Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 7, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #14,266 of 15,989
More on the Disney+ Atmos issue from https://www.disneyplusinformer.com/dolby-atmos-not-working-on-disney-plus-heres-your-answer/

"Dolby Atmos Not Working On Disney Plus?
A recent app update has broken Dolby Atmos support on Disney+ for any device that runs Android. This includes devices such as Firesticks, Chromecast, Sony TV, Nvidia Shield and more.

Instead of Dolby Atmos being used, regular Dolby Digital 5.1 is being used instead.

Unfortunately, there isn’t much that be done to resolve this issue. Many have experienced success in casting from a phone onto their TVs instead.

Disney is likely aware of the issue and will eventually release an update to fix Dolby Atmos support. However, there is no timeline on when that might happen."
Problem is fixed. At least with my Fire Stick Atmos worked in D+ again on Saturday.
Also reported here: https://www.disneyplusinformer.com/dolby-atmos-not-working-on-disney-plus-heres-your-answer/
However on a german forum one guy said he still encounter the issue with his TCL TV running on Android.

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #14,269 of 15,989
I am one of the beta testers for the Omega Prirs from 3DSound Shop. Omega is now my go to prir for all listening , Atmos , Dts-X and Auro-3D. Exact Spatial positioning, Detail and resolution in the audio that I now have access to, I never believed it was possible when I started my journey of headphone surround many moons ago. For those who don’t have access to a studio for a Professional Prir capture and whose home system is less than ideal, 3DSoundshop Omega pack will surprise you, even more after a man-loud. For me, the BBC and Surrey Prirs are a distant memory now.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #14,270 of 15,989
Does anyone have more information on the omega speakers used in the 3d soundshop?. When I google them i get Omega Speakers brand which are single driver models but nothing that looks like the models John used. Also, do you know in what positions he used the floorstanders vs. The bookshelf speakers?

Thanks.

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #14,271 of 15,989
Does anyone have more information on the omega speakers used in the 3d soundshop?. When I google them i get Omega Speakers brand which are single driver models but nothing that looks like the models John used. Also, do you know in what positions he used the floorstanders vs. The bookshelf speakers?

Thanks.

Not sure about the speakers - Omega may be referring to the PRIR being the "ultimate".

Information on the PRIR creation a popup at https://3dsoundshop.com/omega-96/

"Omega 65 & 96
Compatible With All Formats
Atmos / DTS:X / Auro-3D
After many hundreds of hours in the recording studio… and countless PRIR measurements. It is my pleasure to introduce and offer my final studio PRIR.. The Omega 65 & 96. These 35 Channel PRIRs consists of all the features needed for a future-proof experience with the Realiser A16.

The 65 & 96 indicate the distances in inches from the speakers to the main listening position. Both versions were created in the same recording studio used for my earlier PRIRs. Several new techniques including miniDSP and advanced room correction were used to create PRIRs that meet the highest standards.

The 65 showcases my standard PRIR experience. Minimal reverb, crisp detail and crystal clear audio. As a compliment, the 96 was made with the same exacting attention to detail. This PRIR gives the listener the same level of audio quality, but with a little more breathing room. For even more flexibility, the center channel of the 96 can be swapped with the 65 for more detailed dialogue while maintaining the slightly diffused soundstage of the larger space.

The bed layer of both PRIR versions were made using full-range tower speakers… the height and top channels are both made of matching bookshelf speakers. The PRIR’s layout is a laser assisted, perfectly symmetrical 12.1.10. All channels have been place in the exact locations and specs required by Dolby, DTS, Auro-3D. No Remapping Required.

Happy Listening!"

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #14,274 of 15,989
These 35 Channel PRIRs...

The PRIR’s layout is a laser assisted, perfectly symmetrical 12.1.10. All channels have been place in the exact locations and specs required by Dolby, DTS, Auro-3D. No Remapping required.
I am basically illiterate. Since I've never played with any of the functionality (e.g. manLoud, etc.) involved here in tweaking the generic PRIR to be more like a 'personal" measurement, can you please clarify how these statements are consistent (assuming no typo).

Again... I'm essentially illiterate about these advanced details. I've never made my own PRIR, nor have I ever had a PRIR engineered for me (while I sat like a dummy) for anything other than the A8. Also I've never investigated what the actual purchased "product" consists of from 3D Soundshop. So forgive my obvious ignorance.

(a) isn't 12.1.10 a 23-channel (i.e. 23 speaker) setup? How is that a "35 channel PRIR"? (or is this a typo?)

(b) don't Dolby, DTS and Auro-3D each have their own unique speaker location diagrams, angles, heights, etc.? And doesn't Auro-3D support fewer total speakers than Dolby? So how is one PRIR usable for all of these listening rooms, and specifically "with no remapping required"? How can that be? Aren't different standard speaker locations needed for an accurate PRIR designed for a given reproduction "listening room"?

Go ahead... you can talk to me as you would to a child.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #14,275 of 15,989
I am basically illiterate. Since I've never played with any of the functionality (e.g. manLoud, etc.) involved here in tweaking the generic PRIR to be more like a 'personal" measurement, can you please clarify how these statements are consistent (assuming no typo).

Again... I'm essentially illiterate about these advanced details. I've never made my own PRIR, nor have I ever had a PRIR engineered for me (while I sat like a dummy) for anything other than the A8. Also I've never investigated what the actual purchased "product" consists of from 3D Soundshop. So forgive my obvious ignorance.

(a) isn't 12.1.10 a 23-channel (i.e. 23 speaker) setup? How is that a "35 channel PRIR"? (or is this a typo?)

