Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #15,556 of 15,987
#mylife #whocares
I'm back home for the holidays after being away since September. Coming back to the A16 after all this time of crappy laptop tweeters, IEMs sans DSP, and low fi car radio, I'm falling in love all over again.
What will you listen to first?

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #15,558 of 15,987
And on a related subject...

The A16 of pianos: Steinway "Spirio | r" player piano - the world’s finest high resolution player piano capable of live performance capture and playback. The technology also includes "edit" capability.

And instead of a roll of punched paper as the driver, it's naturally digitally driven. And you acquire a library of performances... (both audio and video) from Steinway's library of artists and recordings, held on the included iPad which is the user interface mechanism.

Here's a really stunning demonstration: Lang Lang plays Liszt's Liebestraum No. 3 on Steinway & Sons Spirio | r.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #15,559 of 15,987
Stunning indeed. Bosendorfer have an equivalent player piano that was used to redigitise Rachmaninov’s own playing from early piano rolls. Issued as a CD on Telarc in 1998 (A Window in Time) https://concord.com/concord-albums/a-window-in-time-rachmaninoff-performs-his-solo-piano-works/

The Yamaha disklavier is also similar to the Steinway, and was recently used to digitise Gershwin’s own playing from the 1930s and issued on Nonesuch. Both CDs are available on popular streaming services and strongly recommended.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #15,560 of 15,987
Stunning indeed. Bosendorfer have an equivalent player piano that was used to redigitise Rachmaninov’s own playing from early piano rolls. Issued as a CD on Telarc in 1998 (A Window in Time) https://concord.com/concord-albums/a-window-in-time-rachmaninoff-performs-his-solo-piano-works/

The Yamaha disklavier is also similar to the Steinway, and was recently used to digitise Gershwin’s own playing from the 1930s and issued on Nonesuch. Both CDs are available on popular streaming services and strongly recommended.
A sample from A Window In Time – Rachmaninoff performs his solo piano works as a gift from Santa Claus. Wishing you all Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year 2024!

The Flight of the Bumblebee
Cover2.jpg

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #15,562 of 15,987
A sample from A Window In Time – Rachmaninoff performs his solo piano works as a gift from Santa Claus. Wishing you all Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year 2024!
Truly astonishing, the physical mechanics of getting his fingers to do that.

But somehow duplicating that finger motion (with all of its motion-describing parameters) with equivalent physical mechanisms required FOR EACH AND EVERY KEY ON THE KEYBOARD to drive the piano's physical parts equally rapidly... boggles the mind how that can be possible. The digital software is certainly not challenged. But to get the primary mechanical pusher/puller-like parts to relay the required motion to a target mechanical part at the requested speed... boggles the mind.

Wonderful demonstration.

Here's a super interesting article written about the Bosendorfer, written by an owner!

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #15,565 of 15,987
At the French forum homecinema-fr.com, one user wrote a post about a next little update for Realiser A16 following an email from Gilles Gerin. I’ve also received an e-mail message about the upcoming (imminent?) update that seems to address issues related to HDMI and Auro-3D. If you know a bit more information, please write here.

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #15,566 of 15,987
Been a long time since I've posted here...

I remember it being mentioned a long time ago that it would be possible to take a single speaker measurement and simulating multiple speakers (e.g. Atmos).

Not sure if this speaker simulation would be done via modifying existing speaker measurement or taking a single speaker and moving it around to take separate measurements in person is the question.

Obviously not as ideal as a real full in person measurement.

Either way, I would love to have an equivalent AIX Records Atmos profile made. I just love my old AIX Records 7.1 PRIR so much.

Dec 29, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #15,567 of 15,987
via modifying existing speaker measurement
No.
taking a single speaker and moving it around to take separate measurements in person
Yes, or instead of moving the speaker move yourself relative to the speaker.

One important remark regarding literally using one single speaker:
Don't try to make a PRIR containing one single virtual speaker, the A16 doesn't react well to that. In fact I suspect any odd number of speakers in one PRIR will be problematic.
It is possible to measure a PRIR with 2 virtual speakers (or 4, etc.) using a single speaker. But it is easier to use one stereo pair of speakers.
(You can make one PRIR with 16 speakers, or for example 8 PRIRs with 2 speakers each, in a listening room you can select speakers from different PRIR to assemble a complete 16 - or 24 - channel speaker layout, or you can combine several PRIRs into one PRIR later.)

This is one recepe for making one 16 channel PRIR using one stereo pair of speakers:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-529#post-15433317

Dec 29, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #15,568 of 15,987
Been a long time since I've posted here...

I remember it being mentioned a long time ago that it would be possible to take a single speaker measurement and simulating multiple speakers (e.g. Atmos).

Not sure if this speaker simulation would be done via modifying existing speaker measurement or taking a single speaker and moving it around to take separate measurements in person is the question.

Obviously not as ideal as a real full in person measurement.

Either way, I would love to have an equivalent AIX Records Atmos profile made. I just love my old AIX Records 7.1 PRIR so much.

After making hundreds of PRIRs... Like @sander99 I would recommend the chair spinning method.

But I'd like to make a small correction to what was mentioned. While it is true that the A16 does not properly record / save a single channel PRIR. I have not run into any issues using the single speaker method when recording / saving two channels or more... that being said, it is quite possible and sometimes highly recommended for a single speaker set up to create a multi-channel PRIR... But there are some things to consider. Like most things A16.. The single speaker method can be very time-consuming, tedious and prone to error... Especially if head tracking is included in the PRIR. One accidental double press of the back button on the remote.. will delete one or all channels previously captured. And you should always expect an unforced error to do the same.

Glad to answer any additional questions you might have about the single speaker method.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #15,569 of 15,987
Guys , did everybody got his Realiser A16 , i did pre-oderd in 2017 and still not received it yet and now we are in 2024 almost
Nope! And no indication or communication that pre-orders will ever be fulfilled.

Dec 30, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #15,570 of 15,987
I’d like to add a short comment in addition to those written in the previous posts addressing the single speaker method, which is also indicated at the YouTube page of the Smyth Research.

Realiser A16 Advanced part 3: Creating multi-speaker PRIRs from one or more loudspeakers

Although it mentions one loudspeaker option, the demonstration video is still with two loudspeakers. I think they should’ve explained more what issues might occur with one speaker compared to two speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back