Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 2, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #14,731 of 15,988
I could never SSH into the Red, but I plugged my A16 into my other Linux box. This is what lsusb says:
(Notably, the device class is listed as "255 Vendor Specific Class").

-- Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0a4a:5a16 Ploytec GmbH REALISER-A16
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bDeviceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bDeviceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0a4a Ploytec GmbH

[...]
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
[...]
That's kind of what I seemed to remember. This may be fixable with an updated firmware, similar to what Yellowtec did for the PUC2 according to this thread, otherwise, the realiser probably functions similarly to some other devices, and "only" needs to be recognized and initialized properly.

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #14,732 of 15,988
Thought these settings might be useful to Auro-3D users... Hopefully that's everyone! 😁

Screenshot_20230403_003150_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230403_003218_Chrome.jpg

I'm curious what settings everyone is using.

I'm usually using the Auro preset "Movie" with Auro strength between 10 - 16

Love, love Auro-3D!

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #14,734 of 15,988
When using digital out of the A16, what's the ideal output volume on the A16 's dial?
Not a simple answer.

Your question suggests that you're sending optical digital output from A16 to an external DAC and then analog from DAC to your headphones (or to amp/headphones). So depending on whether or not you have one or two additional volume controls to contend with you probably want to come up with whatever is the "best sounding" combination of the multiple volume controls. You certainly want a "moderate" output volume from each device, to avoid overloading the next input with the output from the current device that is set too high, so that there is no clipping or distortion anywhere in the system.

Also, the default maximum headphone output volume of the A16 is 79. This can be changed, but really you will find for your own situation whether or not this needs changing depending on what else you adjust in the downstream volume controls. Also, the digital audio levels of each source that you feed into the A16 will also be a factor in deciding how the various volume controls should be "by default".

==> A good idea for maximum simplicity and user convencience is to adjust all the multiple downstream volume controls to wherever they should be set so that all together they do NOT have to be further adjusted at any time. You will be using the volume control on the A16 remote to be the one-and-only volume control you ever have to touch. That means you probably want to be prepared to have the A16 volume control somewhere between 65 and 79 in order to provide (a) extra volume headroom when a source is unusually low, or (b) a way to reduce volume when a source is unusually high. My own experience is that my A16 volume range is somewhere between 65 and 75 (and thus does not need the max HP volume to be changed from the default of 79), given how I've set the additional downstream volume controls in my configuration.

So again, there's really no "right answer" here. In my own case I send the optical digital output of the A16 to my external Audio-GD NFB9 DAC which has its own volume control. And the analog output of the DAC is then fed via XLR cables to my Stax SRM-007tII amp (and SR-009 headphones), where the Stax amp also has its own volume control.

(a) I have the DAC volume control set to 46 out of a maximum 47. So it's deliverying essentially "almost maxed-out line level" analog input signal into the Stax amp. Totally distortion-free and noise-free.

(b) I have the Stax amp volume control set at around "2PM". Its volume control rotates from a counterclockwise minimum pointing at the 7, to a clockwise maximum pointing to the 5. So "2" is a good value that does not stress the amp, reproduces all levels of source beautifully, and produces noise-free excellent sound quality from the headphones.

(c) With the above two downstream volume levels I have set my default A16 volume (for my streaming device source presets) to 70, just because that's what I've found is the usual level I probably will be listening at when I watch streaming content from my Roku Ultra or ATV4K (I no longer use my Shield Tube at all). Of course any given program content may be a bit louder or softer, so I will adjust the A16 volume down or up a bit accordingly. But generally I don't have to drop it below 67 nor above 73, and of course that's due to how I've also set the downstream volume levels as stated above.

(d) Turns out my Oppo 203 (which is feeding bitstream audio via HDMI to the A16) seems to provide an initial audio level that seems to be a bit "hotter" than the streaming devices do for their content sources. The Oppo is used for both BD/DVD discs as well as for Spectrum cable-provided HDTV. Consequently I've got the A16 preset for the Oppo input set to default volume of 67, again just because I've found that's a good typical starting point that will not require me to adjust it further. However again, I might need to adjust it depending on the program source, and almost always it needs to be louder than 67 rather than softer.

By adjusting the downstream volume control to keep the A16 digital amp and volume control operating within the 67-75 range I have never seen any "clipping" red light on the A16. And sound quality through the headphones for all sources is superb.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #14,735 of 15,988
When using digital out of the A16, what's the ideal output volume on the A16 's dial?
Such that no digital clipping occurs. What setting that is depends on many things, see quote below. If clipping occurs the A16 will automatically reduce the volume (I think this can be disactivated in the settings, better make sure that it is activated). So if this happens, I figure it is best not to set the A16 volume higher than what the A16 lowered it to.
At what volume setting the [digital] clipping starts depends on many things. How loud are the virtual speakers? What frequencies are lifted by how much in the overall process, for example because the measured speakers/room had peaks, or the headphone had dips that needed to be EQd up, what frequencies are present at what level in the input channels? That is why it is hard to predict, if all above combines in an "unlucky" way the clipping starts at a lower volume level.

