, but this is the limit. There is no 24Ch support in MIDI setting, then how can I utilize the 24Ch function if I am going to connect with MacBook? Or should I connect to Apple TV, PS5, or dedicated UHD player? But I am planning to listen to Streaming music through macOS, sometimes watching TV series or movies... Can I upmix the audio source to all the 24Ch? The factory test is totally normal, every speakers right on the spot. So probably the macOS' issue I guess.
Correct, the Atmos renderer in MacOS has those limits. I don’t know if there is any way to do pass-thru and if not you are limited to those options.

Yes an Apple TV, PS5 (though I have only done gaming), or a UHD player will bitstream Atmos to the A16 and you can choose your virtual layout up to 24 channels.

Auro3D is an add-on you have to buy, or at least I had to buy it (my A16 was purchased June 2023). There are Auro3D related items in the menus without that add-on. You can send e-mail to James at Smyth and he’ll give you the details. You have to send a file from your A16 and a payment, and they send you back an enabling file via email.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #15,919 of 15,986
Correct, the Atmos renderer in MacOS has those limits. I don’t know if there is any way to do pass-thru and if not you are limited to those options.

Yes an Apple TV, PS5 (though I have only done gaming), or a UHD player will bitstream Atmos to the A16 and you can choose your virtual layout up to 24 channels.

Auro3D is an add-on you have to buy, or at least I had to buy it (my A16 was purchased June 2023). There are Auro3D related items in the menus without that add-on. You can send e-mail to James at Smyth and he’ll give you the details. You have to send a file from your A16 and a payment, and they send you back an enabling file via email.
Also is yours a brand new A16? If so check to make sure it is running the 2.17 firmware instead of 2.15. Otherwise PRIR and HPEQ measurements will have disappointing results.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #15,921 of 15,986
If you are at 2.14 you have older hardware and don’t need to update AFAIK for HPEQ/PRIRs . The new APM and ARM motherboard required 2.15. I will defer to others about staying or not at 2.14.

The DTS and Auro3D enables survived my 2.15 -> 2.17 so at least for that upgrade I did not have to reinstall them (my unit came with DTS so I don’t even have the file I would need to reinstall DTS).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #15,922 of 15,986
If I update the firmware do I need to reinstall auro and dts? My realiser is at 2.14, thanks
If you go to Settings/Updates-About and then scroll down one screen you can see in pink what APM decoder licenses (for lack of a better term) have been installed. You need dts:X for Auro3D.
IMG_1848.jpeg

Mar 21, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #15,923 of 15,986
If you go to Settings/Updates-About and then scroll down one screen you can see in pink what APM decoder licenses (for lack of a better term) have been installed. You need dts:X for Auro3D.
IMG_1848.jpeg
These are mine, I’m asking because I’m thinking on updating and do a factory restore since I’m having troubles measuring in async mode

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpeg
    IMG_1729.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1728.jpeg
    IMG_1728.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #15,924 of 15,986
You can try just a factory reset, rather than a restore. Maybe try the mild level first, then the full reset (that rebuilds the factory rooms) if that doesn’t do the trick. Then a firmware update if the prior two fail (which will need the mild reset afterwards).

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #15,925 of 15,986
What I find helps is... trying to swap the different Handshake means for extended use periods, [it shook the software out of asimilar bad energy for me], by using a firestick and thundbolt, or phone usb-c in addition to just Hdmi In - hdmi Out. I've seen trouble with acquiring the input feed, even a weird problem where only mono audio would work from an HDMI Out-&-In. Plugging in the firestick and running for 30 minutes reset the HDCP acquisition, or whatever handshaking means of the initiation sequence the Unit had lots of trouble trouble with for a week. My unit did drop out of 24 channel mode, but the swapping for extended periods of these different Source Inputs fixed the "software-ghost." All is well as of 4 days ago.. This is the past 3 weeks or so...

🫡 the trying to make captures.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #15,926 of 15,986
What I find helps is... trying to swap the different Handshake codes, by using a firestick and thundbolt, or phone usb-c in addition to just Hdmi hdmi. I've seen trouble with acquiring the input feed, even a weird problem where only mono audio would work from an HDMI Out-In. Plugging in the firestick and running for 30 minutes reset the HDCP acquisition, or whatever handshaking means of the initiation sequence the Unit had trouble with.

Saluting the trying to make captures.
Thank you so much, I will make several attempts with different sources, I do my first prir with sync but only 5.1 until now I cannot get the correct sound, I salute you !

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #15,927 of 15,986
It took me a few weeks to realize that this could reset the software somehow and jog the machine functional memory back to life. The firestick issued a troubled screen but fixed itself after 30 ish minutes of playback. 24channel mode worked after switching back to hdmi - hdmi cable, and the full array of source-input options decided seemingly on its own to work again after the firestick 4k Tidal atmos use for 30 minutes. That was the exact fix for me four days ago

Up until then 24 channel mode could not be engaged. And auro worked but only in mono-mode from the 2021 laptop hdmi out... after the firestick fix, the thunderbolt 4 and cell phone could finally feed the realiser again..!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #15,928 of 15,986
You should also be able to get bitstream Atmos from a properly configured Windows machine. However I'm not sure if Apple Music on Windows works with that. You may need a different content source. The absolutely best quality you'll get from Blu-ray Audio but you'll need a dedicated Blu-ray player (NOT a computer Blu-ray drive) for that. Look at places like https://ianrecords.com/, https://pureaudiorecordings.com/en/, https://www.thesdeshop.com/.

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #15,929 of 15,986
Theater/cinema captures being checked... Quick 30 second Google Video Link and new but bad photos. These will be released for Atmos and Auro 3d eventually. This is an unfortunately bad camera ultrawide lense, and better photos to come
Photos are max size supported. Clicking required!

Google Video Link with photos in the Jump. Not at a computer right now, so cannot Hyperlink. The video is good, you can see the theater focal point from 14 speakers, plus angling from the others, for directionality establishment at the sweet chair!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QyPS9wfNZD__oC602IHOoE1xqgZceXu9

Attachments

• Rear Right View.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen . Front Theater View 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 12 Ribbon Tweeter 8 Dynamic Driver Speaker OH.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Lh Rh Lhr Rhr-1.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Satellite 4 Ribbon x 4 Dynamic Driver Surround-2.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Holistic Rear Left View.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.12 Ribbon Tweeter 8 Dynamic Driver Speaker OH.2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #15,930 of 15,986
May I ask how you get Auro-3D work? The button just doesn't response.
Auro works In entering Pcm management, it is in the posted photo, and then changing the selected setting from "Direct" to "Auromatic."

Try the "auro PRE" options. Movie is the best for me, for music as well as 2.0 or 5.1 upconversion to 13.1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back