(b) don't Dolby, DTS and Auro-3D each have their own unique speaker location diagrams, angles, heights, etc.? And doesn't Auro-3D support fewer total speakers than Dolby? So how is one PRIR usable for all of these listening rooms, and specifically "with no remapping required"? How can that be? Aren't different standard speaker locations needed for an accurate PRIR designed for a given reproduction "listening room"?

Go ahead... you can talk to me as you would to a child.
Hi Darryl, I'll do my best; I'm sure that John(@Litlgi74, a.k.a. the proprietor of 3D Soundshop) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, 12.1.10 is a 23 channel speaker setup. However, not every channel is used in every configuration. The Atmos height speaker channels are, of course, specific to Dolby Atmos configurations. The Auro 3D height speakers channels, including the directly overhead or "voice of God" speaker, are specific to Auro 3D configurations. So, you have up to 12.1.10 for Dolby Atmos and up to 13.1 for Auro 3D. Thirty-five channels total are needed to give you the appropriate speaker angles to service both formats but you are never actually utilizing/experiencing all 35 channels at once; that is the key. Because Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D presets access different height channels, this explains why no further remapping is needed. Hope this helps.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #14,276 of 15,989
For those who don’t have access to a studio for a Professional Prir capture and whose home system is less than ideal, 3DSoundshop Omega pack will surprise you, even more after a man-loud
Please beware that this is not necessarilly the case for everyone. It depends how similar or different someone's hrtf is compared to John's. Also I think some people are more and some people are less sensitive to those differences.

@Litlgi74: I have an idea: what if you gave away a free sample PRIR containing only one single virtual speaker? That, in addition to your demo tracks, would give some extra information to potential buyers.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #14,277 of 15,989
Please beware that this is not necessarilly the case for everyone. It depends how similar or different someone's hrtf is compared to John's. Also I think some people are more and some people are less sensitive to those differences.

@Litlgi74: I have an idea: what if you gave away a free sample PRIR containing only one single virtual speaker? That, in addition to your demo tracks, would give some extra information to potential buyers.
Agree, Apart from what you pointed out, my observations are that overall Headphone surround works well for some and doesn't for others due to imbalances in the ear. All pre rendered speakers demos are available on 3dSoundShop.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #14,278 of 15,989

Thanks.
Greetings Browns Fan. As someone who grew up in the "Best Location in the Nation", and who cut his teeth on football watching Jim Brown, Paul Warfield , Gary Collins, Lou Groza, Leroy Kelly and Frank Ryan lead the Browns to their last NFL title in 1964, I welcome you as a fellow lifelong fan!

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #14,279 of 15,989
Hi Darryl, I'll do my best; I'm sure that John(@Litlgi74, a.k.a. the proprietor of 3D Soundshop) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, 12.1.10 is a 23 channel speaker setup. However, not every channel is used in every configuration. The Atmos height speaker channels are, of course, specific to Dolby Atmos configurations. The Auro 3D height speakers channels, including the directly overhead or "voice of God" speaker, are specific to Auro 3D configurations. So, you have up to 12.1.10 for Dolby Atmos and up to 13.1 for Auro 3D. Thirty-five channels total are needed to give you the appropriate speaker angles to service both formats but you are never actually utilizing/experiencing all 35 channels at once; that is the key. Because Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D presets access different height channels, this explains why no further remapping is needed. Hope this helps.
Thanks. John has already PM'd me to provide additional detailed information and clarification.

But your response here certainly explains things sufficiently to wipe away much of my original confusion. You omitted mention of DTS:X as well, as a third factor regarding potential speaker placement and the total of 35 individual speaker definitions/channels required to support the three immersive formats. But I understand now what the 35 number represents.

Still to be determined is whether or not listening through anybody else's personalized PRIR (even measured using a dummy generic head) is sufficient to satisfy. Significantly better than something very basic, like Dolby Headphone? Any better than the A16's BBC listening room? Does its magic come from the underlying speakers and electronic equipment and room treatments, so that a PRIR captured in a million dollar room is guaranteed to give you more chills than from a 50,000 dollar room PRIR? Or does it come from your own ears and brain, truly having enjoyed one listening environment's sound more than that of another no matter the price, and being able to re-virtually immerse yourself into it again any time you want to listen to something new through that specific PRIR?

Is there an obvious "winner" among 20 different PRIR's? For you maybe, but someone else may pick a different "winner"? Probably.

Anyway, definitely worth pursuing, and experimenting.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #14,280 of 15,989
Thanks. John has already PM'd me to provide additional detailed information and clarification.

But your response here certainly explains things sufficiently to wipe away much of my original confusion. You omitted mention of DTS:X as well, as a third factor regarding potential speaker placement and the total of 35 individual speaker definitions/channels required to support the three immersive formats. But I understand now what the 35 number represents.

Still to be determined is whether or not listening through anybody else's personalized PRIR (even measured using a dummy generic head) is sufficient to satisfy. Significantly better than something very basic, like Dolby Headphone? Any better than the A16's BBC listening room? Does its magic come from the underlying speakers and electronic equipment and room treatments, so that a PRIR captured in a million dollar room is guaranteed to give you more chills than from a 50,000 dollar room PRIR? Or does it come from your own ears and brain, truly having enjoyed one listening environment's sound more than that of another no matter the price, and being able to re-virtually immerse yourself into it again any time you want to listen to something new through that specific PRIR?

Is there an obvious "winner" among 20 different PRIR's? For you maybe, but someone else may pick a different "winner"? Probably.

Anyway, definitely worth pursuing, and experimenting.
I have Genelec, B&W, Dutch&Dutch ,Omega and Focal Prirs from 3DSoundShop. My pick is Omega. Also generic demos pre rendered in multichannel are available for all prirs, you can get a fair idea with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back