Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 29, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #15,197 of 16,011
I thought it would be. And the look so good in sapphire. Do you have HD800(s)? The are by far the community favorite.
I used to, but sold them. I'm finding a lot of headphones to work well with the A16. I'm listening to the X9K now with it.

Jul 29, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #15,198 of 16,011
Jul 30, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #15,199 of 16,011
Hi everyone,

For the people who use it for PC gaming. How do you deal with the 30 ms latency? I am very interested in buying it but this is a concern for me and when talking with James he told that me that the development for low latency hasn't started.

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #15,200 of 16,011
Hi everyone,

For the people who use it for PC gaming. How do you deal with the 30 ms latency? I am very interested in buying it but this is a concern for me and when talking with James he told that me that the development for low latency hasn't started.

Thanks!
Just FYI 30ms latency for immersive audio is quite low. In fact it's so low that I'm not sure if it's correct. I have a lower-high end immersive surround processor and the maker says it has 50ms latency.

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #15,201 of 16,011
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I use the A16 for gaming on PS5 and Xbox Series X, I have not noticed the latency at all.

Jul 30, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #15,202 of 16,011
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
A large percentage of my A16 use is for gaming, and a majority of my gaming is done on PC nowadays. The biggest issue with latency on PC I have found is if you're using Atmos (same goes for Xbox). There seems to be something with Microsoft's implementation that adds some noticeable audio latency when using Atmos on their console or their operating system. When using 7.1 surround on PC, Xbox, or PS5 I don't notice any real latency. Basically my suggestion would be if you are playing competitive games do not use Atmos if it is supported, fall back to 5.1 or 7.1 surround. I for one have used my A16 with my PC enough that I don't really think my brain notices any latency. If you have any other questions especially about the A16 and gaming, feel free to ask as I do have quite a bit of experience with it.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #15,203 of 16,011
I used to, but sold them. I'm finding a lot of headphones to work well with the A16. I'm listening to the X9K now with it.
BTW if you happen to have access to try out a pair of the Hifiman HE1000 v2 headphones, I would say to give it a try. They perform well across the entire frequency range as far as I can tell, and they pair well in my system with the A16. Having said that, I still prefer the HD800 (I don't have the HD800s) because the sound stage is superior, plus they are, relatively speaking, like having a featherweight on your head during long listening sessions.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #15,204 of 16,011
FYI - Sony today released a new Beta update for PS5 console today and among other updates Sony is now going to support Dolby Atmos... they sent me an email tonight and in the email they sent a voucher that can be used by 5 accounts, so I used 1 and there are four more available... if you want to have the Beta Software loaded with the added options including Dolby Atmos then the voucher code is GR6B-5K22-68R
After you redeem the voucher code in the Playstation Store go to settings - system -systemsoftware-update there will be a new selection for the Beta Software... load the software
then to turn on Dolby Atmos goto settings - sound - Audio Output - Audio Format to priority and then select Dolby Atmos...

If you use the voucher it would be cool to let us know how your games/media sound on your PS5/A16...

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #15,205 of 16,011
FYI - Sony today released a new Beta update for PS5 console today and among other updates Sony is now going to support Dolby Atmos... they sent me an email tonight and in the email they sent a voucher that can be used by 5 accounts, so I used 1 and there are four more available... if you want to have the Beta Software loaded with the added options including Dolby Atmos then the voucher code is GR6B-5K22-68R
After you redeem the voucher code in the Playstation Store go to settings - system -systemsoftware-update there will be a new selection for the Beta Software... load the software
then to turn on Dolby Atmos goto settings - sound - Audio Output - Audio Format to priority and then select Dolby Atmos...

If you use the voucher it would be cool to let us know how your games/media sound on your PS5/A16...
Looks like Auro-3D missed yet another opportunity. 😢

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #15,207 of 16,011

Would be happy to try, but I think that code is missing 1 character :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back