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #14,736 of 15,988
I have never seen any "clipping" red light on the A16.
Yeah, because there is none....
As sander said, when digital clipping occurs, the volume will be lowered by the A16...
You will be using the volume control on the A16 remote to be the one-and-only volume control you ever have to touch
This may be convenient, but is the complete wrong end of the chain to control volume. All circuits before the final amp, may they be digital or analog, should be set to the max. possible gain without clipping, distortion or too much noise. Volume control should be ideally done in the amp.
The keyword here is "gain structure".

As sander also said the max. possible "digital gain" in the A16 varies depending on many factors. I have to add the sources to hist list also. I have UHD BD Player as one source and a Fire Stick as another source and they have different (digital!) levels via HDMI. With BD player I can set the max. volume in the A16 higher than with the Fire Stick. So I use different presets with different stored volumes, that usually are just below clipping. In rare cases clipping may occur and the A16 lowers the volume a few clicks, but only occasionally so I leave it as it is.
I go via optical into an AV-Receiver where I split the signal and do LP/HP filtering and EQ-ing for my 2 shakers and then I go from the analog out to a HP amp. Unfortunately the HP amp has no remote control. Ideally I would control volume ONLY at the end of the chain in the amp. So the amp would have to be beside my chair, but this is not convenient, so I do volume control in the AV Receiver via its remote (or the Harmony Elite). At least the AV Receiver does volume control afaik in the analog realm after its DAC, via resistor networks.
Ideally I'd have remote controlled HP amp...

Apr 3, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #14,737 of 15,988
Such that no digital clipping occurs. What setting that is depends on many things, see quote below. If clipping occurs the A16 will automatically reduce the volume (I think this can be disactivated in the settings, better make sure that it is activated). So if this happens, I figure it is best not to set the A16 volume higher than what the A16 lowered it to.
Ah, okay. That makes sense, and also explains why I've had such a difficult time finding the one sweet spot. Just from experience, I've sort of settled around 63-65, which seems to yield adequate headroom, but I feared also a bit conservative.

One of the things confusing me was the adjustable max volume setting. I think I really just want to know where -0.0 is. Is the default max setting (a rather curious value of 79) the zero-point, or is it whatever the adjustable max setting is (99 I think?) is?

Where is zero?

Apr 3, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #14,738 of 15,988
Where is zero?
(For those who don't know: zero would be the volume setting where the digital output level would equal the digital input level, and hence a full level digital input signal would result in a full level digital output signal, or at least I assume that is what Nicholas means.)
Because of the complicated digital signal processing, that is effectively a sophisticated downmix from max 24 input channels to 2 output channels (the 2 headphone channels) where each input channel contributes to both output channels and a lot of filtering and adding reverb is involved, there is no zero in the usual sense. And it really depends on the PRIR and the HPEQ and the actual frequency content of the various input channels how the output levels relate to the input levels.

Apr 3, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #14,739 of 15,988
(For those who don't know: zero would be the volume setting where the digital output level would equal the digital input level, and hence a full level digital input signal would result in a full level digital output signal, or at least I assume that is what Nicholas means.)
Because of the complicated digital signal processing, that is effectively a sophisticated downmix from max 24 input channels to 2 output channels (the 2 headphone channels) where each input channel contributes to both output channels and a lot of filtering and adding reverb is involved, there is no zero in the usual sense. And it really depends on the PRIR and the HPEQ and the actual frequency content of the various input channels how the output levels relate to the input levels.
Well, I'm assuming all of the DSP magic would probably blow right through a -0.0 into digital gain territory and sound like trash, hence the need for copious headroom. I'm just trying to get a sense of where the location with the least amount of digital attenuation, while simultaneously offering adequate headroom is. But it seems like that zone is the neighborhood of 65 on the dial. Thank you.

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #14,740 of 15,988
I have to look up the exact numbers at the weekend, but basically for the Fire Stick I am in the 60-something range and for the BD Player it is 70-something ( I think 74). Or vice versa...
It's a bit trial and error. I set a specific volume in the 70-80 range and watch some movies (esp. with loud action scenes) and see if the A16 reduces the volume, and if it does with several loud movies I set back the default volume a bit and save it with the preset.

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #14,742 of 15,988
Actually I'm on volume level 71 for the UHD BD player and 76 for the Fire Stick (running D+ and amazon prime atm). These are the numbers I found where basically no clipping occurs, or only very seldom.
The Fire Stick is louder in many cases then as the BD player, it heavily depends on the streaming content running on the Fire Stick.
Since unfortunately most streaming content is dynamically compressed (especially on D+) it can run louder without clipping, because there are no major "jumps" in volume, compared to more dynamic tracks on most discs.

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #14,743 of 15,988
I will be able to make a custom measurement at a local 7.1.4 studio soon. The studio is equipped with a Pro Tools setup but also a regular AV receiver/blu ray player.

I was hoping to be able to make a async measurement, but I am wondering how I would be able to play back the async WAV files. Can I just burn them onto a blu ray? Are blu ray players usually able to play back multi channel audio files?

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #14,744 of 15,988
I will be able to make a custom measurement at a local 7.1.4 studio soon. The studio is equipped with a Pro Tools setup but also a regular AV receiver/blu ray player.

I was hoping to be able to make a async measurement, but I am wondering how I would be able to play back the async WAV files. Can I just burn them onto a blu ray? Are blu ray players usually able to play back multi channel audio files?
I fear you will need Dolby Atmos encoded async files if you want to go beyond 7.1 channels and capture the entire system "as is".

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back