Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #14,746 of 16,011
Well, sounds like using the analog outs is the way to go then. I probably need some adapter cables to connect to their setup.
The async files are worth there investment cost... and are specifically made for your speaker layout.

From Club-Realiser "For a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 room: room26"

The files are .mp4 and can played from the USB port of most Blu-ray players... But can also be played from laptops (VLC) with HDMI outputs.

I would 100% go async...

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #14,747 of 16,011
Thanks! Well, sounds like using the analog outs is the way to go then. I probably need some adapter cables to connect to their setup.
Oh, I was thinking about the blu ray av receiver path, I don't know what is possible with the Pro Tools setup (and what exactly that is).

[Edit: but async works nicer, that's for sure]

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #14,748 of 16,011
The async files are worth there investment cost... and are specifically made for your speaker layout.

From Club-Realiser "For a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 room: room26"

The files are .mp4 and can played from the USB port of most Blu-ray players... But can also be played from laptops (VLC) with HDMI outputs.

I would 100% go async...

Ah, I didn't know they offer mp4 versions, I thought only WAV. Well, sounds like a good investment then!

Apr 19, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #14,749 of 16,011
Ah, I didn't know they offer mp4 versions, I thought only WAV. Well, sounds like a good investment then!
Definitely... the async files eliminate the need of changing an already calibrated system... If you go analog... You will need lots of cables and most likely need to recalibrate the room for the analog connection... Which will take you all day.

Async files will take around 15 minutes. 😁

Word of advice... If you have the ability... Please capture one sweep of the system with LFE set to 0 and another sweep with LFE set to +10.

You can add LFE +10 in the Realiser... If the LFE +10 of the room is even slightly hot... You PRIR will clip and you will not be pleased.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #14,750 of 16,011
Word of advice... If you have the ability... Please capture one sweep of the system with LFE set to 0 and another sweep with LFE set to +10.
Do you mean to set this in the AV receiver of the system to capture?

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #14,752 of 16,011
The Smyths do have all async rooms in all configurations ready for DAWs for Pro Tools. The question is how you will get these...
If the studio would have an A16 themselves things would be easier... Maybe you can convince them to buy one... :wink:

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #14,753 of 16,011
The Smyths do have all async rooms in all configurations ready for DAWs for Pro Tools. The question is how you will get these...
If the studio would have an A16 themselves things would be easier... Maybe you can convince them to buy one... :wink:
Wouldn't it be simpler to bring his along for the measurement? Then he could just take his A16 home with the PRIR files loaded onto it. :thinking:

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #14,755 of 16,011
Wouldn't it be simpler to bring his along for the measurement? Then he could just take his A16 home with the PRIR files loaded onto it. :thinking:
Of course.
This is not what I meant.

Studios that use the Realiser themselves are already in contact with the Smyths and get the async files for their DAWs (most of them use Pro Tools I think).
So there would be no need to get a Atmos encoded async file and play it via their Bluray player etc.

In any case it would be good to convince them to buy one...

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #14,756 of 16,011
As far as I know, the Smyths don't have all the files (all would probably be more than 400 different sets according to the pdf I have here), but they can generate them as needed. The have made the files for the common configurations (5.1, 7.1, 7.1.4, 9.1.6), but even from those, some of had to be made specifically when Gilles requested them. I'd also recommend that @CaptainFunk should buy a Club Realiser membership or call the Smyths and ask for PCM files with the exact configuration required. Or just invite another Realiser owner who already has the async files to come along.

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #14,758 of 16,011
Thought these settings might be useful to Auro-3D users... Hopefully that's everyone! 😁

I'm curious what settings everyone is using.

I'm usually using the Auro preset "Movie" with Auro strength between 10 - 16

Love, love Auro-3D!

Thanks for this. I am currently upmixing classical music (from Roon) and some “classic” TV using the Medium setting, with strength set to 12. Sounds great, and I am still experimenting with room size etc.

I have a noobie question, though. When I play 2 channel music or TV via HDMI and my Apple TV or Amazon Firestick, the A16 upmixes to all speakers in all my room presets (13.1, 7.1.4, 7.1 etc.). However, when I play the exact same thing through my Mac Mini HDMI outputs, the upmixer doesn’t activate. The A16 just plays 2.0 or 5.1 sources as normal, without upmixing.

UPDATE - actually the A16 behaviour is even more puzzling. Local and streamed 5.1 FLAC = 5.1 on the A16. Streamed and local 2.0 channel FLAC 96/24 = 2.0 on the A16. But local and streamed 2 channel 44/16 FLAC and ALAC is always upmixed, but just to the overhead channels. All other settings are identical as I use an external HDMI switcher.

So in summary - 2 channel 96/24 is never upmixed. 5.1 is never upmixed, either 44/16 or higher resolution. But 44/16 and 48/24 are upmixed to overhead channels only. Any thoughts as to what is going on here?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #14,759 of 16,011
What firmware are you using?

Are you certain that Auro-3D is actually enabled?

What Listening Mode are you using? Automatic, only Atmos etc?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #14,760 of 16,011
Auro 3D is enabled and turned "on" as far as I can see. See screenshots below. The second screenshot shows just the two front speakers activating for a 2.0 96/24 Qobuz stream via Roon. The same source with 44/16 streams activates all the overhead surround speakers but none of the others. Playing the same piece of music from the same source through an Apple TV activates all 13 speakers (but of course it gets downsampled to 48/16).

As far as I know, Auro 3D is automatically applied to all sources, so my question was really to try to understand whether the expected behaviour for a Mac sending 2.0 or 5.1 music to the A16 would be different to an Apple TV (which typically normalises all sources to 48/16 and sends music to the A16 as a PCM 2.0 stream). In principle, I would expect every source to be upscaled in a similar way, but apparently this isn't the case.

Not a major issue but it would be nice to understand enough to optimise the sound for each source. All advice appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back