Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #14,701 of 16,011
How do you connect the head tracker with IEMs?
You could use the headband that was supplied with the A16 (if only as a quick solution for initial experiments, just to see if IEMs work for you):
1679299033764.png

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #14,704 of 16,011
I never used the headtracker even when I used the Stax combo. In the early days of my A8, I would mute a left or right channel and then vice versa and that would lock me into the illusion very well.
Thanks for the ideas. I have just tried my Shure 1200 electrostatic IEMs with the A16 - absolutely amazed. Tested some of the different layouts and speakers from 3D soundshop and I am really impressed. Of course, the soundstage is not as good as my Senn 800 but this is far better than my other closed headphones. Minimal coloration and great dynamics. And I just used the standard Senn 800 HPEQ - it works well. Looks like a good solution for quiet evenings and happy marriages!

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #14,705 of 16,011
When connecting HDMI to PC, I suppose it's not possible to get only audio signal without having the "ghost" display appear on your PC as an additional display? I know that HDMI in general requires the video signal to be there as well but I wish there were some kind of workaround to get rid of that useless extra display that shows up.

Unfortunately disabling the display also disables the audio device.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #14,706 of 16,011
When connecting HDMI to PC, I suppose it's not possible to get only audio signal without having the "ghost" display appear on your PC as an additional display? I know that HDMI in general requires the video signal to be there as well but I wish there were some kind of workaround to get rid of that useless extra display that shows up.

Can you not just use USB (16 channel mode), or SPDIF (16 or 24 channel mode) out of the A16 to the PC? All outputs are live.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #14,707 of 16,011
Can you not just use USB (16 channel mode), or SPDIF (16 or 24 channel mode) out of the A16 to the PC? All outputs are live.
I thought SPDIF only supports 2ch audio? Or was I mistaken?

Is the SPDIF on the Realiser capable of 7.1 or more?

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #14,708 of 16,011
I changed my Realiser setup to use eARC with my LG OLED TV. Seems to work quite well, but I noticed that unless my A-16 is fully started before I turn on the TV, the TV identifies it as a DVD player. By any chance, has anyone else seen that and found a work around?

Not a big deal, but a bit inconvenient when I forget.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #14,709 of 16,011
I thought SPDIF only supports 2ch audio? Or was I mistaken?

Is the SPDIF on the Realiser capable of 7.1 or more?
Sorry... I was slightly confused by your post. Is the HDMI to/from your PC an input or an output?

From the user manual.

2. SPDIF input (coaxial or optical): Dolby Digital, DTS*, 2ch LPCM (24bit@48/96/192kHz)
3. USB 2.0 input: 16ch LPCM (24bit@96kHz)**

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #14,710 of 16,011

I've given up on touching that, just changing the video resolution for the A16 in my Nvidia settings messes up the audio somehow. I just live with a third invisible screen where I go lose my mouse on occasion.

Mar 21, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #14,711 of 16,011
You could use an HDMI splitter with advanced EDID management. That way your PC would only see one screen but you could feed the same signal to two screens. There are quite a few options if you're OK with HDMI 2.0 bandwidth, but if you need HDMI 2.1 then options are more limited. Some examples include the HDFury VRROOM (which has a dedicated audio only output) and the AVPro Edge AC-SC-1X with its "audio freerun" feature. Note that you can't use a cheap dumb splitter because you need to combine the audio bits from the Realiser's EDID with the video bits from your display's EDID or you might lose out on some features.

Mar 22, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #14,712 of 16,011
You could use an HDMI splitter with advanced EDID management. That way your PC would only see one screen but you could feed the same signal to two screens. There are quite a few options if you're OK with HDMI 2.0 bandwidth, but if you need HDMI 2.1 then options are more limited. Some examples include the HDFury VRROOM (which has a dedicated audio only output) and the AVPro Edge AC-SC-1X with its "audio freerun" feature. Note that you can't use a cheap dumb splitter because you need to combine the audio bits from the Realiser's EDID with the video bits from your display's EDID or you might lose out on some features.

This is very intriguing. Thanks for the suggestions.

So if you were to use one of these devices, I suppose it would look like:

HDMI out from PC -> HDMI splitter with EDID management -> one HDMI cable out to PC monitor + one HDMI cable out to the Realiser A16?

And then PC ends up only with the single display as wanted?

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #14,714 of 16,011

Sounds good. I guess I will do some more research into the EDID management splitters.

I wonder if the HDFury VRROOM would be the easiest to use & setup since it has the dedicated audio outs.

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #14,715 of 16,011
Sounds good. I guess I will do some more research into the EDID management splitters.

I wonder if the HDFury VRROOM would be the easiest to use & setup since it has the dedicated audio outs.
The VRROOM is good but you do have to config it a little. It has the best EDID configurability but I find that it doesn't always do exactly what I want. To avoid issues, you would want to power on both the monitor and the A16, and then use vrroom's automix to get video parameters from the monitor and audio parameters from the audio output. That will work but it may not be perfect long term depending on the order you power up your devices. So when you have everything as you want, you would want to save the active EDID (which will save it to a slot) and then configure that slot as a fixed EDID (i.e. stop using automix). That will avoid any future issues.

You can also of course make your own EDID which is what I have done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back