Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 30, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #15,571 of 15,987
Data points: HD820 does pretty well with an autoeq HPEQ but terrible with my MANLOUD. By comparison, I prefer the MANLOUD I did on my HD800 autoeq HPEQ. The LCD-5 seems to clip on heavy bass e.g. the movie “Greyhound” on Apple TV. All in all, I prefer the HD800 slightly over the HD820 while my LCD5 because of the bass clipping is not one for the A16.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #15,572 of 15,987
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #15,573 of 15,987
After making hundreds of PRIRs... Like @sander99 I would recommend the chair spinning method.

But I'd like to make a small correction to what was mentioned. While it is true that the A16 does not properly record / save a single channel PRIR. I have not run into any issues using the single speaker method when recording / saving two channels or more... that being said, it is quite possible and sometimes highly recommended for a single speaker set up to create a multi-channel PRIR... But there are some things to consider. Like most things A16.. The single speaker method can be very time-consuming, tedious and prone to error... Especially if head tracking is included in the PRIR. One accidental double press of the back button on the remote.. will delete one or all channels previously captured. And you should always expect an unforced error to do the same.

Glad to answer any additional questions you might have about the single speaker method.
I have done the chair spinning method more than once. It yields good results, but expect you will make a mistake. Best, I think, to take two separate days doing it and capture the base level on day one, and the heights on day two. Good if you have a helper as well. And always, always, always use the grounding strap for the in ear mics. You don't want to blow them out.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #15,575 of 15,987
The best A16 advice ever.
I don’t know about other folk’s A16s, but mine came with a power brick that has only a two-conductor power cord to connect to house AC. I haven’t checked whether the ground of the DC connection from that power brick is floating or tied to the AC neutral. Your neutral will be close to earth ground but will vary with other current being drawn on the same set of circuits.

I would be far more comfortable if my A16 were tied to earth ground. I don’t recommend doing this unless you measure the potential between the chassis and earth ground first, however.

The grounding strap protects your mics in the case where there is otherwise a potential between your body and the A16 chassis, and during the time that you haven’t yet plugged them in to the A16 (this is the most dangerous time since it’s easy to touch the plug conductors, much harder to touch any conductor on the mics themselves). So put on the grounding strap before touching the mics.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #15,576 of 15,987
Happy New Year my friends...

Just thought I'd share and suggest a film I watched last night... "65"

The movie is not horrible... But not that great either. But on the other hand... The Atmos audio is exceptional. All channels are active, and with purpose. It was a delight to listen to. Lots of detail and ambience... Especially in the rears and overheads. Among the best I've heard this year.

Give it a go.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #15,578 of 15,987
Good luck and all the best for the New Year 2024!
Sorcova.jpg

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #15,579 of 15,987
Happy New Year to all! May 2024 be the year of fulfilled commitments!

Jan 1, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #15,581 of 15,987
Starting from @Litlgi74 's previous post about the “65” movie, I imagined an alternative version: 65 million years ago, prehistoric Earth had a visitor who might’ve brought a Realiser A16 prototype. Just a call for humour.:)

It is rumored that the first pre-orders have been waiting since then.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #15,584 of 15,987
Anyone have any luck getting the coax or optical input to work on the A16..neither works for me and it looks like looking at the thread there at least have been some attempts to get it to work but no success.
Certainly works as an output. I use it everyday to feed my Octo Dac 8 Pro. When I first had the A16 I used it as an input for a Chromecast audio, so yes it worked. Don't remember the settings, however. The one I'm having trouble getting to work is the USB input. Unfortunately I run Windows 11 now, and I can't get their Windows driver to install on my machine.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #15,585 of 15,987
Certainly works as an output. I use it everyday to feed my Octo Dac 8 Pro. When I first had the A16 I used it as an input for a Chromecast audio, so yes it worked. Don't remember the settings, however. The one I'm having trouble getting to work is the USB input. Unfortunately I run Windows 11 now, and I can't get their Windows driver to install on my machine.
You probably mean the DAC 8 stereo because the pro only has USB and AES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back